New CZ527 Carbine (.223)

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Just picked up a CZ527 Carbine after getting to fondle one at SHOT. Everything about this little Mini Mauser was calling my name. The stock fits perfectly, and every time (and I mean every) that I pick up this gun, the sights are perfectly aligned on target. I don't plan to use the open sights exclusively, but the fact that it had irons is one of the reasons I wanted it. As for an optic, I plan to forward mount an Aimpoint Micro, and use this for close in varmints. Here in the Northeast corner of WA, we don't have areas where you can shoot coyotes, etc. at hundreds of yards. Most hunting here is under 50 yards, although the occasional clear cut does stretch that out to a couple hundred yards.

I found a nice QD Mount for the Aimpoint out of Germany, so I'll have that on the way shortly. It will sit very low, so I am hoping that the stock will work equally well with this setup. It should be very quick to acquire the target.

I found a NIB 2014 Model, which had more robust sights than the current model, but had the newer 1:9 twist that has become the CZ standard in this gun. The CZs come standard with a single set trigger too. I plan to try everything from 50 grn TNTs to 62/64 grn Xs, Fusions, PTs and BSBs. I also plan to cast for this little guy. I have never had the desire to cast for a 223 because of the limited range it shackles you with. Being this is a short range gun, I will find a reduced load with cast that has the same POI at 50 as the jacketed loads, and have a good practice/plinking load. You can also load 22LR level loads for not much more than the cost of a primer. I may regulate the sights for these low level cast loads.

This gun is light and handy. I plan to take it with me on day hikes, strapped to my pack, which will give me lots of opportunity to put it to use. Can't wait to get this thing sighted in.

I don't have any pics of mine yet, but this is the little beast.

iu

And this is the setup I plan to use for the Aimpoint.

_MG_8743_1600x1180px_150dpi.jpg

Handsome little rifle. CZ does make a find firearm. I'm intrigued by the Aimpoint. For close-in work, that should just be the thing to use.

DrMike":1hjt5ork said:
Handsome little rifle. CZ does make a find firearm. I'm intrigued by the Aimpoint. For close-in work, that should just be the thing to use.

I got the idea from watching a show about European Boar hunting. The show is produced by Aimpoint, so of course everyone uses their optics. Normally wouldn't be influenced by a show like this, except they were piling up running boars like cord wood. Thought it would be worth a try for the cost of a mount (already have the Micro).

I really like these little rifles. An acquaintance has the same one in 7.62x39 and it makes a very nice compact rifle that is really affordable to shoot.

My only gripe with CZ is the "backwards" safety on most of their rifles.

hodgeman":1umff2u3 said:
I really like these little rifles. An acquaintance has the same one in 7.62x39 and it makes a very nice compact rifle that is really affordable to shoot.

My only gripe with CZ is the "backwards" safety on most of their rifles.

I do not care for that either, although the 550s have them reversed for the American market. I will say that it isn't a huge hindrance, as it seems quite easy to pull it back while getting on target, just like cocking the hammer on a revolver.

Dwh7271":33edq3sn said:
I got the idea from watching a show about European Boar hunting.
If it’s the one I’m thinking of that guy just hammers those pigs. Think there’s a YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Wkz58rZOw&noapp=1&client=mv-google&has_verified=1

That’s some pretty fair shooting with a 7 mag.

That's the show. Some amazing shooting with unmagnified optics. I don't plan on shooting at a lot of running critters, but it sure looks like a handy setup. I talked with the Aimpoint guys at SHOT and they all told me I would be better off with the Micro. Fine by me, since it is lighter and less bulky.

It does look like a slick setup.
I’ll really be interested in how it works for you.

Dwh7271":g9bicaa0 said:
It does look like a slick setup.
I’ll really be interested in how it works for you.

I'll post up a report as soon as I get the mount and get some rounds down range.

For running boar, I use the 1-4 millet dms. I like the dot-in-donut recticle.
Gives you some magnification on longer shots ans still a both eyes open shot on short ranges.
Good luck with that gun!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I think you're going to really enjoy that CZ. I've had a CZ 527 Varmint rifle in 204 Ruger for several years. Excellent accuracy. Very reliable. Mine has a sporter-weight 25" barrel.

Very nicely built rifles. Always seemed like a lot of value for the price. Not inexpensive, just a real good value.

Had one with a maple stock for a while. Shorter, lighter contour barrel. I liked it, but really wanted the heavier barrel version. Too bad I couldn't have swapped stocks! :)

Regards, Guy

The Aimpoint mount arrived and fits perfectly. It is a tad higher than I would have ultimately liked, but it is one of the few mounts that is 100% compatible with little CZ. There are a few mounts that are lower, but they would take a bit of massaging to work. As it is, it's just a tad over 1/2" tall, but the action is so small that it makes it look much larger.

46456804615_e2094dcc84_c.jpg

Very nice set up. Quite interested in how that Aimpoint in particular works out in this application, I'm sure the gun will be typical CZ which is being very accurate. Thought about the Aimpoint for my little BLR 358 Win.

I did add a cheek riser (stock pack), which keeps my eye lined up with the dot, and can easily be removed when using the open sights.

Skookum setup. Should be a shooter. The CZs I've fired were certainly solidly built rifles. I like them.

Back