Dad's 280 and reflections

Sgt H

Beginner
Nov 15, 2018
For its 60th birthday I brought Dad's Remington m/725 in .280 out of semi retirement for this hunting season. Dad purchased this rifle new in 1957 or 1958 while stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. This was my Dad's first and only big game rifle until the last few years of his life when he used a .243 as he said the .280's recoil was getting to be too much. Dad had hunted as a young man but only small game as deer were very scarce in the area where he grew up.
I remember asking Dad when I was a very young why a .280 and he replied it was a better round than the .270 Win or 30-06. I also remember him having to have the Rod and Gun Club special order ammunition as .280 was not a normal stock item and could not be found at stores in town. Dad had always used the 150gr corelokt factory ammo. This situation prompted our getting into reloading. I think I was about 15 at the time. Dad told me it would be my responsibility to load the ammo to keep our hunting rifles fed which I accepted with much enthusiasm. Dad provided supervision as I learned.
Anyway on the second weekend of the season I harvested a respectable whitetail buck with Dad's rifle. I even used 150gr Corelokt ammo. I think Dad would be proud. Somewhere I have a picture of the first buck Dad harvested with the .280 and I will post it if I can find it. That buck was not first big game animal Dad harvested. I remember Dad telling me about his first big game harvest which was not even in the states, it was in Europe during WW2. Dad told me they supplemented the K rations which they primarily lived on any time they could. Dad shot a deer with a M1 carbine. I am not sure if it was by Dad's design but I harvested my first deer with a Winchester M1 carbine manufactured in 1943, I was 9 years old. I vividly remember that hunt and harvest though is was over 50 years ago. Still have the carbine too.

What a great first post! Welcome aboard, and thank you for the excellent account of some special memories. I do love the .280; I believe it is one cartridge that I simply won't be without. I've harvested a ton of deer with the cartridge (and a few elk and black bears). Again, welcome aboard.

I don't know if it's better, but it surely is a capable cartridge. Thank you for sharing your story!

Another 280 Rem fan here!
Great cartridge and a good all around choice for north american big game. Might not be my first choice for grizzly or brown bears, or bison (which I have seen harvested with the 280 with one well placed shot, but if I had nothing else, it would still do within shorter ranges with heavier bullets.
My own personal bias; I believe the 280 to be better than the 270 or 30-06!
(To those who may cry foul or disagree, this is purely my own personal opinion, and yes, I have taken big game such as mule deer, mountain goat, caribou and moose with the 270 Win and moose with the 30-06, both good cartridges. I just like the 280 better! LOL)
Mine is a lefthanded Remington 700 XCR that I took the 30-06 barrel off, and screwed on the stainless fluted barrel from a Remington 700 CDL SF Limited, and trigger guard and floorplate. I also have a Remington LH LSS stock glass bedded and pillar bedded on it. I did keep the XCR stock andalso had it glass andpillar bedded for bad weather/rough country hunts. There is no shift in poi when changing from one stock to another.
To date, I have harvested mule deer and elk with the 280 Rem, and need to get it out in the field more!
My favourite bullets are the 160/162 gr bullets from Nosler, Sierra and Hornady. If I were to choose just one, it would be the 160gr AccuBond.

Great first post.
Terrific memories and story.
My 280s are Ackley but it’s a great cartridge.
Welcome!

Great story and first post!

I bought my first 280 this year after 50 years of hunting, started with a 30-06, then a 270, several various magnums and a 25-06. Seems to be a great all around cartridge, just like the 30-06 and 270.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds a lot like my dad.
His first rifle was a Remington 740 in 280 Rem.
He killed pronghorns, mulies and whitetails with that gun for 40 years until it developed a mechanical problem and was no longer reliable to shoot.
He then bought a 30-06 as he couldn't find a 280 bolt gun locally on short notice.
He shot that for a couple of years until a Remington 700 in 7MM Express showed up on the used rack at the local gun store.
I bought it for him for $319.00 and gave it to him for a present.
I still have that rifle and my brother kept his 30-06.

Welcome aboard !

Great story and awesome rifle and cartridge. The 280 Remington and 280 AI are sure fantastic cartridges!!

Post some pictures up..

David

The .280 Rem. is an interesting cartridge. I finally got around to having one built on 1909 Argentine Mauser, action marked DWM. (Means it's a good one. Made in Germany. (y) ) Barrel is 24" the stock strictly classic with metal grip cap and trap door butt plate. SCope is a Burris Fullfield II 3x9X. Probably should have done this a long time ago.

I've run a few handloads with various weight bullets but the one it seems to like best is the old Speer two core Grand Slam over WMR powder. (Winchester Magnum Rifle. It's been discontinued for a bit over ten years now but I have plenty) Winchester nickel plated brass, 57.8 gr. WMR, WLR primer and the 160 gr. Speer grand Slam. Velocity 2907 FPS. According to the Winchester booklet #15 velocity should be 2795 FPS with pressure 56,800 P.S.I. Accuracy average is .75".

Sadly, my elk hunt for this year did not come about so I guess it's hope I get to hunt next year so I can see just what the rifle and cartridge will do.
Paul B.

Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing the story. I also have a soft spot for the 280. Mine is a M70 fwt and it's accomplished everything I've asked of it, with ease..My dads M1 story from WW2 is that he had a BAR in the landing craft at Omaha beach, when the front dropped and they all stormed off, the water was much deeper than they were told and he dropped the BAR to keep from drowning. He grabbed an M1 when he got to the beach, in his words "there were plenty laying around to choose from"

I started handloading with the purchase of a Mod 77/.280 in 1977! It got traded off, but I learned a great deal with that round. I killed my longest shot whitetail with that rifle, 55gr IMR4831/Hornady 139sp. 276 looong steps down a pipeline right of way ( East Texas). He still had a mouthful of grass, drt!

Back