Ultra Long Range Rifle

Sleek looking setup! That ought to be good out to a mile or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This rifle is purposely built for King of 2 Mile Competition.

Stiller 408 Cheytac Action
34" - 7 Twist K&P Barrel
XLR Evolution stock with Extreme BMG Butt Stock and Mercury Recoil Reduction bar
Piercision 5 Port Magnum Muzzle Brake
Jewel Trigger
Fortmeier Bipod
IOR Spyder 9-36X44Tactical Scope FFP with Tactical MP-8 Dot Reticle
IOR 6 Screws King Kong SHD Tactical Ring
Ivey Adjustable Scope Mount with 60 mils adjustment

Load: 353 grain Lehigh Match Solid at 3150 fps.

Outstanding Rommel!

Best o' luck with it and with the 2 mile competition.

I like the "skis" for bipod feet. Much better than having the feet hop around, hopefully they'll just slide back during recoil.

Guy

I'm surprised you can get the Labradar to trigger with that much distance between the muzzle and the unit. I find that they have to be much closer for it to work.

Wicked round!

Desert Fox, have you noticed that ejector mark on the head of the brass on the letter X and 7?
Is it grouping well at that speed or are you backing off a tad? I assume its virgin brass, pressure should back off once its fireformed, correct?

TackDriver284":jrbus783 said:
Desert Fox, have you noticed that ejector mark on the head of the brass on the letter X and 7?
Is it grouping well at that speed or are you backing off a tad? I assume its virgin brass, pressure should back off once its fireformed, correct?

That's the first round fired from the rifle. There's not a lot of reloading data for this cartridge so I was a bit cautious. I've heard people recommending 135 grain of Retumbo as a starting load. Others said start at 132 grain. I decided to load 5 round each starting at 133, 134, 135 and 136. The velocity on the first round I fired with 133 grains of Retumbo was 3194 fps. That's what shows on the Labradar. The brass has slight ejector mark. I fired the next two and the velocity went down at 3170 and 3157 respectively. All showed slight ejector marks. The 3 shot group was over an inch. I'm not looking for groups... more like watching velocities. I let the rifle cool down and look for my cleaning rod to clean the rifle and I left the darn thing at home. So i fired the last two and went home. The two shot group was about quarter of an inch. I pulled the rest of the bullet and reduced all to 132.5 gains. I also loaded 5 each with Reloader 33. This powder is much slower than Retumbo so started at 135, 136.5 and 138. Now Reloader 33 was showing promise. The first round I fired with 135 grain read 2950... a bit slow than I wanted, so I fired the next load at 136.5 and see what kind of velocity I will be getting with a grain and half more powder. Well, It's still slow to my liking. I believe I only reads 3025 fps. So off to the next one at 138 and the velocity went up to 3077 fps. What amazing was, the 3 shot clustered around 3/4 of an inch. I think I will stick with this powder. I only fired a total of 13 rounds so far. I'll ditch the Retumbo in favor of Reloader 33. I'll fine tune this load and test it at long distance.

The first 3 shot group.

The 2 shot group

The 3 shot group with Reloader 33 at three different weight

The 353 Lehigh with 300 grain Berger 338 OTM Match side by side comparison.

From what I read, the mono-metal bullets are the way to go for accuracy at extreme ranges.

Is that something you'd concur with?

I know that for normal hunting ranges, and even to 1,000 yards, a good conventional jacketed bullet is just fine. Terrific in many cases.

Guy, is not that mono metal is more accurate than the lead core bullet. It’s more like availability issue. There’s nobody out there right now making a very high BC lead core bullet. I would prefer to use one if there are any. Lead core are better in transitioning speed when compared with mono metal bullet. This is the reason why everyone that are using mono are using barrels that has faster twist than normal to improve the bullet ability to transition from supersonic to transonic speed.

Rommel that is some set-up :wink:!! That rig is set up to reach out and touch something :shock:!!
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3ldfj8lt said:
Rommel that is some set-up :wink:!! That rig is set up to reach out and touch something :shock:!!
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan.

My 338 Lapua Ackley can reach out there, at least 1.5 miles. But to engage target at two miles, you need horsepower and the 338 Lapua just don’t have it. You need something bigger. The 375 Cheytac is the minimum. Actually some are getting into 416 realm with bullet weighing 600 grain or more.

Wow. I'm working with Volkswagen's and you're working with either a monster truck or Ferrari. That is quite a cartridge, bullet, and weapon. Impressive long range set up.

Back