AR-308 338 Fed

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Been on the back burner for a while, but I finally put the thing together. AR 10 in 338 Federal. Hopefully get to shoot it tomorrow..Using dummy rounds it passed all the function tests, so I'll take it for break in and live fire test, and hopefully I'll settle on what scope I want to use permanently..Oinkers beware!
Color pattern is standard black and Magpul Stealth Grey.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 614
Sweet. That should be a ton of fun. I certainly enjoy the cartridge.

As we cannot use ARs except at an approved gun club, I just have not gotten excited about them. Guess I truly am a hunter first!
If I was to have one, it would definitely be chambered in the 338 Federal!

Hope that it shoots well for you and thatyou have a lot of fun hunting with it!

Blkram":3g6hxpf1 said:
As we cannot use ARs except at an approved gun club, I just have not gotten excited about them. Guess I truly am a hunter first!
If I was to have one, it would definitely be chambered in the 338 Federal!

Hope that it shoots well for you and thatyou have a lot of fun hunting with it!

They never really did anything for me either. I guess I was 48 before I finally got one, and that was when it looked like Hillary was going to win the white house, so I figured better get it now just in case. I can't see them ever replacing my bolt guns as my favorite, but they're fun to mess around with and I was surprised by just how accurate they can be.

Take a look at the Burris XTRII 1.5-8, I’ve been very impressed with it. The 185 Barnes are a great bullet in that 338 federal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2bwvub2n said:
Take a look at the Burris XTRII 1.5-8, I’ve been very impressed with it. The 185 Barnes are a great bullet in that 338 federal

I looked hard at that one, but ended up ordering a Viper PST Gen II, 1-6x24.

Got to take it out today...I fired 8 or 10 to function test using 185 grain Federal Fusion MSR ammo and it runs great! I couldn't get to the 100 yard bench, so I had to shoot for groups at 75 yards. Right now it has a heavy MIL spec trigger with about a mile of take-up, I have an ALG Defense ACT trigger on the way, it appears it wants to be a shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 551
hunter24605":3idzijao said:
Got to take it out today...I fired 8 or 10 to function test using 185 grain Federal Fusion MSR ammo and it runs great! I couldn't get to the 100 yard bench, so I had to shoot for groups at 75 yards. Right now it has a heavy MIL spec trigger with about a mile of take-up, I have an ALG Defense ACT trigger on the way, it appears it wants to be a shooter.

I’d say. Of the seven AR,s I have I purchased one complete and built the other 6. Everyone one of the rifles I have built have ALG ACT triggers. It was my first choice in my first build and it worked so well it’s in all of them crisp clean trigger release. If it ain’t broke do not fix it. If my AR is not shooting sub MOA it is not because of the trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like you those kind of guns aren't really my thing but that's pretty cool and shoots good also!

Do you plan to load for it or keep shooting factory? I have an original LR338 from DPMS, absolutely love the rifle, just don't take it out often enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thatguySHM":2bssqzmh said:
Do you plan to load for it or keep shooting factory? I have an original LR338 from DPMS, absolutely love the rifle, just don't take it out often enough.

I'm going to load for it, just waiting on the rest of the supplies to arrive. Although, if I couldn't load for it, I'd be more than happy with that Federal factory load.

I found you really need to keep the pressures up to lock the bolt back on the big AR. If you have any questions on it you can always send me a message. I've loaded a lot of different combos in bolt action and AR 338 Federal.

I be wary of running the pressures too high in the ar, you quickly run into extraction issues with ARs and high pressures. If your running borderline with your AR it can be tuned with adjustable gas blocks and buffer weights.

Yes after reading depending on loads and bullet selection AR10’s can be radically over gassed. When shooting heavy bullets under higher pressures the brass was being slammed so hard against the deflector that the brass was being badly damaged. So now all my AR10’s have Odin works adjustable gas blocks.

Back