Little thumper should I or shouldn’t I

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
An old friend found its way back into my gunsafe. The Winchester 70 25 Wssm stainless featherweight. I had traded it for a Ruger compact magnum 338 RCM last year. I saw the guy I had traded to was selling off a bunch of guns and got this one back.

5ca548a35dca54f6ae802dc08694cc4f.jpg

I had originally traded it off as it doesn’t see much use. I had intended it for my daughter but she has shown no interest in hunting.

A local Smith has been converting these WSSM actions to 500 auto max. Essentially a 500 S&W with a slightly debated rim. It uses 500 S&W dies, shell holders, and load data.

If coupled with a lightish, 16” barrel I think it will make a pretty handy little thumper. Similar performance as a stout loaded 45/70 with ample components. When used with a factory crimp die they are even interchangeable with 500 S&W in the revolver.

The down side is there really isn’t a gap in my arsenal that this could fill. Between the 458 Lott and 450 bushmaster there really isn’t anything it can do that one of these doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'd leave it a 25 WSSM - but you know I'm sorta silly 'bout 25 cal rifles.

Guy

Nice looking little rifle. I can't say anything about the 500, but I "did" see a guy worry a nice bull elk to death with a 25 WSSM. He was shooting a 117 round nose bullet. It sure seemed way too light " to me", but it was none of my business. Now get this; the guy paid about $5000 for the bull as it was on an exotic game ranch over in Colorado. The elk was really big in the body too. He got it done, but just barely, ha. He never said why he chose a round nose 117, I figured he would have used a Barnes or Partition anyhow. Back in the early 90's, I knew two brothers who used their .243 wins with 100gr Barnes X who killed elk like crazy out here! :)

Back