Cabin Fever Challenge

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
A fellow in my town has a pretty popular Youtube channel and is on a few other platforms as well. He has a Facebook page called the Cabin Fever Challenge where you fire 5 rounds standing, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds prone and 5 rounds sitting as fast as you can at an 8" target at 100 meters. There are 4 different categories of rifles to choose from as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbKq1wy ... hIyqWchkek

https://www.facebook.com/cabinfeverchal ... ite_accept

I'm going to try this year for the first time and maybe some of you will try as well. Should be fun.

Sounds like fun!
And great practice!
Have not watched the vids yet...what are the rifle categoriesÉ

Is there a time limit to get in each position? Oh and do they gave crane ready to get you back up once you get down in position? :shock: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Blkram":f7za8bn4 said:
Sounds like fun!
And great practice!
Have not watched the vids yet...what are the rifle categoriesÉ

"CLASSES
Class 1 Vintage (as-issued rifles only or similar variants): VZ-58, M305, M1A, AG42, VZ-52/57, SKS / M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, SAFN, AK47 (stock / rack grade rifles)

Class 2 Modern (unlimited): BCL-102 / Stag-10 / WK180 / AR15 / TAVOR / Swiss Arms / XCR / FAMAE 542 / T97 / SL8 / TRICKED OUT AK47 / VZ58 / SKS / etc...

Class 3 Manually Operated Repeating (unlimited): Bolt / Lever / Pump

Class 4: Single Shots (unlimited) Break Actions / Falling Blocks

CLARIFICATION
a. VINTAGE: Rifles as issued to the infantry soldier - No significant modifications are permitted.

b. MODDED or TRICKED OUT Vintage rifles may have (but not limited to): Any red dot / optical sights, extended mag release, modified stocks, magwell modifications, etc... There is a grey area around tricked out Vintage platforms but essentially any Vintage semi-auto that has been significantly modified beyond what a would have been used by the infantry soldier is modified and 'tricked-out'."

I'm going to do this. Looks like a good friendly competition and test of field marksmanship skills. Wish my M99 had a stripper clip guide, that would be fun. Will have to shoot the K-31 for manual unlimited.

Glad to hear there is some interest, should be a lot of fun.

I only have modern sporting rifles and all but one have 4 round magazines which makes 5 rounds in each a bit more difficult. My Sako 270 Win is 5 rounds but I'm not sure if I want to run 20 rounds through as fast as possible in it. I am thinking of developing a load using Trail Boss which should keep the barrel from heating up too much.

Or I need to get a new rifle :lol:

gerry":3l0zuo5s said:
Glad to hear there is some interest, should be a lot of fun.

I only have modern sporting rifles and all but one have 4 round magazines which makes 5 rounds in each a bit more difficult. My Sako 270 Win is 5 rounds but I'm not sure if I want to run 20 rounds through as fast as possible in it. I am thinking of developing a load using Trail Boss which should keep the barrel from heating up too much.

Or I need to get a new rifle :lol:

Sounds like a good excuse to get an M1 carbine and a Swiss K-31

Lever gun in a pistol cartridge may be the hot ticket, fast follow up shots and quick reload.

Slimfinn":cn9gffm2 said:
Lever gun in a pistol cartridge may be the hot ticket, fast follow up shots and quick reload.

Maybe. Is there a speedy method of reloading tube magazines? Not too familiar with the cowboy guns. I'd think prone might slow you down throwing a lever. I know I can cycle and charge a straight pull Swiss pretty darn fast though. Even a straight bolt mauser with practice can be fired accurately (IMHO) as fast as a lever. An 8" target at 100m does require a rather deliberate aim, especially in offhand. Still need to do the math and see how much time penalty hurts vs hits. The low recoil of the pistol rounds would be a plus, I'd think an oldie in .22hornet would really be the cats meow. Have to see if I can figure this YouTube thing out, seems I have to post a video of the shoot.

Back