2019 Barrett Fieldcraft 270 1-9"

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
The 2019 Fieldcrafts .270s are 1-9" twist. Maybe they can do the same with 25-06? :mrgreen:

Be still my beating heart!

A fast twist .270 in a Fieldcraft is a compelling development!

I'll say! A shot in the arm for the Jack O'Connor special.

I wonder what bullets will start coming out to match it?

The 170gr Berger needs a 1:8 according to Berger. The 150gr TSX needs 1:9.5. I've always thought the 160 PT and Weldcores and similar were OK in the 1:10.

I've been using the 145 ELDX in my son's Tikka...but a .277" 160gr AB would be pretty interesting- especially with modern powders.

Looks like they switched their 25-06 to 9 twist.

hodgeman":15t8m3g3 said:
Be still my beating heart!

A fast twist .270 in a Fieldcraft is a compelling development!

I thought about you and Scotty when I saw this. More manufacturers should be doing this considering new bullets are coming out all the time and they aren't getting shorter. I would have been very interested but Barrett in their wisdom walked back their commitment on the left hand rifles. I hope a few of you buy them so we can see what they can do. This is a very good move in my opinion.

Uh oh...told the wife the three rifles I just bought were it for the year. Now I’m concerned my Fieldcraft 6.5x55 might need to have a couple of its siblings join it and our family.
Duane

The only thing wrong with the good ol' 270 Winchester is that it's getting boringly old, like the 30-06, which actually makes it appeal to me even more.

I've never owned a 270, but the danged thing slings 130's at over 3,000 fps with ease, and 150's at 2900+ fps with careful powder selection. It's always been a flat-shooting, accurate deer slayer.

As I recall, Gerry has been getting excellent results from his 160 grain loads...

Twisting it a little tighter, and adding some high BC bullets... Can only improve things I'd think.

Guy

You know Guy a lightweight 270 Win would fit in nicely between your 25-06 and 30-06 ;) And yes I'm happy with the 150 Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition, my gun really likes them and so do I.

Guy Miner":3lh04xzo said:
The only thing wrong with the good ol' 270 Winchester is that it's getting boringly old, like the 30-06, which actually makes it appeal to me even more.

I've never owned a 270, but the danged thing slings 130's at over 3,000 fps with ease, and 150's at 2900+ fps with careful powder selection. It's always been a flat-shooting, accurate deer slayer.

As I recall, Gerry has been getting excellent results from his 160 grain loads...

Twisting it a little tighter, and adding some high BC bullets... Can only improve things I'd think.

Guy

I just went down and told the 3 in my gun cabinet that you didn't really mean that. :lol:

gerry":2puonyyf said:
So......................anyone spring for one yet :grin:

Not yet......but I can feel my self control / discipline slipping away. Might be time to say goodbye to my 270 Montana and welcome the Fieldcraft into my 270 family.

I like it! Barrett is really doing good things. We always hope and want for more. I'd have liked to see a 1-8 on it to really cover all bases, but 9 is pretty good.

Good thing is barrel makes make them in whatever twist we want and the wait isn't too bad these days. I have a 270 WSM, 270 P64 and a 270 Tikka SL.. All three of them are pretty wicked rifles, like Guy mentioned about the 270 Winchester, it just performs. RL26 and other slow powders easily crush 3100 with 130's, about the same for 140's and 3000 with the 150's.. Don't pull out your calculators, but a 150 in a 270 at 3000 might compare pretty decent to a 7mm Rem Mag 160.. I know BC numbers count, but a few points on either side and man, it makes for a heckuva mountain rifle... Just like it has since 1925..

I love my boomers, but it is almost hard to find a 270 that doesn't shoot well..

gerry":n8731c2s said:
You know Guy a lightweight 270 Win would fit in nicely between your 25-06 and 30-06 ;) And yes I'm happy with the 150 Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition, my gun really likes them and so do I.

Ah!

A 270 mountain rifle! :mrgreen:

Back