American Hunter, new 444 article!

I will be the first I line to buy one!
I would have rather bought one of the .444's instead of the .45-70

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Ya, I've had two 45/70 Marlin rifles and always wanted to try a 444 Marlin. Maybe I'll get my chance!

:)

HAWKEYESATX":owh8jde8 said:

Why the .444 instead of a .45-70? Curious as I’ve been leaning towards getting a big bore levergun and thought the .45-70 was probably the better of these two choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever,

To me, there is something "magical" about the .444!
I know it doesn't have the history, and nostalgia the .45-70 has, nor can it take the range of game the .45-70 can take.
It has higher velocities than the .45-70, and that's about it.
To me, the taper on the barrel looks better, than the .45-70
It's a cartridge I've had my eye on a long time, and have always wanted one.

filmjunkie4ever":172hmued said:
HAWKEYESATX":172hmued said:

Why the .444 instead of a .45-70? Curious as I’ve been leaning towards getting a big bore levergun and thought the .45-70 was probably the better of these two choices.

Read my write up above

Excellent write up on the Marlin .444 and the cartridge,Fotis!
Makes me want to get one even more!

A fine article Fotis. A man I worked for right out of high school owned an early Marlin .444; it was his very favorite rifle. I saw him shoot a few elk with it on damage control tags, it worked well. He preferred the Hornady 265 gr SPs if memory serves. I got to shoot it several times but never took any game with it. A great round!

I never realized that the .444 was as versatile as Fotis wrote about.
I'm am definitely one of those guys that enjoys a versatile round, and I think the .444 is one I will be investing in when it comes out, again.
I'm glad that some of the bullet makers are making bullets just for the .444!
I would like to be one of the few that would actually take varmints, and predators, all the way up to elk, and moose with it.
I believe it makes a dandy woods rifle!

If I ever get a big bore Marlin it would be the 444 or maybe find one of the Winchester versions. Didn't realise how versatile it is but Fotis sure showed that in his blog. Should recoil a fair bit less than a full power 45-70 or 450 Marlin, shot guide guns in each and they sure were uncomfortable to shoot.

See? I liked full-contact sparring...

It was good.

No wonder I like the big bore Marlins! :)

Guy

yes, I had just read in a new magazine that Marlin was bringing back the 444 this year.

I’ll probably “need” one so I can compare it to my old one :grin:
It’s a terrific cartridge

I've owned several through the years. shot a lot of Beartooth bullets in them, plus the now discontinued Nosler 250PT. I traded for over a 100rds of the Hornady Light Magnums 265 and set up the BB 94 (full length magazine model) with it. Have yet to get it bloody, way too pretty for me to drag out in the snow/rain, ha. No, I gave it and its twin (.375 Win) to my grand daughter when she was a baby. Its something she can either hunt with later or sell at a good price (she is 9 now) good investments.

That 444 is a good one. Mine is being held hostage by a hog hunter down in Florida and he keeps hammering the pigs with it. I think he liked it so much, he searched for a 444 of his own and since they were out of production he ended up with a 45-70. I have both and they really do the same thing the other can do in my opinion. I do like the amount of bullets available for them both and they are so danged easy to load it's silly. Plus, man they are accurate.

Oh, and the only loads that made me question what I was doing was straight outta Guy Miner's load book. If I remember correctly it was a 425 PDJ over a bunch of H322 if I remember correctly. That first press of the trigger knocked my muffs around my noggin and rearranged my shooting glasses, but man did they shoot. If I think about it I believe they went 1800-1900 FPS.. Alot of smackdown power in that little lever gun!

Well....here I go reviving an old thread, again.

As I had said, when they had gotten around to selling them again I would buy one!

I'm happy to say I ordered one this past Wednesday, and it's on its way to my FFL as we speak!

I can't wait to have it in my hands!!!

A bucket list item to be sure!

Back