Best 6.5 Creedmoor AR rifle

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
So, one more I’m doing research on. I’ve had a couple of AR 15 platform rifles before and I just can’t get terribly excited about them. I have carried a M4 before they were designated M4’s so I’m very familiar with the platform. I’m thinking that after I get the bolt guns I truly want in place that a AR10 platform in 6.5 Creedmoor will happen. I like the looks and price point of the S&W variant but I’m also quite certain there are a million different manufacturers out there that make a similar quality product at the same or better price.
What I’m looking for is a reliable, accurate, fairly light rifle with a 1:8 twist 18”-20” barrel. Do dads and other silly crap means nota to me as I want a solid no nonsense zombie gun. It’ll wear a rail and solid low power scope and maybe a light.

I have the M&P 10 performance Center rifle and have been extremely pleased with it.

Ron

I recently put this AR10 together fit basically fit that same bill. A medium weight, medium range, hunting/teotwawki rifle.

bfa541fb6005997c69f902db2ea23eb0.jpg

There are a lot of good components out there and they go together like legos! You might want to look to an extended gas system and the JP enhanced bolt for the 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might just build one. I can take one apart and put it back together in my sleep almost. Not big on installing barrels though. Never did it and not confident with the whole headspace thing. Triggers,bolt carrier,bolts,buffer spring,etc,etc. I’m good with. Like everything I’d like to have irons with a scope. I like the collapsible rear that I have on my duty M4/Colt as a out of the way back up. Just want more than 16.5” of barrel but not more than 20”. Sounds like a build project. Just need a couple of wrenches and drift punches for the pins I guess.

Headspace is easy, generally you will get a bolt with your barrel purchase, or they will be head spaced to a specific bolt. My proof barrel was head spaced off a jp enhanced bolt, I bought at time of purchase of barrel.

Stocky’s has done good deals on proof barrels.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barrels/p ... rrels.html

Thebear_78":2wotg7ag said:
Headspace is easy, generally you will get a bolt with your barrel purchase, or they will be head spaced to a specific bolt. My proof barrel was head spaced off a jp enhanced bolt, I bought at time of purchase of barrel.

Stocky’s has done good deals on proof barrels.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barrels/p ... rrels.html

I’ve heard good things about Stocky’s before. I’ll check them out

I put a PSA together with a 20” upper. Love it.

The GAP is probably much better but I stuck a Geiselle in mine, coated the BCG with Mobil One 5-20 and it shoots like crazy.

Thebear_78":2jnso043 said:
Build one

Agreed! Simple to do with only a few specialized tools required. Although for the Creed you'll have to step up to the AR10 platform and things aren't as standardized as with the AR15, and can have compatibility issues between colt, armalite, DPMS Gen I and Gen II, etc. But a little research and it's not that hard to get a compatible parts list assembled. You could always do a Grendel or 6.8 SPC and stay with the AR15 platform.

Back