New Thompson Center Venture .270 Win

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I ordered this beauty (to me) on Veterans Day, and I received it today.
I got it from Northern Firearms out of Minnesota. Only 4 days to ship from Northern border to Southern Border.
I put a new Nikon Buckmaster II on it, inside Leupold rings.
I can't wait to go out and shoot it, and see if it lives up to it's guarantee.
I wanted it in .270, and it comes with a 24 inch barrel, to wring out the most available velocities it can.
Does anyone on here have any experience with the TC Venture?
b3e6a60f81572537437cd176dd44e397.jpg
0da7450e2c55d1b0b3c60f650e5e7552.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Those that I shot were certainly shooters. It is a handsome rifle, one that will undoubtedly serve you well. Great cartridge, and the 24 inch barrel won't hurt velocities at all.

DrMike":3qeamj0a said:
Those that I shot were certainly shooters. It is a handsome rifle, one that will undoubtedly serve you well. Great cartridge, and the 24 inch barrel won't hurt velocities at all.
Thank you DRMike!
I was actually going to go with a Ruger American Rifle in .270 WCF, until I did some research. My buddy Fotis pointed me in the direction of 3 rifles, the Ruger American, the T/C Venture, or the T/C Compass.
I looked at all 3 very hard, saw the different reviews online, until I saw an article from Rifle Shooter Magazine, and saw what the writer had said about the T/C Venture.
WOW! I was hooked after that article!

270 is a terrific cartridge! Hoping your new rifle performs well for you.

Looking forward to some range reports and wondering if you've got plans for hunting with it this fall, or not until next year?

Guy

My little sister has a venture in 243. It’s a shooter no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":1zybt1bu said:
270 is a terrific cartridge! Hoping your new rifle performs well for you.

Looking forward to some range reports and wondering if you've got plans for hunting with it this fall, or not until next year?

Guy
Thank you Guy!
I'm going to do a range report on it, then I'm going to test it out on some wild hogs here, and then hopefully deer hunt here in South Central Texas this year. If not, then definitely next year, for sure!

The Ventures are good rifles. My couple were pretty accurate as well. Solid action on them and the stocks aint 1/2 bad either.

Cleveland48":wngvepge said:
My little sister has a venture in 243. It’s a shooter no doubt.

That's what I read. Get some decent ammo, and they are excellent shooters all day long.

Hers shoot factory Winchester power points a little under 3/4” consistently.

Cleveland48":2i6c7las said:
Hers shoot factory Winchester power points a little under 3/4” consistently.

WOW! That's Awesome!

HAWKEYESATX":3kb9u2se said:
DrMike":3kb9u2se said:
Thank you DRMike!
I was actually going to go with a Ruger American Rifle in .270 WCF, until I did some research. My buddy Fotis pointed me in the direction of 3 rifles, the Ruger American, the T/C Venture, or the T/C Compass.
I looked at all 3 very hard, saw the different reviews online, until I saw an article from Rifle Shooter Magazine, and saw what the writer had said about the T/C Venture.
WOW! I was hooked after that article!

FOTIS didn't point you in the wrong direction. Any of those would be a fine acquisition. You did well with your selection.

After handling the rifle, and putting the scope on, the rifle, I noticed, isn't like a lot of the other economy rifles out there.
The synthetic stock actually feels sturdy.
It's bolt is polished, and blued just like the other parts of the rifle.
It has a great balance, and the forearm is plenty thick, and fills my big hands well.
It is quality, and affordable.
I'm very pleasantly surprised from it.

HAWKEYESATX":2wosz8fo said:
After handling the rifle, and putting the scope on, the rifle, I noticed, isn't like a lot of the other economy rifles out there.
It has a great balance, and the forearm is plenty thick, and fills my big hands well.

They do have one of the nicer factory stocks

Cleveland48":1nxrcpus said:
HAWKEYESATX":1nxrcpus said:

They do have one of the nicer factory stocks

I agree! It's not flimsy feeling or as hollow sounding like the Marlin XL7 or the Ruger American Rifle.

I think you'll be well pleased . how does the trigger feel on it ?

years ago I played with a savage axis for a new young shooter . I got the rifle to shoot pretty well , I was pleasantly surprised . I remember the trigger being very heavy . I had to really pay attention to trigger pull when I was shooting it .

jimbires":20x5dpc1 said:

years ago I played with a savage axis for a new young shooter . I got the rifle to shoot pretty well , I was pleasantly surprised . I remember the trigger being very heavy . I had to really pay attention to trigger pull when I was shooting it .
It's a nice pull. One of the lightest I've felt on an economy rifle.
Now, I had to tighten the Weaver style bases before I set my scope. I had read from other posts that their bases were semi loose and they had not so great groups.
So, I checked them right away. They're good now.

I have a 300 wsm and had a 25-06 both are very accurate you’ll like it. Also have ruger American.308 it’s very accurate also but flimsy stock. I would rate the tc’s more favorable to me.

HAWKEYESATX":3uzxntcv said:
jimbires":3uzxntcv said:

It's a nice pull. One of the lightest I've felt on an economy rifle.
Now, I had to tighten the Weaver style bases before I set my scope. I had read from other posts that their bases were semi loose and they had not so great groups.
So, I checked them right away. They're good now.

Buddy , that sounds great . please let us know how it shoots when you get her out .

I have a 30'ish year old girl customer that hunts with the TC rifles . I don't remember what model she likes , but she swears by them .she has a couple of them , and I know she bought another in 30.06 through the summer .

These rifles are very easy to do a trigger job on by cutting a coil off the spring in the trigger assembly. I found a video on you tube showing how to do it.

Back