600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Finally got some rounds downrange at 600 yards with the 6 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle! I am very pleased. Shot from the bench, with the rifle on a Harris bipod, no rear bag. Ammo was my handloaded 108 gr Hornady ELD Match bullets with H4350. I had removed the muzzle brake and did notice a little more muzzle jump, despite the weight of the rifle.

Used the Jeep to set out my 600 yard paper & steel targets. Fresh snow from yesterday!
eqgcGtll.jpg

Set up the rifle, on the bipod, with no rear bag. Had to clear snow off the bench!
x329w5ql.jpg

The Vortex. I'm finally happy with it. Great scope for this rifle!
QQa38uyl.jpg

600 yard target, some of my last few shots after I'd found my 600 yard dope today. I'm pretty sure I pulled that one high and left. Feeling good about that:
frtV2qWl.jpg

Spent most of my time banging this steel gong at 600 yards. Sure was fun! I hadn't shot 600 yards in quite a while.
Pc2Cdjil.jpg

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle, the scope, the load, and even myself. Didn't even try prone today, was having too much fun from the bench.

Felt good to get some rounds downrange from 600 again.

Guy

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that, looks great!

I have to travel some hundred miles to shoot more than 330y,

I can imagine you enjoyed the day!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Alwyas satisfying to hit your targets!
Glad you're having fun with your Creedmoor.
Need to get out and shoot my 6.5 more!
Our range goes out to 500 yards.

Guy, glad to see things are working out with the rifle, optics, ammo, and your shooting. Looks like a very satisfying day for you.

Dan

There you go! Glad you enjoyed yourself, but I tend to agree w/ TD. If I gotta clear snow off the bench I'm staying home :) . Tougher than me! CL

Thanks all. I'll update time to time. I think I can get better accuracy from this thing. I need to learn the rifle better. So far only 37 rounds downrange:

17 factory
20 handloads

All with the 108 gr Hornady ELD bullet. I'll do some tinkering with the load. Don't think I'll mess with the overall length very much, if at all. I just used the factory cartridge to set my dies, and built my ammo to match it. This rifle works real well, feeding from the magazine. My handloads worked from the magazine into the chamber just as slick as can be.

Not sure there's a lot of room for adjusting the length, without making it too long to fit in the magazine.

Not sure there's any point in seating the bullet deeper - the case was designed to let the bullet be seated well out.

But I'll mess with it a bit, and I do want to try some other powders as well, Superformance comes to mind.

Those two shots that landed so close together, at 600 yards, have me intrigued. Years ago I could sometimes shoot 2.5" and 3" groups at 600 with the 308 Green Machine... Am thinking this rifle might equal or beat that, once we get to know each other better.

Guy

RL26 should work real well Guy. It’s pretty good with 200’s at 2700 from your 06 as well....

Darn good shooting. Thanks for the update, that is a round I'm interested in for long range playing and windy day coyotes.

Good shooting Guy. It looks like that rifles wants to shoot. I don't overly enjoy load development so when a rifle shoots like that out of the gate it puts a smile on my face and I'm sure yours too.

Had BUG out at the rifle range yesterday in some gusty winds. Still didn't get around to using my chronograph, but shot it at 600, then later at 300 yards. Put another 30 rounds through it. All handloads, all with the 108 gr Hornady. Some with H4350, some with "Superformance" powder. Neither powder seemed more accurate than the other, but in those winds it was kinda hard to tell.

Also - I'm not as good at this precision rifle stuff as I once was. I'll admit that. Did all my shooting yesterday from the bench, with BUG on a bipod. "BUG" is my nickname for this Big Ugly Gun. ;)

At 300 yards I had some groups starting to look real good, with a couple of shots within an inch of each other, then I'd mess up on the trigger or just not get as steady as I should have, and I'd open that group up. But none of 'em were bad. If the groups were at 100 yards, I wouldn't be happy, but they were at 300 yards.

At 600 I was having trouble with the wind, but the more I shot, the better I got at doping the wind and using the hashmarks in my scope to hold off for the wind. Mostly I was hitting at 600, but did some missing too. That's when I decided to go over to the 300 for the rest of my rifle shooting. I think 10 shots at 600 and 20 at 300. It was a nice, gusty, afternoon. No snow on the range anymore. Kinda enjoying that.

Guy

Just seeing this thread now, somehow missed it when you first posted it Guy. Looks like a real fun rifle to shoot and once you get that load tweaked it will be excellent. Looks great already with minimal load development. What is the exact model of Vortex scope that you have and are you still happy with it after your last range visit?

gerry":30djga9h said:
Just seeing this thread now, somehow missed it when you first posted it Guy. Looks like a real fun rifle to shoot and once you get that load tweaked it will be excellent. Looks great already with minimal load development. What is the exact model of Vortex scope that you have and are you still happy with it after your last range visit?

Gerry - it took me a while to warm up to that Vortex scope - but for me, it's pretty much perfect on this rifle. It's a 6-24 Viper PST with the MOA reticle. Very BRIGHT image. Elevation & windage seem to be repeatable. I like the reticle. It's a second-focal plane reticle in my scope.

Ya, it's an interesting rifle. HEAVY, muzzle heavy. A pleasure to shoot. Wouldn't be fun hiking around with it. Actually reminds me more of a military weapon than a sporting arm.

It shoots really well, easily, and I'm convinced it's a true 1,000 yard rifle, though I haven't shot it beyond 600 yards.

My purpose for it is mostly just as a range toy. I'd hoped to shoot some PRS matches with it, or perhaps F-Class, but I can't sustain a decent prone position anymore due to neck issues. So, I just shoot it for fun now. That's fine.

Guy

Good to know about the scope, thanks. When you take it out to 1000 it will be cool to see how it performs for you.

How is the scope tracking Guy?

Is that the HST? or?

maverick2":2lds0gxr said:
Guy -- do you know off hand what length and twist rate are for the barrel on that rifle?

Yes, it's a 24" barrel, and the twist is 1:7.7"

Guy

Back