New rifle build

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
I'm starting to plan this year's build and think I want to go wild. Wildcat that is. Not anything overly radical but niche to say the least.

I love the 6.8 SPC round and would like something similar to it but with a bit more punch. After talking with another member, I think I've decided to build a lightweight Model 7 in 277 Creedmore. It should be around 40 gr capacity to sling 100-130gr bullets. I think with a smile neck up it would pair with the smaller action perfectly. Brass could be made simply by running a mandrel through relatively inexpensive 6.5 brass and skim turned to eliminate doughnuts from forming.

I'm thinking a 110 vmax could hit 3000 fps in a 22" barrel for coyotes, and between the 100gr AccuBond, 115 Etip, 120 SST and 130gr AccuBond/ballistic tip I could get a young hunter into a deer.

Specs would be as follows :
PTG blueprinted action
Wilson #4 barrel finished at 22"
McMillan Hunter stock
Trigger to be determined
Hinged floor plate

I'd probably go with a 2x10ish optic. I would want to order the reamer myself I think, so I can bring everything to the Smith when I have all the pieces together.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You could just go .270 Redding or .270IHMSA (.300 SavX,277), existing dies and reamers are out there. This would give you a tad more horsepower yet, and have the right geometry for that M7.

Polaris":n3k9u6jh said:
You could just go .270 Redding or .270IHMSA (.300 SavX,277), existing dies and reamers are out there. This would give you a tad more horsepower yet, and have the right geometry for that M7.

How cool would that be on a Model 99 Savage! Kinda sounds like a fun one. I’d bet it’d run 130’s at a good clip.

I had a buddy who built a 277/308 AI. Was a neat little round. I think your choice of the Creedmoor parent is a solid choice. If you just want something different I’d say go for it.

It certainly sounds like a fun little rifle. It should do well in a AICS magazine too if you choose to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris":jl71jwvi said:
I'll definitely look into these. I'm a bit concerned about brass availability for the 300 Savage, which was what had me pointing towards the 6.5 Creed. The Redding has my eye, basically an improved 270-08 with a slightly moved back shoulder.

I have one piece of brass from a range find, with a 115 gold dot OAL would be around 2.550", so I don't have to worry about mag length with the smaller bullets.

Before the 260 Rem came out I was quite interested in one of the short 277 wildcats like the 270-308 or 270 Redding. Once the 260 was announced I went with it but think those small 270 cal wildcats would be outstanding still especially using the numerous 130 gr bullets out there these days. Because of the 6.8 SPC it has an advantage over the similar sized 6.5's when it comes to bullets under 100 gr. On the other end a 160 gr Partition at around 2600 fps or so would be a real hammer for big animals.

gbflyer":1g5687rh said:
Do you have any experience with Kiff’s trued 700 action or other products?
I don't have any experience with his actions, but I have ordered other items from him before. Why do you ask?

SJB358":1pdmrl4x said:
How cool would that be on a Model 99 Savage! Kinda sounds like a fun one. I’d bet it’d run 130’s at a good clip.

Interestingly enough, I just got the ball rolling on something similar for a 99, and ordered a 22" carbon fiber barrel (trying to keep the weight low to retain 99 handling, while stiffen things up for a little better accuracy). 1/8 twist and 6 mm bore. Current plan is to chamber it for 6mm Creedmoor and use it for varmints, coyotes, wolves, and deer.

thatguySHM":350c2bkx said:
gbflyer":350c2bkx said:
I don't have any experience with his actions, but I have ordered other items from him before. Why do you ask?

I don’t have any experience with their action work either. With the piloted tap/face cutting operation they use I sure don’t see how you could go wrong though. I have a Remington BDL steel bottom metal that’s good and Savage DBM which I never used. I’ve not had good luck with his chamber reamers. I do have a couple of other machine tools which are good.

Northland Shooters Supply also sells trued actions. I’ve heard all good about their products.

gbflyer":2ss5odus said:
thatguySHM":2ss5odus said:
gbflyer":2ss5odus said:

I don’t have any experience with their action work either. With the piloted tap/face cutting operation they use I sure don’t see how you could go wrong though. I have a Remington BDL steel bottom metal that’s good and Savage DBM which I never used. I’ve not had good luck with his chamber reamers. I do have a couple of other machine tools which are good.

Northland Shooters Supply also sells trued actions. I’ve heard all good about their products.
I was excited for a minute about a stainless action trued up for just a bit more than the model 7 from PTG until I read how how the NSS actions are trued. They just true the action face and lap the lugs, which any good gunsmith would do while building a rifle. In my opinion, they are geared towards those wanting to use the barrel nut system that can't lap their own lugs. The PTG chases the threads, squares the lugs, trues the raceway, squares the boltface while in the receiver and comes with a fluted bolt. I think for what you get the PTG is the way to go.

I looked into the 270-08 and 270 Redding, but I'm not overly sold on them. The 270 Redding looks good on paper, but dies are costly and there's only a slight gain over the the 270-08. I looked at case capacity of the 6.5 Creedmore, stated at 52.5gr H2O, vs the 260 Rem, stated at 53.5gr, so I don't see much of an increase with a straight 270-08 vs 270 Creedmoor.

I ordered a mandrel and a .302 bushing so I can check against bullets I have on hand, and am going order 6.5 Starline brass to check capacities on several cases. I should just go with a straight 6.5, but I don't have any other 6.5s, where I have several .277 rifles on hand. Only thing making me think standard is a have an X-Caliber 6.5 7 twist blank sitting in the safe.

I think I need to just order the action and stock and think on it a bit more.

What is that old saying? So many Calibers and to little time :mrgreen:!!
I am sure what ever you decide on it will do the job (y).
I look forward to your build with photos :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

6.5 Creed on the left set to 2.750" and a 243 on the right at 2.800". 130gr AccuBond both necked up with a KM mandrel. I think any case capacity I gain with the larger case is negated by the bullet in the powder column.
011530e2e96be7c0a8623d6969e6f336.jpg

If you do the Remington you can get it milled for a 3” Wyatt’s Outdoor mag box. Might get you where you want to be in OAL.

Luckily, my father is a lifetime machinist. I had him turn a stagger feed Savage long action into a center feed for feeding from AICS style magazines.

I'm not sure I would need longer than 2.8" though. What applications would you think the 3.0" would benefit?

thatguySHM":1saahmk1 said:
Luckily, my father is a lifetime machinist. I had him turn a stagger feed Savage long action into a center feed for feeding from AICS style magazines.

I'm not sure I would need longer than 2.8" though. What applications would you think the 3.0" would benefit?

Get your bullet out of the case another .200 and still fit in the mag. More room for powder.

I feel that it might be a bit much. I think I want to keep the bullet weight at 130gr or less, if I wanted more horsepower I'd build up a WSM or the like. That being said, the photo doesn't make it look it but that puts the beginning of the bearing surface right at the neck and shoulder junction. I don't have any 130 ballistic tips on hand, but I'm assuming it will be darned close to. If I build it for a 130gr class bullet stuck way out , there won't be much bearing surface left in the neck for a 110 Vmax or 115 Gold Dot or a rather large jump, which in my experience, Vmax bullets aren't a fan of.

And when I change it up eventually, I can always look at an extended box then.

Back