Wood stock recoil lug area cracks.

baltz526

Handloader
Sep 25, 2005
Out at the range today. My 7mm rem mag was not acting normal. Flinging bullets low then high, Two groups 2" apart. I removed action from stock and found 3 cracks. two at top, minor ones on the flat behind front action bolt. One major crack through bedding at the steel insert for front screw. This is a Zastava interarms Mauser original wood stock. The good thing is I had 2 other synthetic stocks for mausers in the pile. The one I mounted is a Hogue with Steel inserts and the rubbery over molding. I got it in a trade so I have no Idea how well it will work.

Sounds as if the action screw was either loose moving during recoil, or over-tightened and the pressure cracked the stock.

It can be repaired (if not too bad, and desired) with glass bedding. Would recommend adding metal (powder) to bedding compound to add strength.
This was done on a repaired Ruger M77 stock of mine that cracked. Also had it pillar bedded at the same time, and two cross pins were added to the stocks action area, like those found on big bore rifles.

I have done that to another cracked wood stock. It was unsuccessful in bringing the accuracy back. Dropped it in a new take off synthetic and it was shooting better than the old wood. I will find out at the range if I got lucky again.

The Hogue stock got it shooting again. Groups instead of patterns. It is lighter now by about 1lb.

I bedded the action and have everything ready for the next range test. Hoping to see 1" groups again. 140gr Ab with an H1000 ladder test.

Nice results. A pound lighter and probably will never go bad.

Too bad about the wood stock. It happens though.

Guy

Back