When they pry it from my hands.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Pretty much how I feel about this rifle. I've yet to run across another one that will hang with it load after load and test after test.

A 1969 M70 in 30-06 that has a bad habit of cutting bullet holes from a cold bore. I typically just load 2 rounds every now and then just to check it.

This rifle shot some older 150 Speer HC's every bit as good as it shot the Hornady's and Sierra's I ever tried in it. Got some new Speer's that didn't shoot good at all so loaded up 2 with the old Hornady load just to make sure it wasn't the rifle. It's not.

P.O.I. is off because the new Speer's were shooting way off and I adjusted my scope last time out.

2 touching from a cold bore like is typical with this rifle.

Then I also tested a new load with different powder. 51-52 grains of IMR 4064 with a 150 gr bullet is considered standard fodder for the 06 for out of the box "hunting accuracy". No load development required with this rifle. I loaded single charges up through just checking pressure then had 4 loaded at the top charge. 3 shot group was under 1/2" with a 4th putting it just under 3/4".

Darn it!! Now you're gonna make me drag out my Mauser and Mannlicher Schoenauer to try to top that. :)

That'll do. Each of us is proud to have one that makes us shine. Looks as if that is the one for you. (y)

Thanks fella's. Not sure what for pixie dust got sprinkled on it at the factory that's made it what it does, but some things remain unexplained so you just go with it. Both those groups above were put together with well worn Remington brass of varying lengths. Just made sure all were under max length and loaded them up.

I believe I put these up before but this is the 150 Speer Hc's on top the very 1st time I tested them loaded up exactly like the Hornady's. It continued to shoot those old Speer's lights out until I ran out of them and tried these new one's that are apparently inferiorly manufactured and now wont shoot. Disgusting.

150 Speer Hc's on top, 180 Hornady Interlock's on bottom. Fired in succession from a cold bore. Take a flat based quality made bullet of either weight, seat it somewhere around the base of the neck, give it a powder charge that gives it good case fill and working pressure's, and it's a very happy camper.

There is a somewhat portly Model 70 in 30-338 hunting rifle in my safe that does similar. It wears a Hart barrel and McMillan stock but there is still no explaining why it does what it does. Switch bullet weights, powder, cases, and the 100 yard hole grows to about an inch in diameter with 15 rounds.

Little bit of the same thing here GB. It's weird but this gun doesn't follow normal rules. For example, that 56.2 gr load of IMR 4350 is VERY mild...never chrono'd it but it's likely to be at or slightly below typical 308 Win velocities in this 22" barreled 06. Load development for that consisted of single charge weights and it put 56 and 56.5 in the same hole so I split the difference and it's loved it ever since. Never tested it any farther but I bet it would also shoot bug holes with the typical 58-59 gr's of 4350 that usually shoot best in 06's.

In contrast with no load development and using the same bullet seated at the same depth with a faster burning powder at peak pressure and a grain over Hodgdon's max, the group for all practical purposes, remains unchanged. I bet that 4064 load is minimum 6-8 thousand more PSI and 100-150 fps faster than that mild load with the slower burning 4350. If I tried to figure it out I'd go goofy.

ShadeTree":3heaeb99 said:
Little bit of the same thing here GB. It's weird but this gun doesn't follow normal rules. For example, that 56.2 gr load of IMR 4350 is VERY mild...never chrono'd it but it's likely to be at or slightly below typical 308 Win velocities in this 22" barreled 06. Load development for that consisted of single charge weights and it put 56 and 56.5 in the same hole so I split the difference and it's loved it ever since. Never tested it any farther but I bet it would also shoot bug holes with the typical 58-59 gr's of 4350 that usually shoot best in 06's.

In contrast with no load development and using the same bullet seated at the same depth with a faster burning powder at peak pressure and a grain over Hodgdon's max, the group for all practical purposes, remains unchanged. I bet that 4064 load is minimum 6-8 thousand more PSI and 100-150 fps faster than that mild load with the slower burning 4350. If I tried to figure it out I'd go goofy.

I figure it’s kind of like a real friend. The one that will bring the shovel. You get one in your lifetime if you’re lucky. Lots of BS out there but it’s mostly just that.

You have yourself a keeper.
Nice shooting.

JD338

Back