Dropped the rifle and what?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
:grin:

Shoot enough, and odd things happen. A buddy of mine was a superb rifle shot, I mean uncannily good. He tried NRA Highpower competition for a while, with a very nice Springfield M1A match rifle in 308 Winchester.

One stage of that NRA course is prone rapid fire at 300 yards. Ten shots. Has to be a reload. The time starts while standing, rifle in hand. On command everyone drops to prone and starts shooting...

Somehow my pard manages to drop his rifle! :shock:

It hits the ground and fires!

The bullet struck the 7 ring on his target! :shock:

How does that happen? I dunno, but it did...

Shoot enough, stuff happens. :mrgreen:

I have more stories about this rifleman, a pretty doggone awesome guy. He doesn't shoot anymore, old body is giving out, but dang... He was something else.

Guy

I guess your buddy is just that good.................I mean he didn't want to show off too much so he aimed to the side a bit instead of drilling the target dead centre :lol:

I'd assume that your buddy was DQ'd right away for a AD!!

Not that hitting the 7 ring was amazing, just not cool had someone gotten hurt or worse died from his mistake.

Oh ya, who knows why he dropped it, but he did. Danged Jarhead!

Yes, DQ'd.

Lesson learned. But his local legend grew even stronger. "He can even drop the rifle and score!" :)

The guy was an uncanny marksman. I beat him when we'd shoot pistols, but with the rifle? He was the teacher and I was the student for sure. Lots of stories about ol' "H" and most have a humorous note. I'll share a bit now and again.

He's not doing so well anymore. Old injuries catching up to him and all.

We shot together an awful lot.

Guy

It can happen to anyone of us...... Hopefully He has a lot of good years left ahead, sounds like a great friend to have and known for so many years Guy.

Back