6.5 Creedmoor v. Mule Deer

A

Anonymous

Last year a good friend of mine was intrigued by the results a couple of friends of mine and myself were getting with the Barrett Fieldcraft and the 6.5CM cartridge. Although a highly experienced hunter, he's a little older and getting ready for retirement and has a couple physical issues that make heavy rifles and harsh recoil not the best idea anymore.

Long story short- he was skeptical about all the hype surrounding the 6.5 but picked up the Barrett with a 21" barrel and topped it with the 6x42 Leupold. We worked up a load using the 143gr ELD-X that shot 1/2 MOA groups as routinely as the sun rises in the morning.

He was finally able to get it into the field a couple of weeks ago and just had glowing reports. 5 mule deer KO'd from 100 to 350 yards over 4 days of hunting. Everything was a one shot kill and nothing ran more than a few steps. He's completely sold on the rifle, scope and cartridge combo for deer and antelope and such. His quote- "I've done far too much hunting to believe in a magic bullet...but this thing comes as close and anything I've ever used!"

He wants to work up a 140gr AB or Partition load to tackle heavier game should the opportunity arise. He figures he can spend his retirement having his grandkids pull animals out of the woods for him!

Well good on him! Sounds like a freezer full of deer!
While not magical, the 6.5 is a great cartridge and will continue to perform well within its intended limits.
I have used it on moose, and would not be afraid of using it on unwary elk at modest ranges, I do fear that some people are pressing it into service beyond its capacity, such as long range elk medicine.
I think he would be happy with the 140 AccuBond. Looking forward to trying it in my rifle.

hodgeman":3jvairvz said:
He was finally able to get it into the field a couple of weeks ago and just had glowing reports. 5 mule deer KO'd from 100 to 350 yards over 4 days of hunting. Everything was a one shot kill and nothing ran more than a few steps.

Five mule deer?

Wow! Yup, his load & rifle are working well and obviously he knows how to use it.

Regards, Guy

That is surely encouraging. Good on your friend. That is certainly a freezer full of deer.

Good bullets in the ribs make short work of most animals. I love my little 6.5 CM as well. The 147’s are pretty tough on deer sized animals.

Back