Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP .30-06

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I aquired a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in .30-06 over the weekend.
It has been used, and slightly abused. I might actually turn it into a project rifle.
Re-barrel it. I'm thinking of something like re-barreling it to say .270 Weatherby Mag, because it's a long action.
What would you gents, and ladies, suggest?
This should be interesting.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

For 240 bucks you could buy the ER Shaw kit from midway and have another 35 Whelen to play with.

gerry":2am5ekz4 said:
With the interchangeable bolt head a 270 Weatherby could work well. I would use a fast twist preferably a 1 in 8 twist and you would have an amazing long range rifle with mild recoil.

Maybe a better magazine as well?

https://www.darkeaglecustom.com/magazines.php
You know, I hadn't thought about changing out the bolt head, before I actually thought about it. It's a great relief to know that's all I would have to do is change out the bolt face, and get a new barrel.
That is a great idea about getting a faster twist rate to make it an excellent long range rig.

26NosFan":1f3q0y6e said:
For 240 bucks you could buy the ER Shaw kit from midway and have another 35 Whelen to play with.
You know, that's another viable option as well. I've never had a 35 Whelen.

In theory changing the bolt head and a probably new magazine should work but a gunsmith would be able to confirm that. I thought awfully hard about a fast twist 270 Wby but went with a 270 Win instead in the end. Looking hard at a 270 WSM myself for a mountain gun but still think the 270 Wby is a fantastic round and would be happy to own one.

26NosFan":28aa3lpd said:

I ended up with 2 savages both 30-06 and this is exactly what I'm planning to do with one of them.

hunter24605":1xpnt86p said:
26NosFan":1xpnt86p said:

I ended up with 2 savages both 30-06 and this is exactly what I'm planning to do with one of them.
That's awesome. Please let me know how it goes.

I thought, maybe I should re-barrel to 6.5-06?
Any one have experience with a 6.5-06?

HAWKEYESATX":37cyioxd said:

One that I’ve been looking into which is just a hair different than the 6.5-06 is the 6.5-280 AI. A few more grains of powder, and near .264 Win Mag performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":3eg06mnb said:
HAWKEYESATX":3eg06mnb said:

One that I’ve been looking into which is just a hair different than the 6.5-06 is the 6.5-280 AI. A few more grains of powder, and near .264 Win Mag performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's sweet!
How would that affect the magazine? I'm trying to use the original mag, if at all possible.
If I have to get a new mag, then I will just re-barrel it to a .270 WBY Mag, with a 1-8 twist, and a new mag.

[ne that I’ve been looking into which is just a hair different than the 6.5-06 is the 6.5-280 AI. A few more grains of powder, and near .264 Win Mag performance!

I've thought of that exact round a few times, then I learned about the 6.5 Sherman which is the same case but Improved even more. Less taper and the shoulder is even further forward. It does require a new set of expensive dies ( and even a Hydraulic forming die is worth it) but the dies for the 6.5/280AI are not cheap either! I still think its great fun if a man likes to mess around at the loading bench/rifle range with some hunting thrown in.

Back