Mod 700 Classic .338 home now!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Whoopee! Just went over to the local smith's and picked up my Mod 700. I had a Limbsaver pad put on, pillar bedded/floated and a Trigger Tech trigger put in. Suhweet! This thing is a brand new 1987 model, someone's "investment" I'm thinking. I got it off Gunbroker. Now if I can find some bases, I can mount my scope. I have a sack full of them...somewhere! ha

Pictures or it doesn't exist ;) Sounds perfect, be neat to see what loads you end up finding in it.

This is all I have of it. I torqued the hex headed action bolts down to 55# (inch pounds?) and the only bases I found were Leupold QD bases/Medium Rings I took off the old 35 Whelen AI! Had to move the rear sight up the ramp a bit to give plenty of clearance. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 3x9 on it. It had been on several hard kickers and it has the Rainguard lens coating. I used Loctite on the bases screws of course. Hopefull I can get to the range on Monday. I can get it dialed in with the 200gr Winchester factory loads I have, get some formed brass to set up my dies. I think I am going to start with the Nosler 200 BT I have, maybe the Barnes 160.

Attachments

• 338 Classic.jpg
    338 Classic.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 753
Very nice. A friend of mine has the same rifle and it's a shooter.

JD338

Always thought the Classic's were some of the nicest rifles Remington ever made. Your's looks great and if it shoots as good as it looks you will be very happy :)

Definitely a beauty. Now, because of tomorrow, "May the Fourth be with you."

Thanks guys. I was "considering" a synthetic for one or both/cerakoting one or both....then I just decided I'd rather spend that money on hunting! ha As I mentioned before...my old tricked out 35 Whelen AI in it's $700 Brown Precision synthetic, and its baked on moly powder coating, its QD mounts and NECG sights...was never rained on, only dusted with snow, and never had to use the irons...in its last 15yrs! ha I could have used that money on "more rifles or hunts'. :) Now, at 66 (bolted together, putting off a hip replacement), if I don't focus more on hunting trips/outings "now", well, lets just say I feel "never's breath" on the back of my neck. ha I can always later be a very old limping geezer playing with rifles/loads at the rifle range and shoot rocks in the desert. NOW is the time to hunt. Discipline...its come down to that...like Praying. :)

I have Barnes 160 TTSX, 185 TSX, 180 NAB, 200 NBT, 200 NAB, 210 PT, 225 TTSX, 250 NP and 250 NAB, ha. I have traded and gathered little by little in the last year. I can surely find something this rifle likes to shoot well! :)

I may be looking for something like that in 375 soon...

A Model 700 in 375 H&H would be very useful. :)

Guy

Guy Miner":bw8oity6 said:
I may be looking for something like that in 375 soon...

A Model 700 in 375 H&H would be very useful. :)

Guy

Uh Oh, I am watching to see where this goes...

The only Classic .375 H&H I owned was as lightweight as the 35 Whelen classic! It was still very easy to shoot, with a good pad added. since I had planned on using it on a lioness, I set it up for the 300 PT and added a brake. It didn't "need" the brake, I just wanted to be able to get back on target quickly! Anyhow, it was a very handy rifle. As I had written previously, I was looking for any medium bore classic when I came up on this particular .338.

Back