Left Handed M70

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I am traveling out of town and late yesterday afternoon I found a left-handed M70 on a gun store rack.

I need some help from the Model 70 aficionados. When was this rifle made? Was one of the "good ones"?

Yesterday when I was looking at the rifle the best I could tell was:

- made in New Haven
- left handed
- controlled round feed
- "Classic Sporter"
- G38xxxx serial number (G followed by six digits)
- 7MM Rem. Mag.
- the barrel is NOT free floated

I tried to do some research last night but the hotel WI FI and router were giving me fits.

To the best of my knowledge left handed versions of the Model 70 were only made in certain years. Based on my limited research last night the "Classic Sporter" was made by US Repeating Arms in the "new" New Haven plant between the years 1992 and 2006. Then production in New Haven stopped. The serial numbers for the "Classic Sporters" were mixed as the manufacturer filled in gaps in the serial number sequences. It is rumored by some that the M70's built in the mid 90's by US Repeating Arms were good shooters. It is also rumored that the quality took a down turn the last couple of years of production before closing in 2006.

However, I am not sure of any of the above information. Can anyone on the forum confirm or correct any of this information.

Since I am traveling, I have limited opportunity to react to this opportunity. Thank you for any insight.

I really like this rifle and am sorely tempted. Where are my "enablers"? Help!

Dan

Gee Dan I don't know what to tell you since you didn't tell us the asking price.
But I don't think there weren't all that many made in left handed actions.
If the price was right I would buy it if I were left handed and wanted one.
I do have a right handed M70 Classic from that era in 338 Win and just using a get me on paper sight in load that dang thing shot very small groups.
Mine was made in the 90's.
I don't think you could go wrong if the price is right where if you don't like it once you shoot it you can turn it over for a profit.
Most of these ended up in M70 collectors hands.

My blue book says left hand production 97 to 05 in the 7 mag. Also said 10% added value for lefty.

Computer Fits have delayed my posting, but I must tell everyone seeing this that I received an early morning phone call from Dan today, and I offered all the support and encouragement that I could muster at that early hour..to add this rifle to his meager collection. :grin:

I am a few years older than Dan, retired now for 12 years, a true blessing. The down side of getting older is witnessing the loss or debilitation of family or friends due to failing health. We shared examples of this phenomenon and the bottom line is I told Dan that now is the time to grab that Winchester.. The time is not going to get any better. We do not know how much longer the music will play for us.

During our conversation I also reminded Dan that he needs to pick up a set of dies, bullets and brass and maybe some factory ammo to get started with the new darling.

Having Dan as a friend is nice and I enjoy helping him spend money. I know that he will reciprocate when the opportunity arises. :grin: (y)

If the price is right...buy it.

It will either be a shooter or you can take it apart and make it into one.

Buy it. Now.

I've got seven LH M-70s from .270 Win. to .470 Capstick, and they may never make them again.

The problematic ones were fixable.

George

Grab that rifle, Dan. The action alone would be worth the expenditure. Quality out of the New Haven plant was iffy during the last few years. However, they managed to put out some excellent rifles. The model number alone won't really give you that much information. Of all the Winchesters out of New Haven I picked up, only one wound up going down the road because it simply would not shoot. And it wouldn't have gone if I hadn't had opportunity to replace it with ... another Winchester from the same era. All my New Haven rifles have proven to be shooters, some with a little extra effort, but all with a high degree of satisfaction. Consequently, my 7RM is of similar vintage, and it is still a consistent 0.75 MOA rifle with 175 grain pills. It has accounted for more than its share of deer, elk and moose.

Better buy it!
Getting harder and harder to find good left handed rifles!
Most 7 Mags aren't fussy about ammo and shoot at least acceptably well to very well.

Friends, thank you all for the encouragement and support to buy this rifle, especially to my number one enabler and bad influence, Roland. I heeded his advise that "We do not know how much longer the music will play for us" and went back to the gun shop today.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this rifle was listed as "Previously Owned" and came with the original box and papers. The best I can tell, this rifle was never shot by the original owner. The screw blanks were still in the tapped receiver holes and there were no signs of any base ever having been attached to the receiver. There are NO marks of any kind on the exterior of the rifle. The bolt and the rails show no wear. There is one scratch on the bottom of the bolt but it is not visible unless you remove the bolt.

DSCN0503.JPG

DSCN0504.JPG

DSCN0505.JPG

DSCN0507.JPG

Once I had the catalog number (535026230) from the box label I was able to find this 2003 catalog on the internet: http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/d ... atalog.pdf

Basically, I figure a got a new rifle for a used rifle price althought the used rifle price now is about what the new rifle price was then. At any rate, I can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks again to everyone for their encouragement.

Dan

Everytime I buy an older rifle in unfired condition...I can't help but wonder why. And then go shoot it!

I’ve had 3 of the stainless lefties. 30-06, 338 WM, and the 300 H&H I put together from parts. The ‘06 was real rough, never fired the .338. The action I built the H&H on is nice. They were kinda hit and miss.

You’ll want to swap the factory extractor for a Williams forged if you’re going to shoot it. Kinda pricy but those factory blued ones are soft. Some of them have really weird feed ramps too but if it feeds it feeds.

Nice score. Hope you got a good buy. It would be very tempting to put it in the back of the safe and forget about it as nice as it is. Only gonna get more valuable.

gbflyer":3t9qtfic said:
It would be very tempting to put it in the back of the safe and forget about it as nice as it is. Only gonna get more valuable.

I haven't fired my LH M-70 .300 Win. Mag. and .338 Win. Mag. for that reason and that I already have other LH .300 and .338 magnum rifles.

gbflyer":1jbaeowd said:
I’ve had 3 of the stainless lefties. 30-06, 338 WM, and the 300 H&H I put together from parts. The ‘06 was real rough, never fired the .338. The action I built the H&H on is nice. They were kinda hit and miss.

You’ll want to swap the factory extractor for a Williams forged if you’re going to shoot it. Kinda pricy but those factory blued ones are soft. Some of them have really weird feed ramps too but if it feeds it feeds.

Nice score. Hope you got a good buy. It would be very tempting to put it in the back of the safe and forget about it as nice as it is. Only gonna get more valuable.

gbflyer, thank you for the tip about the extractor. I wasn't aware of that issue. As far as putting it in the back of the safe, I completely understand the concept. However, when I buy a gun I want to use it.

Dan

NYDAN":pwv66wvl said:
gbflyer":pwv66wvl said:

gbflyer, thank you for the tip about the extractor. I wasn't aware of that issue. As far as putting it in the back of the safe, I completely understand the concept. However, when I buy a gun I want to use it.

Dan

Me too. I seldom take my own advice. [emoji1]

After playing with my Son's Model 70 in the 270wsm I would not hesitate to pick up another Winchester :wink: and in the left hand version is the only way to go :mrgreen:.
Dan if you were to wander up on the north side of the 49th I am sure I could find a very good home for it :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1r8w0tbz said:
After playing with my Son's Model 70 in the 270wsm I would not hesitate to pick up another Winchester :wink: and in the left hand version is the only way to go :mrgreen:.
Dan if you were to wander up on the north side of the 49th I am sure I could find a very good home for it :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan
Dan, I appreciate your offer to "find a very good home for it". The poor thing must feel very underutilized right now. It had not even ever had the original cosmoline cleaned from it. But, I gave it a thorough cleaning, and applied some fresh G96. I even attached scope bases, rings, and a scope to it. It seems to like the companionship. It has settled in quite nicely now and made some friends in the gun cabinet. We still need to see how well it will play with the little bullets, but it I have my doubts that it will want new foster parents anytime soon. However, I will put your name on the list of interested parties and advise you if the situation should change. Again, thank you for your generous offer :grin:

Dan
Ps. I have been known to travel above the 49th.

They say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." So, here is the picture.

7mmRM-168 ABLR.jpg

What say you all? Would the 7mm 168 gr. ABLR at 2900 fps make an adequate elk load?

Dan

Back