7mm mag or .308 for elk??

Green08

Beginner
Feb 7, 2019
So I'm normally a bird guy so the whole rifle selection is pretty new to me? I grew up with a .270 and have taken a few big game animals with it including 2 elk (under 150 yards). I'm wanting a bigger rifle just in case the wife or I ever drew one of those limited elk tags so I know I've got the gun to handle anything out to 400 yards. Not interested in the long range stuff, I usually keep it under 300 but just in case the only opportunity you had was something beyond that I would like to know I've got the gun to handle it. Don't want anything bigger then a 7mm so lets please the the big 300's out of it. I've looked at a lot of recoil tables and it honestly doesn't look like the 7mm mag kicks a whole lot more then a .308. On the chuckhawks table it looks like in comparable grains theres only 3-4lb difference. Am I missing something or are some people exaggerating the kick on the 7mm a little? If anyone has any pros and cons why one would be better then the other please comment. I'm also looking at using the e-tip line and it looks like the 7mm mag 150gr beats the .308 168gr hands down (about 150lbs more of force at 300 yards)...just want to make sure I've researched everything before I make a purchase like this I don't want to miss something. Thanks for the help guys!

I don't have a 308 so I can't offer up any insightful comparison but the 7mm Rem Mag is hard to beat for a western hunt. Moderate recoil and plenty of uummph for elk. The only advantage I could see with a 308 is that it will likely be a lighter more compact rifle. Which leads me to the obvious question, if you've hunted and been successful with a 270 Win, why do you want a 7mm or 308. Its as good as both the others. You get the uummph of the 7mm in the lighter weight of the 308.

Like Bruce I don't own a 308 Win but do own a 7mm Rem and if I had to make a choice for one or the other for Elk it would be the 7mm Rem and my bullet of choice would be a 160gr PT though the 160gr AB would also get the job done.
I carried a 7mm Rem as a back up to my 338 Win and had both sighted in 3" high at 100yds and could consistently hit a 12" steel plate off my pack at 400yds with no sight adjustment.

Keep the 270 win you have everything need brass etc. Build a 270 win with a 26” 1-8 twist barrel. I have a McGowen Precision on a Rem 700 receiver. I use the Berger 170 gr EOL Elite Hunter. With Rl 26 I get just over 2,930 FPS. At sea level it has 3,200 ft lbs at muzzle and 2,200 ft lbs at 400 yds. 2,000 fps and 1,514 ft lbs at 760 yds. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djauofd":1wzdpski said:
Keep the 270 win you have everything need brass etc. Build a 270 win with a 26” 1-8 twist barrel. I have a McGowen Precision on a Rem 700 receiver. I use the Berger 170 gr EOL Elite Hunter. With Rl 26 I get just over 2,930 FPS. At sea level it has 3,200 ft lbs at muzzle and 2,200 ft lbs at 400 yds. 2,000 fps and 1,514 ft lbs at 760 yds. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You’re replying to a guy that is primarily a shotgun/bird hunter that still has the .270 he grew up with, in a thread where he can’t decide between a .308 and a 7mm mag, a guy that has no interest in shooting past 400 yards worst case scenario, and your suggestion is to go full custom? That’s a head scratcher to say the least.

OP, ditch the idea of the .308. My primary suggestion is to hunt with your .270 and don’t feel undergunned in the least. If you just have to add some powder capacity, a 7mm mag in a Tikka or Browning X-bolt will not let you down when aimed at anything with a pulse in North America. Put good glass on it.

While your 270 will work on elk just fine, a new rifle for a drawn elk hunt is as good a reason of wanting a new rifle as any.
While the 308 is capable, the 7mm is going to have better BC with 160 gr bullets than the 308 168 gr bullets. This means better retained velocity at 400 yards ( and it is past your normal 300 yard shots where this will start to show its stuff), which will ensure that 160 gr bullet expands as it is designed to do. Penetration, without hitting that heavy shoulder bone will be as needed to cleanly harvest this tenacious animal.
I have taken a few elk with the 7mm Rem Mag and 160-165 gr bullets, and they have worked wonderfully, when placed properly. Just stay away from that heavy shoulder bone. Your quickest, cleanest kills will be the double lung sot. This also means that it will travel less distance after the shot, which makes recovery easier, most of the time (but not always! LOL)
The recoil on an average weight rifle with a 24" barrel is manageable, and I have found most 7mm Rem Mag rifles to be fairly accurate to excellent. While the E-Tip is a great bullet, I prefer the AccuBond. It has done very well for me. In a pinch, should you need to grab some factory ammo, the Federal Premium 165gr SGK ammo is excellent, for both accuracy and on-game performance, I have used it quite a bit on big game from deer to elk, from 15 yards to 475 yards, without any issues.
Have fun and enjoy your new rifle on a memorable adventure!

You could take the .308, the 7 Mag and the .270 and the elk won't know the difference.

If you shoot over 300 yards, the 7 mag is going to have a somewhat flatter trajectory than the .308 but will kick harder than the 270 in the process. None of them are overly hard kickers though.

I'd roll with whatever floats your boat as there really isn't any appreciable difference in downrange "killing power" between them.

Personal pick- a god quality 7 mag is hard to beat for an "all-around Western" rifle.

Welcome aboard. Glad to see your question. As has been made evident by multiple replies, the .308, the .270 or the 7 RM will work just fine on elk. I've used the 7 RM more than the others, primarily because I've had it longer. It works very well, indeed. I never found the recoil objectionable. Frankly, in the field, you would be hard-pressed to notice any significant difference in the three cartridges.

my 7 rem mag has been my go to rifle for many years . I like the 160 grain AccuBond bullet , the 160 grain Partition would be a great choice too . I have no experience with the E-tip bullets .

The 7mm rem has always been my backup for my 300 WM, I normally hunt in big wide country, where the average shot is 300 yards. I use the 160 AB, or Partition. The 7mm Mag by far would be my choice, (I own both) as long as you can shoot it well. Recoil is moderate, and hand loads will get you into that 2900 fps range.

Green8

I am confused which happens a lot at my age, but you said "if the wife or I" in reference to the draw, but did not mention whether or not your wife will be using one of the discussed rifles or perhaps she has a rifle we are not discussing.

I would let her use the 270 and buy a new 7mm for yourself and start praying to the "draw" gods

Green8

I am confused which happens a lot at my age, but you said "if the wife or I" in reference to the draw, but did not mention whether or not your wife will be using one of the discussed rifles or perhaps she has a rifle we are not discussing.

I would let her use the 270 and buy a new 7mm for yourself and start praying to the "draw" gods

Your logic is fine. 7mm rem is a great choice. You’d also do well with 7mm WSM, extremely capable cartridge.

Nothing wrong with an etip in 7mm. Tough bullet that works.

Good luck with a great draw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies...or not jk now you have me thinking about just keeping the .270 ha. Seriously though thanks for everybody taking the time to post and helping me out!

Green08":2td82cem said:
Thanks for all the replies...or not jk now you have me thinking about just keeping the .270 ha. Seriously though thanks for everybody taking the time to post and helping me out!

I would not go on an elk hunt without a backup gun.

270 Win is a fine backup gun. Get yourself the 7mm and put a top shelf scope on it.. you’ll be happy you did!

mjcmichigan":2lqsrg79 said:
Green08":2lqsrg79 said:

270 Win is a fine backup gun. Get yourself the 7mm and put a top shelf scope on it.. you’ll be happy you did!

I would second this and have two rifles as well and maybe muddy the waters a bit with suggesting the 270 WSM as a second rifle although the 7 mm RM is a great round too and easy to find rifles and ammo.

mjcmichigan":1jmoz5u2 said:
Green08":1jmoz5u2 said:

I will third this, though any of the rifles mentioned will work.

We always take 2 rifles for each hunter. More than once, unfortunately, something happened and we had to use a backup rifle. One fall onto the scope and it may be time to switch rifles (Dad had this twice).

Yes, I always have a backup with me. Sometimes two! LOL
Actually carry my BLR in 358 as back up the most, as it is great brush rifle, and is capable for elk/grizzly out to 250 yards.
While I live on the edge of the mountains, we are also on the northwestern edge of the prairie/brush country so have some wide open spaces with all of the agricultural land too. A flat shooting rifle such as the 7mm Rem Mag (or in my case, the 7mm STW) and a brush gun (such as the 358 Win or 338 Federal) makes good sense here.

I would say the 7mm mag would have a slight advantage out west on elk, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 308, especially if you wanted a lightweight mountain rifle.

Another option is to get another 270. Then you and your hunting partner never have different or wrong ammo on hand in case someone forgets to bring ammo. You don't want to be the guy scrambling from gas station to gas station trying to find ammo on opening morning. Don't ask me how I know that.

So our core group has hunted Elk together for 40 years, they are all 10 to 12 years younger then me. In that group we have three 7mm Remington. I would guess those three combined have killed no less than 100 elk. I can recall one lost elk to the 7mm.
One of the guys used a 270 for about 5 years. He lost two or three elk before buying a 7mm. Same hunter, same skill set with a rifle, hasn't lost an elk since. He has always been a poor shooter, but he is an outstanding hunter, always gets close.
In any event, given my limited data set, I give the edge to the big 7.
Good luck hope you and your lovely bride both draw.

Back