Success.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Last evening I got to thinking that I didn't have to take everything out to get the hammer back out of Pop's M71. It was almost the last piece I took out on the original tear down, but if I wanted to get just that I just needed to punch out the bushing that goes through the lower tang, hammer, and carrier, then tap the lower tang back a bit and I could get the hammer out.

Done that this evening, then I compressed the spring and using a short piece of cut off paper clip I pinned the spring back like it was supposed to be, to install it. It still was a nightmare to install as there are 2 other tiny springs that also go under the spring stop. Needed 3 hands and 15 fingers, but I got it. Thank goodness that's done. (y) (y)

All back together.

DrMike":jiannewp said:
Congratulations! (y) Admirable job, no doubt!

Thanks Dr Mike, not afraid to say it's a relief. Can't explain some of the dead ends I ran into but these are not service friendly rifles. Thank goodness they're built well to start with.

I tried finding a video on tear down and reassembly but there's nothing out there. Model 94's and 1886's, but they're both different enough that they're not much help on any of the things that had me stumped at times.

Well done!
Not sure that I am brave enough to tackle the tear down on my Browning 71!

Blkram":1kuy2hu8 said:
Well done!
Not sure that I am brave enough to tackle the tear down on my Browning 71!

Gil, I could be wrong but I'd bet it would be simpler in some respects. If it's the same on anything that gave me a lot of grief I should be able to help you out with some tricks if you ever do it.

The receiver bushing for example that goes through the lower tang, hammer, and carrier, took me 2 hrs the first time. Just would not go more than 2/3 through no matter how lined up things looked before attempting it again. You're doing it blind and I'd still be working at it without taking it back apart and discovering a trick to make it work. That's the same bushing that had to come back out to remove the hammer the second time.....took me 2 minutes to re-install it through everything this second time.

Back