Tikka Update

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
This little 6.5 Tikka has been an awesome shooter for me, but the stocks are a bit short on Length for me and with the Warnes the scope was just a touch too high for a great cheek weld.

I decided a few months back to get a McM Sako Classic EDGE for it and man, I kinda like it.. Here are a couple before and after pictures.

Tikka as it sat

unmounted McMillan

Tikka stock

Tikka in the McM

And lastly, swapped out the rings.

Warnes

For the Sportsmatch

And the whole works mounted back up.

Looking forward to shooting the little devil again..

I really like that, I bet it will be one of your go to rifles for a long time. Pretty nice weight even with the SWFA scope.

Wow, I like that too. Nice handy little rifle. What is the LOP on that stock now, Scotty?

Thanks fellas.

Went 14”. Best I can measure I’m a 14-14 1/2” LOP. I err a bit on the short size due to having a backpack or heavier clothes on when I hunt.

Looks like your Buddy nailed his thumb with a hammer or was that the only way you could get him to hold the tape?
Logging can be a rough job.

Scotty , does the new stock use the original recoil lug set up ? is it bedded in place ?

Looks good Scotty..... but that seems like an awful expensive way to shave 2.5 oz..... what’d that cost... about $200/oz? The Mickey is definitely a better stock though, and a couple of my Remingtons wear them.

I too just ordered a set of the Sportsmatch rings to run a 12x SS on the Tikka 6 Creed....it had the 1” Warnes on it.

I solved my cheekweld issues on the Tikka with a homemade PVC cheekpiece... it’s adjustable, and works like a champ. That’s one of the beauties of the factory Tikka stock.... not only is it pretty dang light, and quite rigid, but I have no problem running a couple screws into it.... I’d hate to do that to a McM/Manners.

Here’s the rifle, you can see the cheekpiece set-up.... like I said, it works like a champ.

BF8A0607-1ADA-400A-9347-15FDF5F8C35C_zpsp1hbtpdv.jpg

Songdog":4jtz8yj7 said:
Looks good Scotty..... but that seems like an awful expensive way to shave 2.5 oz..... what’d that cost... about $200/oz? The Mickey is definitely a better stock though, and a couple of my Remingtons wear them.

I too just ordered a set of the Sportsmatch rings to run a 12x SS on the Tikka 6 Creed....it had the 1” Warnes on it.

I solved my cheekweld issues on the Tikka with a homemade PVC cheekpiece... it’s adjustable, and works like a champ. That’s one of the beauties of the factory Tikka stock.... not only is it pretty dang light, and quite rigid, but I have no problem running a couple screws into it.... I’d hate to do that to a McM/Manners.

Here’s the rifle, you can see the cheekpiece set-up.... like I said, it works like a champ.

BF8A0607-1ADA-400A-9347-15FDF5F8C35C_zpsp1hbtpdv.jpg

No, thankfully I didn’t do it for the weight. I wanted the length and ergos the McM had. The Tikka plastic stocks are darned good in my book. Honestly as long as the rifle shoots as well in the McM as it did in plastic I’ll be cool with it. I like cheekpiece. Post that action up, I’ve got a couple I’d like to try it on. Might try it along with some spacers on the 22-250...

Thanks for the heads up on it. I like your set up. Looks excellent.

Interested to hear what you think of the Sportsmatch rings. Haven’t put a round thru it yet, but the lower rings are nice and the bit of weight savings doesn’t stink at all.

jimbires":2exncglr said:
Scotty , does the new stock use the original recoil lug set up ? is it bedded in place ?

The McM comes with a lug bedded in it. Going to shoot it a bit as is then probably bed the works. Hard to believe the lug works so well, but it does. Darned Finish Glocks I guess :mrgreen:

Very nice! The only Tikka I have is the one I bought from a friend. When he had it he put a Boyds laminate on it. It's pretty, shoots great, and balanced well, but man it's like carrying a telephone pole..I got the factory stock with it, and I've been thinking about swapping back to the factory stock to shed some weight.

Now I am jealous. Just placed my order for a sako classic last week for sako 85 finnlight 6.5x55. Replacing the factory stock that went sticky. I ended up with a mcswirley he told me it would only be 4 oz. I guess we will see 6 months from now.

My question is do you notice any difference in the cheek piece I think it is like an 1/8” lower than factory but to me the classic is the only way to go with the tikkas and finnlights.

I also have a tikka t3 in .270 that is quite a shooter with factory stock. I did replace the plastic trigger guard with the metal Mountain tactical one. It is really nice and would recommend it. As good as your rifle looks I may have to go mcmillan on the tikka as well. Would be really interested to hear an update if and when you bed it.

I originally bought that tikka as my backup gun but it shoots so good now I don’t know??

Since dropping the ring height along with the new longer LOP it feels darned near as nice as the Legends on my M70’s.

I will shoot it first before I bed it. Not a ton to bed on them but hear tightening up the lug can do good things.

Multiple reasons:

I like metal parts on guns more than plastic
I like the trigger guard profile better than factory
I can torque the action screws without worrying about the bottom metal flexing
If the bottom plastic breaks your magazine won’t stay in the rifle so I wanted something more durable.
Theoretically more rigid when torqued for better accuracy which I think would matter more on a McMillan than factory.
Plus I like it
I will probably replace the bolt catch and shroud at some point but I thought they were lower priority.

Those are great ideas. Never thought about replacing that stuff.

I like the metal bolt shrouds over the plastic ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s how mine turned out after the Sportsmatch rings and SWFA 12x swap.... not apples to apples with Scottie’s Tikka, but close. Mine wears a 20” Benchmark barrel, in Remington Mag Sporter contour, with a bit of shank... so it’s got a bit heavier pipe that either the T3L or the SL. It’s chambered in 6mm Creedmoor and I’m running the 108 ELDM at 3030fps (via 42.7 grains H4350)

C9FA0466-0C04-44CD-A3D9-EBBC9EC633AA_zpspchns1zn.jpg

The suppressor and adapter ad another 16oz....

I’m super impressed with the Sportsmatch rings. They’re an excellent compromise between weight and durability. The recoil post is an awesome addition, and the ability to easily remove the scope for travel and/or cleaning is a boon too.

Shot one at 25 yards.... milled it out and adjusted it. Shot 3 rounds at 100 that went .260”.... then spun 2.3 Mils in and sent 3 rounds at the coyote silhouette 510 yards away... they were all on the money, and went 2.5”. I’ve been a dyed-in-wool .243 guy for 25 years.... but this 6 Creed is aweful impressive.

7D0A706D-05CE-4B52-9DA2-9CD698C7D07F_zpsp5rjpv0a.jpg

Back