Still have rifle "itis" disease.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Some guns are hard for me to turn down. So far I've made smart buys, (I think).

Couple months back I bought a sporterized VZ 24 mauser not because I needed it, but because it was too cheap. It was in a 243 which I had no use for as I already have a 6mm. Wood was decent, but whoever put the barrel on didn't index it properly so the screws and dovetail for the original sights were off to the side. It was going to need a new barrel of a different caliber for me to use it.

Sold it for a handsome profit, the new owner is tickled pink with it, and I've been waiting on the next one.

This little gem was online and I guess caught people sleeping. A 93 or 95 nice custom mauser in 300 savage for $365. The wood on this is 99.9%. There is one teeny mark on the bottom just ahead of the front action screw.

Nice checkering, grind to fit recoil pad, rosewood endcap and grip cap, and custom hinged floorplate with the release arm and button recessed inside the trigger guard.

It has J.W. Claseman inscribed on the bolt release. Not sure if that's the custom gun makers name, or the original owners name.

P.S. The wood color is more like the top and last picture which was from the seller. Second picture I took and the light shows a different color.

Handsome piece, to be sure. I don't believe you were hurt with that purchase. (y)

Thanks guys. This thing was on Armslist so it wasn't an auction, just an advertised price. The FFL dealer didn't describe anything about it except Mauser 300 savage, with just the first picture I put up. The gun caught my eye and when I blew up the picture I thought I could see a release button on the inside of the trigger guard and it looked like it also had a rosewood grip cap. Called the seller the same evening and asked a couple questions and bought it the next morning.

I'm not disappointed. Started out with a nice stock and whoever done this rifle done it right with attention to detail. Would cost plenty of money to pay someone to end up with like results.

The pre-model 98 mausers were usually 7x57 or 6.5x55 so the 300 savage should be a perfect fit as it's well within the pressures those 2 cartridges were designed for.

Nice rifle, much better done than my .300 Savage on M93 Mauser. Of course mine was put together by some amateurs, but it still shoots pretty well. Does your rifle clock on close? If it does I can't recommend a conversion to cock on open enough, not that it does anything but improve the feel of the handling.

My wife says I have an obsession with rifles!
So I guess it is safe to say that I am like wise afflicted with the "rifle-itis" gene.
(Don't want to admit that it may be a disease! LOL as I don't think it is viral in nature! Perhaps the good Dr can diagnose for us!
And if admitting it is the first step in curing the problem, I don't want to do that either! LOL)

taylorce1":ryqomths said:
Nice rifle, much better done than my .300 Savage on M93 Mauser. Of course mine was put together by some amateurs, but it still shoots pretty well. Does your rifle clock on close? If it does I can't recommend a conversion to cock on open enough, not that it does anything but improve the feel of the handling.

Yes it's cock on closing. I haven't looked into it whether a conversion is something I could do myself or not? It's a real smooth action, but is different when you're used to the opposite all your life.

Guys say this action gets the benefit of a faster lock time when converted, which would actually improve accuracy if it's significant enough.

It's the nicest finished gun in my possession......like to shake the hand of the craftsman that put it together but he's probably long gone.

These are the kinds of 'deals" I like to find also...a gem no one else recognized, ha. I'd say the 300 Savage is a gem too. almost "all" of the Mod 99s I see in the used gun racks out here, are 300 Savage. At one time, it was a super popular/common round here. I'd like to know just how many mule deer/elk were killed with them too! Can you imagine what a Barnes 130TTSx (elk) and the Nosler 125BT (deer) can do in your little rifle?

Just curious...are Armslist and GunsAmerica good to go or do you have to be very careful of who you deal with?

5shot":24l3kccv said:
Just curious...are Armslist and GunsAmerica good to go or do you have to be very careful of who you deal with?

I'd always say be careful and ask questions...…...but both Armslist and Gunbroker have ratings systems that lets you know someone is a top seller which helps ease some concerns. Doesn't mean you couldn't get a bad deal off a top seller or a great deal off of someone just starting to sell.

Look at pictures carefully and ask questions, as some sellers don't always disclose everything, they expect you to see the pictures.

Most dealers will have a phone number listed....otherwise you can contact by email.

I've purchased 2 guns online in the last 6 mo's or so. Both I've been very well pleased, but I will admit the 1st one was right down the road where I could go look at it before bidding.

As always, it is buyer beware.

Looking at the seller's ratings can help with the sense of security in the deal.
Also look at the conditions attached to the posting; such as shipping, payment, additional fees for cc's, usage of an FFL, returns, etc.

Make sure you know what you want and ask the questions to ensure the item meets your realistic expectations.
If used, be prepared to expect the typical used conditions and/or faults (do not expect NIB; but be happy if you get it!)

I have bought 7 firearms off of GunBroker in the past 2 years, and have been happy with the results.
(being from north of the border I have the added considerations of exchange, import fees, an extra shipping fee and taxes on top of the price of the item. This adds an average of $350 to the price of the firearm, plus the exchange rate, but to get those hard to find items, that I cannot find in Canada, it has been worth it)

I have also bought 4 firearms off of our CanadianGunNutz site, and have sold a few as well. The experience has been good overall, to date. A friend has been burned once, and has seen ads and an instance of fraud as well (but he has been at it a lot longer than I have). So it can, and has, happened.

Pretty rifle! My first 250 was a rebarreled 93 shoved in a Ramline stock. Yours is MUCH nicer. CL

Back