Christienson Arms Mesa , any good?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I saw my first Mesa's today at Sports warehouse. I like the slim style, held a .308 and a 28 Nosler. I just wonder if they are like the Kimber 8400s...a gamble if they will shoot well or not? $1200 is pretty steep, especially if it isn't a 'sure thing shooter".

The ones I've messed with have been lights out shooters.

I shot a 7-08 Mesa last summer that was nothing short of amazing. Literally a one hole rifle.

I own the Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .300WM. To say it shoots well is putting it mildly. The cost is a bit higher than your rifle but from what I have read "all" their rifles shoot great. Their first concern is for an accurate rifle no matter the cost.

I would like to hold a Mesa in 300WM and one in 6.5 PRC. The 28 Nosler felt "almost" a tad barrel heavy. Of course, they had no scopes on them, ha. I really like the slim, open wrist.

Does CA sell just the Mesa stock by itself? I can't tell from their website if they do or not? I just like that slim stock, I'd put it on my Whelen pronto!

They look very nice and even come in a left hand version for those of us who are left eye dominant :) They seem to be very highly thought of and a great buy.

Was at an SCI conference on Friday and Saturday, there was. Christianson dealer there. First time I got to shoulder one.

Felt like a well made firearm. Smooth action, etc. I consider it out of my price range, but truthfully, if I can swing a Caesar Guerini, I could swing a CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a MatchGrade Arms custom made up in .340W one time. It weighed about 5.5# before scoped. It had one of those "holes all around" brakes. "Loud" is an understatement, and, it kicked the guts out of two scopes. A Leupold 2.5x8 and then a Zeiss 3x9. Seems the braking effect in recoil "mimicked" an air rifle piston. No Bueno on a CF scope! At least, I never tried another. I had it rebarreled to a 338WM, Magnaported and only shot the 185xlc ( ala 300WM physics) It was hard to shoot well in the field. I gave it away to a friend who loves it, ha.

preacher":1nrm5x9d said:
I had a MatchGrade Arms custom made up in .340W one time. It weighed about 5.5# before scoped. It had one of those "holes all around" brakes. "Loud" is an understatement, and, it kicked the guts out of two scopes. A Leupold 2.5x8 and then a Zeiss 3x9. Seems the braking effect in recoil "mimicked" an air rifle piston. No Bueno on a CF scope! At least, I never tried another. I had it rebarreled to a 338WM, Magnaported and only shot the 185xlc ( ala 300WM physics) It was hard to shoot well in the field. I gave it away to a friend who loves it, ha.

The thought of touching that off makes me shudder! I don’t even want a .308 that light. Had to have been a real peach to carry though.

Been my experience that a brake doesn’t do much unless the cartridge is what would commonly be referred to as over-bore. And yes,those radials will render the shooter deef in no time. I have a couple of them. Range use with muffs and plugs.

To be very honest even though I would like to have another MRC X3 in 6.5 PRC as a little brother to my 26N X2 the mesa is really catching my eye. It can be had for less than $1200 whereas the MRCs are now $1600. The mesa also has more standard features that are extra charge on the MRC. Weighs less, costs less, more features standard, same calibers available, sub MOA guarantee, what's not to like.

If I wanted to go that light again, I think the Mesa would be my choice. I too like the fact that so many features are standard. I remember sending my Mod 700 BDL SS .300WM and a $1000 to MG Arms to make that custom. I thought "might as well make a great lwt elk rifle", then had a chance to go back to South Africa and Namibia ( '98) so used the then Barnes 210xbt at 3200fps. It was a real killer ( shot an Impala, zebra, Blesbuk and a big Gemsbuk before the Zeiss crapped out.) and flat shooting. I do far better with sporter weight rifles now, ha. In fact, I had given my hunting buddy a braked (three holes/perpendicular type) Mod 700 Classic in 300WM that I had loaded with Barnes 180xbts. I finished the trip with it. Another great cartridge, btw.

preacher":212yh6ij said:
I saw my first Mesa's today at Sports warehouse. I like the slim style, held a .308 and a 28 Nosler. I just wonder if they are like the Kimber 8400s...a gamble if they will shoot well or not? $1200 is pretty steep, especially if it isn't a 'sure thing shooter".

'sure thing shooter' been selling them like crazy!

I’ve got a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 RUM. Pretty decent rifle, feeding hasn’t been awesome but other than that it’s a good shooting rifle.

I sent it off to PT&G for the Stealth BM in order to take the 3.8” AICS mags.

Overall the rifle is pretty decent and light.

Beautiful rifle! I have a friend who has an older CA lwt with carbon barrel in .300 WSM and he has always had feeding issues with it. I guess its just that short case/sharp shoulder/feed ramp type of issue.

Do you know if CA is milling that divot in the magazine follower like you see on the Winchester and Browning chambered in WSM's? That solved their feeding issues.

gerry":1sv32e7m said:
They look very nice and even come in a left hand version for those of us who are left eye dominant :) They seem to be very highly thought of and a great buy.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that they are not making the PRC's in left hand; even though on their website they show that they offer their rifles in left hand, and the PRC's are listed as available chamberings.

I didn't check the magazine last night, but my problem with the feeding was if you fed the cartridge slowly it would be released from the magazine too soon in my opinion which would then let the cartridge bounce up past the bolt and then back down in front of the bolt. It didn't take much to stick a cartridge if you were feeding it with some gusto. With the AICS magazine, it should be held longer by the mag, and be further into the chamber before the mag lets go of cartridge. The 300 RUM is a tough nut being so big in all dimensions. Plus, I know it doesn't absolutely require a long magazine to work, the factory magazine would only allow 3.675. Wasn't real conducive to the longer .308 bullets that most fellas wanna shoot out of the RUM.

Back