Montana Rifle Company Customer Service

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Anyone had reason to contact Montana Rifle Company Customer Service recently, or not so recently?
About two weeks ago I called inquiring about shedding some weight off my MRC ASR 30-06, with a walnut stock and a 24" barrel. The barrel is a heavier contour than my Remington 700 CDL 30-06 also with a 24" barrel.
Fluting the barrel would be expensvie and change the harmonics so it is not a reasonable option.
I am waiting about two weeks to hear back from the MRC Customer Service Rep as to how much weight I could shed going from walnut to a composite stock.
All experiences will me most appreciated. Thank you in advance.. Rol

I called them 2 years ago to buy an action. Credit card out of my pocket, ready to go. They would not honor the price published on the website, after first they guy accused me of lying to him about the price listed. So I told him where to go to see the list. Then he blamed it on the tech support. I told him I would pay the list price, right now but I would not pay the increased price. He told me they weren’t selling Saturns. I told him then where he could insert his action.

I think they make a good product. The reputation for CS is not at all good. I had heard that Nosler was buying them, not sure if that’s true. Would be awesome if they did.

I am dealings with them now (I returned the X3 due to some sort of misalignment of the chamber or bolt). It sounds like they are understaffed for the work load they have. Rifle warranty/repair seems to be backed up for weeks. There is often no answer on the phone number for warranty work. The guy I was dealing with was out for about a week and nobody seemed to fill in for him.

He sounds sincere, just overworked. I suggest the squeaky wheel approach - keep calling until you get an answer.

Dan

My buddy ordered a 300 WSM rifle from them. It would not shoot and the barrel was touching quite a bit on one side. The barrel channel of their stock looked like a meandering river. He called them on it and they scolded him for "lying" to them!!!! No help. He bought a mcMillan stock

The new owners seem interested in getting things back on track, but that could take a while. Most of the horror stories are from the era of the previous owners. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they come out of this in good shape. They are in a tiny NW Montana town, so finding employees may be a struggle.

Unfortunately there isn't a cheap way to lighten up an MRC rifle. You van either spend a lot of money to save a few ounces, or you can sell it and buy a light rifle. I'd probably look for a Kimber Montana or Hunter as a cheaper option than putting your current rifle on a weight loss program.

A new lightweight stock will cost $700+, and aluminum bottom metal is around $100. If you pay a Smith to bed your new stock you're right at $1000. At that price the Kimber Hunter is around $800, the Montanna starts around $1,200. It just doesn't take long to add up.

Last time I delt with MRC customer service they had different owners, so I can't comment on them currently.

It’s too bad as I really like their rifles. Great triggers, solid actions and such. Taylorce1 is probably right though, beyond rebarreling to a smaller contour or fluting it and adding an EDGE stock it’ll be hard to get in meaningfully lighter.

I wouldn’t worry about fluting hurting the barrel though. If they are properly stress relieved it should make a ding dongs worth of difference. If you really like it get some PT&G bottom metal, McMillan EDGE in your favorite style and send the barreled action off to Kampfeld to get it fluted. Might be a whole new rifle.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions Fellas. My MRC 30-06 is gone, traded in to cover part of the cost of rebarreling and restocking my Remington 700 in 30-06. R.W. Hart in Nescopeck PA is doing the work. My criteria is a lighter rifle that will shoot 1/2" or less @ 100 if I am on my game.

From what I hear it seems that MRC is most concerned with putting product out the door rather than developing a solid satisfied customer base.

Ha! Now that’s the way to do it. Especially since you have a rifle you really like putting a great barrel and making it perfect is never a bad way to roll.

MRC makes a really great product, I have an X2 in 26 Nosler. One thing is for sure is that they are understaffed and overworked. The can be unresponsive. My rifle took 5 months from order to delivery, WAY longer that quoted and I almost cancelled several times but had patience because it was the rifle I really wanted. Mine is pretty perfect and shoots very well way out there when I do my part.

Attachments

• 26 nosler 129 ABLR factory 3 shot 100yds.jpg
    26 nosler 129 ABLR factory 3 shot 100yds.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 765
For sure, that is a fine group that you produced. Montana Rifle Company does produce a fine product, and they are known for great performance. However, it is difficult to dismiss the multiple reports of customer service that fails to actually serve. If an individual can move past that, you can still receive a good product.

Rol_P":3v6hytbd said:
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions Fellas. My MRC 30-06 is gone, traded in to cover part of the cost of rebarreling and restocking my Remington 700 in 30-06. R.W. Hart in Nescopeck PA is doing the work. My criteria is a lighter rifle that will shoot 1/2" or less @ 100 if I am on my game.

From what I hear it seems that MRC is most concerned with putting product out the door rather than developing a solid satisfied customer base.

Bobby Hart will build you a good shooting rifle . I've shot with Bobby , and I've shot a few of his builds , his stuff works well . years ago I forgot my sleeping bag at a function , Bobby brought it home to his place for me . when I went to pick it up he ask if I was in a hurry , no I wasn't . me and another fella , Drew I think , took a few new builds to a range to put a few shots through them , and get them sighted in for the world finals being held at Williamsport range the next weekend . the one rifle I shot was a 6 dasher . it was as if it couldn't miss . he wanted these rifles barrels heated up some , so he wanted them shot fast . I think I put 20 or 25 quick shots through it , and could have covered them with a fifty cent coin easily , I was impressed . it was like shooting steel bullets at a magnetic target . I'll never forget how well that rifle shot .

Back