Well that worked out.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't think I'd of done this if I was in his shoes, but I traded that Savage Axis I hadn't shot yet, for a slick actioned Mauser in 30-06, plus gave him ten dollars boot money. Trigger job on that Axis must have impressed him. :?:

Finish is coming off at places but looks like it got pretty good wood underneath so I'll re-finish it. Got Williams front and rear sights that will be coming off, and definitely getting rid of those see thru mounts. I'll tear it down and check it out to make sure it doesn't need other work, but this is a lot more gun for the money.

SJB358":1exsulxy said:
Very good darned trade! Congrats.

Thanks, I sure thought so!

Just ran into the right guy where it all worked out. He's set up for 308 stuff, I'm set up for 06. He liked the tang safety and the trigger. He got a gun he can probably throw a scope on and out shoot this one, I got some work to get it where I want it, but will have a lot more gun.

Oh yeah.
I’ll take the Mauser any day.(i’m Kind of a Mauser fan)
Excellent trade imo.

I think you did well. IF you want to part with those rings, and they fit a weaver base, let me know. My BIL is looking for some.... NOT ME :). Again, I like your trade. CL

cloverleaf":2wd1zvqz said:
I think you did well. IF you want to part with those rings, and they fit a weaver base, let me know. My BIL is looking for some.... NOT ME :). Again, I like your trade. CL

CL, I can't imagine what I'd want them for. Give me a couple of days and I'll throw them into a flat rate envelope and give them to you. Just P.M. me with your address. Tell your BIL he at least owes you an ice cream cone this summer. :lol:

Well that's all fine and dandy but are you afraid to shoot it :lol:

Great trade........

Drop a Timney trigger into that Mauser and you'll be golden. I have one on mine, with the built in safety. Excellent trigger for under $200.

gerry":2nmcgmqi said:
Well that's all fine and dandy but are you afraid to shoot it :lol:

Great trade........

No, but just hope later on I don't wish I'd of shot the Axis. Ha. Part of the game, but worth the risk to be working with a much better rifle IMO.

bdbrown66":3g6tboln said:
Drop a Timney trigger into that Mauser and you'll be golden. I have one on mine, with the built in safety. Excellent trigger for under $200.

Yep, can never go wrong with a Timney in my opinion if you want to drop the cash. This still has the 2 stage trigger so at the very least I'll work on that.

Haven't figured out yet what kind of Mauser this is. Like some you run into it doesn't have marks, just a serial number. Might be marks under the scope base, I don't know.

Real slick action compared to some, so possibly an early commercial rifle where they re-worked a war time action and slicked it up before sending it out the door.

I have M43 Spanish Mauser which has only the serial number marked on the receiver. These were made in the late 1950's for export to 3rd world countries but due to Spanish law changes were never shipped and picked up buy exporters for resale. A lot of these guns were used for custom rifles and rebarreled since there were no true military markings on them and this could be one of those actions but no way of telling for sure since there could be other possibilities.
Either way a nice looking rifle that I would shoot and enjoy.
When you get a chance post some more pictures .

I believe that you got one heck of a deal :shock:. If that -06 shoots even half decent you should have worn a bandanna :lol: while making the transaction (y).
I look forward to seeing it after you refinish the stock and true it up a bit.

Blessings,
Dan

truck driver":2h4tw6tr said:
I have M43 Spanish Mauser which has only the serial number marked on the receiver. These were made in the late 1950's for export to 3rd world countries but due to Spanish law changes were never shipped and picked up buy exporters for resale. A lot of these guns were used for custom rifles and rebarreled since there were no true military markings on them and this could be one of those actions but no way of telling for sure since there could be other possibilities.
Either way a nice looking rifle that I would shoot and enjoy.
When you get a chance post some more pictures .

Here is a close up of the left side....it's got some glare but no marks on it at all except for a serial number on the left side of the front receiver ring. It's certainly not a newer style commercial action as it obviously started out life as a military configuration. It does however have the charging hump removed off the top allowing flat bases.

Here's a closer picture of the stock.....can see where the red type stain is coming off in blotches. What it does however is give a window to what's underneath. I think it will be a pretty stock when I'm done with it.

sask boy":2dk187c2 said:
I believe that you got one heck of a deal :shock:. If that -06 shoots even half decent you should have worn a bandanna :lol: while making the transaction (y).
I look forward to seeing it after you refinish the stock and true it up a bit.

Blessings,
Dan

I left him make the offer......think he thought I wanted to trade straight up. After testing everything out, he said he'd have to have at least $10 on top, I said yeah I could do that. :grin: With the $10 and what I paid for the Axis, I'm into this one for $185. (y)

Long as everybody is happy those are the best deals. He should have a trouble free gun that is a shooter. I will have more work, but it's the kind of gun I like and want.

Thanks for the other pictures, unfortunately they don't tell much as to origin of maker but the stock looks like a Fajen design which was very popular with custom builders back in the 1970s.
The reason possibly for the see threw rings was to clear the safety since it still has the original throw lever and will need to be converted before you can put a lower scope mount on it. There are a few conversion kits available for M70 style safety lever conversions which are simple to install but would be best to let a smith do it since I think there is some fitting required I think Brownell's carry them.
Since your going to refinish the stock I would also replace the recoil pad with a Pachmyer grind to fit decelerator pad for better looks and function.

Truck driver, that's not the original safety, it's a slimmer 2 position scope clearing safety that is a good bit longer than originals, with a curved thumb slot. Locks the bolt on the 60 degree up position, and fire on the left like I've seen on some commercial sold actions such as early Golden State mausers for one, there's others but that's one that comes to mind. Works out nice with that higher see thru to slide your thumb up into the curved thumb slot and knock off the safety. I believe it will clear on a low mount but probably wont leave room to get in the thumb slot, will have to flip it off by putting my thumb over the end sticking out.

I have a similar style safety on my Mauser. Clears the Ocular on a leupold but bumped into the ocular on my Bushnell. Still workable but I didn't try it often with heavy gloves in a hurry. The Winchester three positions are out there but they are spendy. Better off with a Timmeny with a rem. style side safety, money wise. Try it as is w/ scope rings of your choice. Might work good. Bold used to make a trigger but I cant find them any more. sold the one I bought before I finished the project. CL

Back