Remington 760

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
Any of you guys know of someone or yourself , that ever rebarreled a 760/7600 to another caliber?

I’ve heard of one that did it, I think they used JES rifles. I thing they also had him bore a 308 to a 358 if I remember right or might have been a 3006 into a whelen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was thinking 35 Whelen or 358 winchester........ but the 358 really is handicapped past 250 yds.

35 Whelen would be a good one.
Do you have a gunsmith in mind?

JD338

another guy here told me about JES in Oregon. But I don't think I will do it any time soon.

I had two out of three apart to a good cleaning and was wondering if I find a barrel to do it myself. I know about headspace. I would say the bolt is the same except for the forward end would be different, the length that is?

I could be wrong here so find out for sure before you go ahead with anything just off what I'm saying. But I believe from what I remember looking over different ones that they are the same action for both long and short action cartridges. Can't remember exactly how it's configured because I don't have any here to look at, but there is a block on the magazines to keep the cases forward on the short action cartridges. So same bolt, everything.

now that I'm thinking about it.. I thought the 35 Whelen is the same headspace as the .30-06.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/saami-he ... field.html

Cross-compatibility: Many of our headspace gauges are compatible with multiple chamber specifications. For instance, .30-06 Springfield headspace gauges are usable in .25-06, .270 Winchester, 6.5-06, 8mm-06, .338-06, and .35 Whelen chambers. We list known compatible chambers with each headspace gauge product. Refer to our Compatible Headspace Gauge Chart below or ask your sales representative if your gauge is cross-compatible.

.35-06 / .35 Whelen.... technically the 35 Whelen is a .35-06

Slickrem, yes all the cartridges you listed are just necked up or necked down versions of the 06 case. I thought you were asking about going from a short action 308 for example, to a 35 whelen. In that case far as I know you could re-bore/rechamber, or re-barrel, with no other changes except the magazine. Far as I know the action is the same in the 760 for both long and short action cartridges.

Might be more cost effective to buy a 7600 in 35 Whelen.

JD338

Found a site called Classic Firearms and parts.....

Here' what he said JD338.... LOL

Hi Ralph,
Everyone wants a 35 Whelen barrel.
Your best bet is to send your gun to Remington and have them install one for you. I would count my self fortunate if I find one in the next ten years.

Scott

So you buying a rifle would be the ideal thing !!

I'd start shopping Gun Broker and Guns America for a 7600 in 35 Whelen. I think that would be your best bet for one. Also 24hourcampfire classified.
If you decided to go with a bolt action, you may increase the odds of finding something or you could build one.
I have an awesome gunsmith if you are interested. He just built my 338 RUM and I shot a 2" group at 800 yards.

JD338

Or you can just wait for Fotis to get tired of his. He usually puts out a good deal!

SJB358":2mf7kvzq said:
Or you can just wait for Fotis to get tired of his. He usually puts out a good deal!

He's a little slow answering PM's... I can't imagine me waiting that long for a rifle !!! LOL :wink:

JD338":3l6i2pdb said:
I'd start shopping Gun Broker and Guns America for a 7600 in 35 Whelen. I think that would be your best bet for one. Also 24hourcampfire classified.
If you decided to go with a bolt action, you may increase the odds of finding something or you could build one.
I have an awesome gunsmith if you are interested. He just built my 338 RUM and I shot a 2" group at 800 yards.

JD338

Remington doesn't have parts and doesn't work on them.... just the 7600's which the 35 is only chambered in. So I have to buy a 7600. The barrels don't interchange,760/7600.

If I can get a 7600 barrel, and then buy a cheap 7600 rifle/bolt (unless the bolt is the same for head spacing).... then I could have something. I don't like synthetic stocks which that's only what the 35 is offered in.

592c910365604144ff584e650a83af26.jpg

Nice one on GB for sale right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the exact one I’ve got. It’s kinda my NY killer. Shoots easy, accurate, runs a 225 Sierra at 2675 and just pounds deer.

Back