Ruger American rebarreling

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Thinking about rebarreling my ruger American predator 260 to a 243. Has anyone here rebarreled one? I know that the barrel makers are making them, curious if they use the barrel nut, and could be changed out like the savage, couldn't see anything on there websites, but did send a message to shaw asking

I have been told that the Ruger American, and the Ruger Precision Rifle, offer easy barrel swaps - but I haven't done it myself. It is one of the things that attracted me to the RPR as a target rifle 'cause I might end up putting a lot of rounds through that rifle and needing a new barrel now and again.

But, no, I haven't rebarreled one. Perhaps someone who has, will chime in.

Regards, Guy

OK, I'll ask the obvious....

A new Ruger American can be had for $249 on up.
Why would you rebarrel one rather than just buy another?

Dr. Vette":2fvpq3dz said:
OK, I'll ask the obvious....

A new Ruger American can be had for $249 on up.
Why would you rebarrel one rather than just buy another?

I've thought about that too, short answer is safe space(tho I could sell the 260 and buy a 243) I do want the heavier barrel of the predator or even heavier if I do a custom, current 243 predators have a AI mag and not sure if that will work in the boyds stock I have.

Hi Slimfinn, I am curious why would you change your 260 into a 243? :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":24pmm4dx said:
Hi Slimfinn, I am curious why would you change your 260 into a 243? :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,
I have 2 other 260's so very unlikely this one will be shot much anymore if at all, Daughter has a lefty 243 and doesn't shoot much. I have a bunch of brass so think the only way the gun will get shot, and brass used, would be turning it into a light varminter.

I see :wink:, your daughter is a lefty I like that fact :mrgreen:. We need more people that understand the proper side of the rifle :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back