Trying a New Gunsmith, .270 Project

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Well, I just sent my Model 700 Classic off to a new gunsmith in Wisconsin. A fellow named Lee Christianson, "Redneck" on 24 hr Campfire. I'm just having my original stock pillar bedded, barrel floated, Trigger Tech Primary trigger added, a Tubbs Speed Lock and a Decelerator pad put on. I like to lean my rifle up 50% of the time and a good pad helps keep it from skidding/scooting off. Plus, one of these days, my grandson (who is now 15) is going to shoot it. Since his liberal Mom/dad have refused to let him shoot anything ( or even go with me when I shoot, but I can take him fishing) one day he "will" turn 18! ha Then I'll do what I want, if he wants too. I won't try to push hunting on him, I just want him to know how to shoot, "the same way I taught his mama as a girl and later her own husband!" Good Lord...her "twin" is more conservative, and AF Vet of 12 yrs who married a combat proven Marine (still a Msgt in the Reserves). They have one daughter, 10. Her dad will teach her.

Anyhow, I look forward to the new to me gunsmith's work. My local friend is pretty good, but new to smithing and still pretty slow as a result. I'll have him put my 35 WAI project together ( my old barrel & CDL stock with a donor action) wish me luck!

Lee tuned the triggers on my newer CRF Model 70s. He did a very nice job. I think you will be very happy with your decision.
Duane

Very nice! Post some photos when you get it back, I would love to see it. What is his turn around time?

He said about a week! I'm out of town part of February, so told him to time the return shipping with my return.

Lee was very helpful when I was looking for parts for my M70 build. He took the time to respond to my questions and looked for a follower for me. Very professional service. If he conducts his craftsmanship in the same manner I have no doubt your project will turn out well. And, that is great turn around time.

Preacher, I am looking forward to the photos once you get that Remington back as I have a 270 CDL that I have not shot for about 5 years now and I will soon be handing down to one of my grandsons :wink:.
I have been toying with the idea of having it bedded and powder coated for him :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Preacher I hope it turns out just the way you want! I think you are doing some great things to the rifle and you will notice the improvement.

Dan I think you would be pleased with the idea you are toying with also. I would suggest having it pillar and glass bedded. Might have the trigger replaced or have your gunsmith work his magic on it as that it always nice to have a crisp trigger in the 2 1/2 - 3 pound range. As far as powder coating, one such coating I can recommend after having my 280 AI done with it is called John Norrel Arms moly resin. It is great stuff and my gunsmith told me it is a lot simpler and easier to apply than Cerakote and some of the other types of this product. You can get it in a variety of shades and colors also. It has been wearing nicely on my 280 AI.

https://molyresin.com/

David

Thanks guys...Molyresin looks good Pard. I have had Brownells "Alumahyde" put on a rifle awhile back and it too is good stuff. I like Pillar bedding as I can drop the rifle out of the stock any time and replace (using the same torque) w/o losing zero. Also, if the wood stock is going to warp ( God forbid!) it can warp a great deal w/o affecting the rifle zero. For what its worth...I never had one warp after being sealed well.

AFG270":15r0kwzq said:
Very nice! Post some photos when you get it back, I would love to see it. What is his turn around time?

Current picture:

Attachments

• Classic 270.jpg
    Classic 270.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 923
Thanks pard. It was listed on Gunbroker under "Model 700", no BDL, classic, nothing like that. I saw the pictures and knew it was a "Classic" model! I got it for about 2/3 of what other nice Classics are going for! when I got it home, during inspection I noticed the guard screws were sorta loose. when I put it back together properly, the bolt was froze. That's right, the front screw was "too long". I filed it down and bingo, I was in business. that's probably why someone sold it to the shop owner...had to loosen the screws to work then bolt then wouldn't shoot well. Their frustration became my Treasure...it doesn't always work that way for me! ha The two previous rifles I just sold are Testament to that..an older Mod 77 338WM and an 80's model 70 fwt in 7x57. Both shot "patterns". Bummer as they were very nice to look at and hold.

I dated another girl when I was courting my current wife. The Other was taller, very nice to look at too and to hold, of course, but the One I married (45yrs ago) was just "that much more Nicer to look at and for sure, Nicer to Hold. ha Happy Valentines Day!

Just got news that my rifle is done and will be shipped to me tomorrow! Man, that's a fast turnaround! I "loathe" waiting a month or even more! ha

preacher":1qixtleu said:
Just got news that my rifle is done and will be shipped to me tomorrow! Man, that's a fast turnaround! I "loathe" waiting a month or even more! ha

I’m right there with ya.

Rifle got here safe and sound! I replaced my scope, now just have to get opportunity to go shoot it. It looks the same as the above picture, but the trigger pull was crisp, the barrel was free floated, not 'soaring" in a big gapped out channel. the Decelrator pad is one of the thin ones, looks real nice. I will report back later, of course. :)

Looks nice Jim. I’d almost gnaw on my hat if it didn’t shoot. I hear God pays special attention to 270’s :lol:

I’d give it a shot with some plain old Hornady 130’s and H4831. Chances are you may have a shooter right outta the gate.

Looking forward to seeing that final addition :wink:, I have been along time fan of the 270win and shot it exclusively for over 30 years and only used one weight of bullet and that was the 130gr. :shock:. I have been blessed to harvest every species of big game here in Saskatchewan except the Caribou and the only reason I have harvested one is I am not allowed to hunt them.
The 130gr Partition and now the AccuBond over top of IMR4350 or everyones favourite IMR4831 has been time proven.
Preacher, Sir Jack is looking down and pleased :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Ha! Thanks guys. I have some "accuracy" loads to try it out with before I really wring it out. I got some Hornady 130sp coming. I also picked up some 110TTSX and traded for a new box of 130TTSX. My Nosler are 130/150 and 160 partitions. I may never shoot an elk with it, but I like to have what I call an 'elk capable" load in my main deer rifle. However, when I was looking for another Mod 700 classic, I would have taken any LA caliber, from 25-06 to 35 Whelen again. I was "kind looking for a donor" to rebuild my 35 Whelen AI. But a .270 came along...again, ha. I've owned several, just never "kept one" longer than my old Belgium BAR .270. Getting jazzed!

Back