.30 Gibbs

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
Since I have not been here for awhile,I'll introduce you to the latest rifle. Bought this .30 Gibbs around Thanksgiving time. It is a Enfield M 1917 (Winchester stamped on receiver) with a Weaver 4x scope.
53HCOIC.jpg

gYOVihg.jpg

a0ZDKs8.jpg

zx9kDHF.jpg

.30/06 on the left and the .30 Gibbs on the right.
wny5pmz.jpg

An interesting cartridge, to be sure. It is a handsome rifle. No doubt it will be fun to work up a load.

It came with ammo and it shows some promise. I am going to glass bed it myself in the near future.

It is shooting two distinct groups and that tells me it needs to be bedded.
az3Ji7G.jpg

Looks like you did very well on your purchase and in a uber cool caliber to boot. Should run with a 300wm but in an 06 case, I like it.

I'm guessing with a 180 grain bullet it should come close to 2900 fps. With a 200 grain bullet close to 2800 fps.

A very cool rifle! Love the classics.

What kind of trigger do you have in that Enfield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filmjunkie4ever,I don't know,but it is nice and crisp. I do know it is not the original.

Way cool, I sold its clone only in 3006 AI last year. They are very neat rifles.

Yes it is. I shot a few rounds through it and to me its recoil is just like a ladies slap.

elkhunternm":2q3f8rky said:
Yes it is. I shot a few rounds through it and to me its recoil is just like a ladies slap.

You're not supposed to hold the rifle on your mouth! :shock: I note that QL data base includes the Gibbs. Should be a fascinating cartridge, for sure.

I may be mistaken but there is a fellow that reinvented the Gibbs by changing the shoulder on it and used 280 Rem cases for a base for his design. I think it's called a Sherman.

truck driver":31j7qsaf said:
I may be mistaken but there is a fellow that reinvented the Gibbs by changing the shoulder on it and used 280 Rem cases for a base for his design. I think it's called a Sherman.
That is interesting.

Looks like there's a crack behind the recoil lug also.
I would say it's time for a new stock.
What are you going to put on it, wood or synthetic?

Truck Driver,I was hoping to use a fiberglass stock. After looking online for a fiberglass stock for a Enfield 1917 it is like finding a virgin in the maternity ward. Boyds makes a wood/laminate stock for it and that is the route I'm going to use. I can get a laminate for around $200 or a wood stock in the range of $260. I am going to do the bedding myself.

elkhunternm":2dqqrttj said:
Truck Driver,I was hoping to use a fiberglass stock. After looking online for a fiberglass stock for a Enfield 1917 it is like finding a virgin in the maternity ward. Boyds makes a wood/laminate stock for it and that is the route I'm going to use. I can get a laminate for around $200 or a wood stock in the range of $260. I am going to do the bedding myself.
Get some pillars for it also since your doing the bedding your self it will be easy to do all at once.
You can them dressed up fairly nice with rose wood and checkering.
I have one I bought for my M70 7mm Rem and it is nice but they didn't round the bottom edges off just behind the trigger guard and it cuts into my trigger finger. One day I'll take a rasp to it and reshape it. I don't remember which model it was but was probably the plainsman since it looks like a classic style stock.

Attachments

• KIMG0075.jpeg
    KIMG0075.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 1,145
  • KIMG0074.jpeg
    KIMG0074.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 1,145
elkhunternm":sopxus2z said:

Bell & Carlson must have discontinued theirs. I have a B&C stock on our 1917. Don't see it on their web page anymore though. I wonder if you could call and find out if they still have a few still sitting around?

My son and I both like the way the 1917 rifle handles in that B&C stock:

Q8BT2nkl.jpg

HCAU0Spl.jpg

h3u9tD2l.jpg

Guy

Back