Never really thought I’d do it and it’s JD’s fault

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Some years back J.D posted about taking a buck, in the U.P, with his 45-70 lever. At least I think he did as my memory isn’t too good these days. I thought it would be fun but not very practical for me at the time. But you guys know how it goes, sometimes you get a sliver in your finger and it just keeps working at you an working at you until you do something about it.

Well a “Remlin” 1895 in 45-70 came home with me and I put a Leupold VX3 in 2 x 6 on it. Loaded up some 300 gn Nosler and learned a few things.

#1. It is a blast to shoot (no pun intended)
#2 It is an extremely accurate rifle/bullet combo
#3. After 9-10 shots off the bench it’ll give you a headache.

Thanks J.D, I hope I can do the same for you some day lol.

Long

Yup, the longing for and acquisition of rifles firing assorted cartridges is a disease. There is a simple cure, but surrendering to the craving is far wiser. It is always a good thing to share this particular disease with others, encouraging them to share in this fine and pleasant misery. There is, after all, a perverse pleasure in witnessing others succumb to the siren allure of a new rifle or handgun, knowing that you shared in leading them down that particular garden path. Who knows, they may even allow you to fondle their new acquisition, though I wouldn't count on it.

For some reason, that I'm fully incapable of explaining, I've had the hankering for a 458 SOCOM. I have no idea what I would do with such a bizarre chambering on an AR platform but that didn't stop me from flipping the switch.

Merry Christmas to me, from me. lol

Long,

Are you thinking about this cedar swamp buck I shot a few years ago?
The Marlin 1895G 45-70 with a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm shooting the Nosler 300 gr BST at 2100 fps really puts the deer down!
LsnotfR.jpg

Congratulations on your Marlin 1895G 45-70! It is indeed a fun gun to shoot and it is an absolute hammer on WT deer.

JD338

bdbrown66":rth0tqdz said:
I'm on a mission to make sure all of my shooting buddies' wives hate me. :lol:

Been there, done that. :)

JD338

Well there is a sure cure for the problem. One you can stay off this forum or number 2 take a rubber mallet and lay your hand on a flat surface and give it a good wack with the mallet. :)>)

Rodger, is that only because it will feel so much better when you stop hammering your hand? LOL

Long, good on you! So glad that JD enabled you into this new acquisition!
The smile on your face from having such a "blast" is well worth it!

Blkram":3na1qqtz said:
Rodger, is that only because it will feel so much better when you stop hammering your hand? LOL

Long, good on you! So glad that JD enabled you into this new acquisition!
The smile on your face from having such a "blast" is well worth it!
Gee well it does feel better once you get over the need or desire but it sure makes you forget about wanting the new gun very quickly especially if the spouse is using the hammer.
Oh and make sure she isn't using a HATCHET :shock: :!: :!: :!: :lol:

There’s just something cool about a lever resting on a deer pic.

Nice to see that one JD!

Back