Inch/lb torque wrench.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I got a small Mac brand inch/lb torque ratchet in exchange for some work I done. 30-200 range in 1 inch/lb increments. Messed around with it some and it seems like a quality made tool but being it's a 1/4" drive ratchet and not a straight driver, not sure how it will work out for gun work.

I don't own a inch/lb torque wrench, I do it by feel and it varies depending on the gun. Has worked out well for me so far but I wouldn't mind having one. What do you guys use? I can either keep this or sell it and use the funds to buy something different.

I use a wheeler fat driver.

Not as granular, but it works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also use the Wheeler screwdriver :wink: and it works well for what I need it for.

Blessings,
Dan

Wheeler is the way to go and will adjust low enough to torque your scope screws. The mac won't and you chance damaging your scopes and guns.

Using a Wheeler Fat Wrench, as others have suggested. It serves me well. I should imagine that Mac brand will work as well, or perhaps even better. You're good to go.

DrMike":1f7b978a said:
Using a Wheeler Fat Wrench, as others have suggested. It serves me well. I should imagine that Mac brand will work as well, or perhaps even better. You're good to go.
DrMike the OP said it had a range from 30"lbs - 300"lbs. Don't you think that might be a little too much for for scope screws and scope base screws?
Yeah it will work on most action screws but I don't think I want 30"lbs on my scope screws. JMHO :grin:

Thanks fella's. Haven't tried it yet on any action, will have to see how it works. Already tested it on other things and it works slick, but the ratchet vs a straight driver might be a little awkward when dealing with action screws.

Truck Driver, I wouldn't attempt to use it on scope screws. I do them the same as I do action screws, by feel. I just use my fingertips on the driver instead of my hand and tighten in a cross bolt pattern like tightening head bolts on a motor. Hasn't failed me yet in either damaging anything, or coming loose, but I suppose I should just break down at some point and get a wheeler.

ShadeTree":2e8ouacy said:
Thanks fella's. Haven't tried it yet on any action, will have to see how it works. Already tested it on other things and it works slick, but the ratchet vs a straight driver might be a little awkward when dealing with action screws.

Truck Driver, I wouldn't attempt to use it on scope screws. I do them the same as I do action screws, by feel. I just use my fingertips on the driver instead of my hand and tighten in a cross bolt pattern like tightening head bolts on a motor. Hasn't failed me yet in either damaging anything, or coming loose, but I suppose I should just break down at some point and get a wheeler.
ShadeTree;
Yeah the Wheelers are not that expensive and you probably could get one off Amazon and if you have prime get free shipping.
Like you I did everything by hand and snug fit with out any problems for years.
To me mine is worth it's weight in gold and don't know how I ever did with out it.
It may not be prefect and as precise as some torque wrenches but it beats having none.

Back