300 PRC

A

Anonymous

I have an opportunity to get a "custom" rifle built with a small group of friends with a group buy on all the components to save us a few shekels.

Defiant Deviant UL action, Proof barrel, Iota stock, etc...all good components for a nice, light hunting rifle build that'll reach out farther than makes sense.

My local hook and bullet guy is really liking the 300PRC and from the information I can find- there doesn't seem to be any real detriment. A 212 ELD-X at 2850fp should suffice for any and all hunting I might do and factory ammo and components are around in sufficient quantity.

Has anyone worked with one of these or have access to any load data? Available load data I've found seems to be somewhere between an estimate and a guess.

I would think powders like H1000 and Retumbo should fit the case capacity with the heavier bullets and I'm not sure the lighter bullets are really all that useful in this cartridge but before I drop the (considerable) sum on building a rig I'd like to see some more data or hear from other users.

Thoughts?

The latest Shooting Times magazine has an article on the 300 PRC by Joseph Von Benedikt.
He used Re-26, Retumbo and H-1000 powders with Barnes 200 gr LRX, Federal 200 gr Edge TLR, Sierra 210 gr SMK, and Hdy 212 gr ELD-X and 225 gr ELD-M bullets respectively, in Hdy cases with WLRM primers.
Rifle used in testing was a Gunwerks rifle with 24" barrel.
There is a chart of measured performance and another of comparison to other 30 cal magnum cartridges.

Definitely appears that if you are looking for the best performing 300 with heavy bullets for long range performance, the 300 PRC will be a winner.

Hope you have fun with your build and enjoy your new rifle and cartridge!

I am personally looking at the 6.5 PRC, as I think it will bring another fun 6.5 to my battery, with improved performance over my Swede and Creedmoor. (Have always been a 6.5 fan and not a real fan of the 30 cals, but that is just me! LOL The 30's are effective, proven performers, but just haven't tickled my fancy. Will always like the 30-30 as it was the first rifle I harvested big game with. And I like my 300 WSM; it is very accurate and has taken a good number of game, and is my first custom lh rifle). The 264Win Mag just never grabbed my attention.

Yes, very similar to the 6.5x284 Norma, which I have had, but a rebarreled Browning X-Bolt All Weather (same as I built my Creedmoor on) in a short mag will make a nice rifle for hunting. Or I couldrebarrel my 300 WSM, butt I have a large supply of ammo and handloads for it. I just wasn't able to get excited with the Savage I previously had in the 6.5x284. Shot well, but was just uglier than sin in that synthetic stock!

I have the reamers for a 6.5PRC and a 300PRC. If I ever get time I'll chamber one up. I wouldn't expect miracles from the 300PRC. Case capacity is between a 300wm and 30 Nosler. About 2.5gr less capacity then a 30 Nosler. Hopefully it will get to the 3040ish node in a 26" barrel that the 30 Nosler does with H-1000 and 215's.

IdahoCTD":j1kajh2m said:
I have the reamers for a 6.5PRC and a 300PRC. If I ever get time I'll chamber one up. I wouldn't expect miracles from the 300PRC. Case capacity is between a 300wm and 30 Nosler. About 2.5gr less capacity then a 30 Nosler. Hopefully it will get to the 3040ish node in a 26" barrel that the 30 Nosler does with H-1000 and 215's.

After messing around with a bunch of 300 Wins, Weatherby’s and now a RUM, it seems like the PRC nails it in case size and length to get almost all you can hope for in a 3.7 length magazine. I know they are spaced for a 3.8 length but it’d look to do well on a 3.7 magazine as well, especially if it was throated according to that length.

I dig the RUM but a 3.6 feels worthless, 3.7 is okay but a 3.8 seems to be a bunch better. Can only figure a PRC would be better yet.

It’ll be interesting to see who picks up the cartridge.

Back