What is a Drilling?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
We had that question in another thread, so I thought I introduce a tipical German allrounder from the time when there was mostly small game hunting with a few deer from time to time.
The normal Drilling came without scope and has two triggers. The one in the back fires the left shotgun barrel, the one in the front the right one or the bullet. The push-button on the stock selects which one fires. Forward is the rifle-barrel.
The front-trigger can be pre-set by pushing it forward, which reduces trigger-weight down to almost nothing, which might cause accidents if you forget to'unset' it before bouncing the gun around.

I have a 22 hornet inlay-barrel in the right shotgun barrel, so I can use the light trigger-pull.
I use the gun in winter for pelt-hunting with shot for closer ranges, the hornet for longer distances and the 8x57 IRS if a boar walks by.
Might put a slug in the shotgun barrel, if I want to hunt mainly boar, but I usually take the Tikka T3 for that.

There are other configurations with two rifle-barrel or the rifle-barrel on top, but this is the standard-version. If I remember correctly it is from 1954, made by Sauer&Sohn.

Cheers,
Frank
475b3b3214523ee1c6afb443f8fa33ee.jpg
27ea7a7b0385a5aa399b5ef32bb18a1f.jpg
86af49c75d44f6e6b8d6d46f7c0d9c72.jpg
9228e6e2020370b7b4146f0013320e87.jpg
fa4b1389fd9b1584426cd9d5c7066609.jpg
8ddf1103aacb02017a9d5cf8488bd9b4.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

thank you --- questions

how accurate is the bottom rifle barrel ?

What does it weight ?

Frank, I understand how you are now using it, but if I you were hunting a wounded leopard would you use the shotgun barrels ( if it was in its original condition) for up close follow up shots and use the bottom rifle barrel to shot him if he is a little ways off when you found him--is that the idea.

That is a very unique and interesting rifle--thank you for the explanation

hunternyny":1fs63r71 said:
thank you --- questions

how accurate is the bottom rifle barrel ?

What does it weight ?

Frank, I understand how you are now using it, but if I you were hunting a wounded leopard would you use the shotgun barrels ( if it was in its original condition) for up close follow up shots and use the bottom rifle barrel to shot him if he is a little ways off when you found him--is that the idea.

That is a very unique and interesting rifle--thank you for the explanation
I do not have much experience with slugs and none with wounded leopards, so I cannot really answer that. I guess the slugs should have enough stopping power.

The rifle-barrel is welded to the shotgun barrels, so it is heat-sensitive.
If I let it cool down, it is sub-moa with my handloads.

With the scope it is around 10 lbs.

It would look better with a smaller scope, but for night hunting the bigger one (Schmidt&Bender) is better.

And since it is mounted with a classic 'Suhler-Einhakmontage', putting another scope on would be REALLY expensive

Frank, that is a vey sweet set up you have and it fits what you want to hunt perfectly. Very Nice!

Also, Dr Mike and Earle will get a kick out of my next statement--"finally, someone else besides me that likes S & B " lol

John, I have never tracked a wounded leopard, but I know those who have and did so with a 'drilling" They used a double 12 on top and loaded it with buckshot or #2 pellets. This is to get two shots off quick, if necessary, and as you stated, the bottom rifle barrel could be used if logistics allow.

Don't want to step on any toes, but the German speaking (including Swarowski in Austria) know how to built scopes.

Though they know how to put a price-tag on them, too...

Forgot to mention: Drilling means triplet. So a very un-creative name for a weapon with three barrels.
If you want to put it positively, it is German no-nonsense efficiency ....

Now, April, I like S&B. They are just not commonly available to me here. Consequently, Frank, I own more German/Austrian scopes than about any others. Yes, I do more Swarovski, Kahles and Zeiss scopes than other brands. I do appreciate the quality. You are correct about the companies knowing how to put a price tag on their products!

Concerning price tags: i think they loose worth during shipping - you can get better prices in the US than here.
Same with cars. A neighbour once re-inported a Volkswagen built here and saved lots of money.
Well, since I am a food scientist, I do not have to understand that...

Back