Nothing fancy but.....I LIKE! I need a hand with something.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
I picked up this 1976 700 BDL that have been restocked with a 700 Classic stock and also found a second stock that has a 1/2-5/8" shorter LOP for hunting with my winter gear on.

The second stock is bedded and evidently the recoil lug was about .010" inch thinner than the present one. The current one is what I consider standard. About .1875" give or take. Best I can measure the lug slot in the stock it's .176-.177" thick. It's a NO GO.

What the heck do people use to open up recoil slots? I did some online searches and found little other than the "best" way is to open it too big and re-bed around the recoil lug. Ok.......fine. I still haven't a clue on an "easy" way to open it up......without turning it into Steve's stock sculpturing. :shock:

NO clue if this will provide photos. New photo storage......and I'm not website friendly. HA

I thought since another Classic was up recently for viewing, maybe someone would like to see it even if it's just an "also ran" rifle. Photos do NOT due justice to the wood grain.......which is RARE, IMHO, in a 700 Classic stock.

( I guess I don't have it yet but the three photos should show in the link. I'll get there...be patient.)

Anyone wanting to post the photos the RIGHT way, has my permission and my thanks in advance.

God Bless
Steve

https://imgur.com/a/VfOAUUl

Let's try this again......

NOPE..........ROFLMAO...........grrrrrrrr!

I have two Remington 700 Classics, a 30-06 and a .35 Whelen. I also have a BDL 30-06 but hated that shiny bowling pin finish. About 20 minutes work with some 0000 steel wool and now it has a very nice satin finish. They must use a spray gun to finish off those classic stocks and both of mine have runs and or orange peeling. One of these days I'll get some rubbing compound and fix that problem. The only other change to the BDL was install a Packmeyer Decelerator pad. Darn slickery plastic butt plate kept slipping off my shoulder when shooting at game. There will be one on the .35 Whelen as well as the factory pad is as hard as the rock of Gibralter. The wood on all three of my rifles is about as plain as you can get.

Edited to add:
About all I can say about the recoil lug is if it were mine I'd just open it up with a Dremel tool and glass bed. If you're good with a sharp chisel it's even easier. I've done around four rifles that needed bedding of the recoil lug. Winchester uses some kind of plastic goo/glue??? and I removed it and did a proper glass bedding of the lug. The rifles shoot a lot better with the change.

Paul B.

Dang. These two stocks are my 3rd and 4th, the first two on 350 Mag classics. I've never had any issues with the finish at all.
This one is a 243 Weenie......err......Winny :p ....recoil wont be an issue, especially on the cut and re-padded stock. The must have cut it a tad short and they put a Mag depth pad on it. HA.

For what I got it for, I couldn't care less. It's a future project rifle stock anyway but thought I'd use it till then in the winter.

God Bless
Steve

That stock does look nice.
If you have a Dremal tool or wood chisels you can remove some of the bedding from the forearm side of the recoil lug so it will fit and then skim bed it if you want but for me I would just leave it as is once I got the stock on the rifle. Since it is such a slight difference in size you might be able to just wrap a piece of medium grit sand paper around a flat file and sand it down to fit.

Very nice. Those 700 Classic's are some of the best rifles Remington ever put out.

Never ran into that exact same scenario but my initial thoughts echo what was already mentioned. Open it up with a Dremel, and re-bed it. The Dremel might make it look like a smooth toothed beaver got after it, but new bedding will take care of every bit of that.

Like others said I'd open it up with the dremel and re bed. Should be fairly easy. I've done it on a howa, but they are alot bigger lug than the Remington uses. The only thing I could think of that might be tricky is getting a dremel attachment small enough to fit in that narrow recoil lug.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":2a4vlsff said:
Like others said I'd open it up with the dremel and re bed. Should be fairly easy. I've done it on a howa, but they are alot bigger lug than the Remington uses. The only thing I could think of that might be tricky is getting a dremel attachment small enough to fit in that narrow recoil lug.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
They make some very small bits for the dremel and I use the carbide which stays sharp longer and will eat threw most anything.
Biggest problem unless you use the cable extension is room for the tool head in some stocks is too large to get down into the stock channel.

Back