Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
So saturday I went with my brother to a local gun and pawn shot, that has a huge ruger sale every year. I had a slight hope I might find a #1 or hawkeye safari in 9.3x62. Thought that would go great with my 98 mauser in 9.3x62. Didnt find one of those, but I did see this one In 275 rigby. Seemed like a good deal, but I decided not to buy it. Well it ate me up sunday, so i called this morning and left after work to go get it. Has very nice wood, and iron sights. And a very slim and slender stock that feels great in the hands. I had a fixed 6x leupold put on it and brought it home with me. Now starts the gathering components. I believe these rifle have a fast twist and are throated for the long heavy bullets. Picking up some norma 7x57 brass, and have not decided on bullet or weight yet. Prolly end up trying the 156-175 grain weights. Ordered 2 boxes of PPU 139 grain soft points to break it in. This was a lipsey dealer rifle and only 250 were made I believe. Looking forward to trying it out Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
Do believe this will make an exceptional whitetail rig for where I hunt in Mississippi.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 pm
Posts: 32334
Location: Northern British Columbia
That is a great grab for you. Excellent acquisition that'll do the trick with deer.

_________________
Fortiorum fortia facta


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:43 am
Posts: 332
Nice find! Don't overlock the 120 gr BT. My son and a friend use them in their 7x57 and are great on deer. 140 gr second choice. Dan.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29372
Location: Northern Virginia
Wow! Great score. I like it!

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:54 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
Thanks guys! I'll prolly start with 140's and then go up to the heavies. I have no doubt about that 120 BT. I used the 120 BT in a 260 for years and it was a deer killer no doubt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Posts: 29
That's a beautiful rifle and a fantastic classic chambering. I've had great results in my 7x57 with Remington, Winchester, and Norma brass, with Norma being the best. So far I've taken whitetails with the Hornady 154gr. Interlock, Sierra 140gr. Gamekings, and 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 120s are top choice for me, and the 140 Sierras also performed well. The 120s shot best with Varget and RL15. The 140s and 154s shoot best with H414 and H4350.

I hope you get to break that rifle in this fall on a big southern buck and post pictures iif you do


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
6.5_sWv wrote:
That's a beautiful rifle and a fantastic classic chambering. I've had great results in my 7x57 with Remington, Winchester, and Norma brass, with Norma being the best. So far I've taken whitetails with the Hornady 154gr. Interlock, Sierra 140gr. Gamekings, and 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 120s are top choice for me, and the 140 Sierras also performed well. The 120s shot best with Varget and RL15. The 140s and 154s shoot best with H414 and H4350.

I hope you get to break that rifle in this fall on a big southern buck and post pictures iif you do
Thanks man hopefully so!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29372
Location: Northern Virginia
I’ve seen the 6.5 Swedes and the 9.3’s but haven’t found the 275 Rigby version yet. I love that danged rifle. Ruger knocked it out of the park. You did it even better throwing that straight 6 on top! Can’t wait to hear how it breaks in for you.

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:40 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 pm
Posts: 32334
Location: Northern British Columbia
With the twenty-four inch barrel, this should achieve excellent velocity for you. This is a most desirable rifle. With only 250 made, you definitely managed to snag a deal.

_________________
Fortiorum fortia facta


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 am 

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 am
Posts: 5909
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
That rifle is a excellent find and I am sure you will be putting her to good use :wink:. We are looking forward to a couple of range reports with photos of course (y).

_________________
Keep the Son in your eyes

Whelen is the way


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
Thanks guys hopefully I can do some grouping this weekend. Only will have the PPU stuff, but that brand actually shot very good out of my 9.3x62. Friday I will order some dies, brass,and bullets.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
I had heard that the stock dimensions were based off of jim Corbett's 275 rigby highland stalker. That may not be true, I dont know. I do know that it is the slimmest stock I've never felt on a ruger, almost seems small in the hands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29372
Location: Northern Virginia
Cleveland48 wrote:
I had heard that the stock dimensions were based off of jim Corbett's 275 rigby highland stalker. That may not be true, I dont know. I do know that it is the slimmest stock I've never felt on a ruger, almost seems small in the hands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Yes sir. Heard the same thing. I love that old stalking rifle look and long barrel. Can’t wait to see what it does!

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:45 pm
Posts: 22106
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Awesome rig

_________________


Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!


My blog. Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2489
Location: Delta Junction, AK
I like it. A lot.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
Well I went ahead and bedded the rear tang, and recoil lug today. Figured it couldn't hurt. Have not messed with the barrel channel yet to free float it. After bedding fully cured I'm going to check to mag box to make sure it can move slightly. I been studying the ruger forums all day and these three things seem to be the best bet. Even if it only shoots 2 inch groups I'll still keep it. It just handles and feels to good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:01 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29372
Location: Northern Virginia
Cleveland48 wrote:
Well I went ahead and bedded the rear tang, and recoil lug today. Figured it couldn't hurt. Have not messed with the barrel channel yet to free float it. After bedding fully cured I'm going to check to mag box to make sure it can move slightly. I been studying the ruger forums all day and these three things seem to be the best bet. Even if it only shoots 2 inch groups I'll still keep it. It just handles and feels to good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


I have noted from my last couple Ruger's they are a little rough in the barrel and take some smoothing, so I wouldn't be to put off if it takes awhile to smooth out. JB the tar out of it!

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am
Posts: 1022
That's a really cool rifle!! Good score. (y)


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
ShadeTree wrote:
That's a really cool rifle!! Good score. (y)
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:10 am 

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 am
Posts: 461
Too bad you were not able to find a 7 x 57 mauser to go with your 9.3 x 62. (-:

I have never used a 275 Rigby, but have hunted, a lot, with the 7 x 57 Mauser

Your decision to use the 6 fixed is an excellent decision and the 160 and 175 Woodleighs have worked very well for us, however recently the 156 Norma Oryx has worked for the little stuff ( Nyala ) and large stuff ( Eland ) so you might try that.

This caliber will work well for the little girl in the picture in a few years as the recoil is mild and we see more and more females using this caliber.

If she does become a hunter and uses the rifle, maybe you can but a piece of tape over the 275 Rigby designation and mark it correctly--just a thought

Best Regards

Jamila


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am 

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:13 pm
Posts: 1384
I could be wrong but didn't Rigby just mark the .275 as 7MM? Seems like I read that somewhere not too long ago. I built a custom Mauser in 7x57 a few years back. Been trying to find a load it and I both agree upon. For some reason it shows high pressure way before my other two 7x57 rifles do.
As an aside. I have a red box by Remington with unprimed brass head stamped RP 7MM. No other markings. I wonder how old those are?
Paul B.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
Africa Huntress wrote:
Too bad you were not able to find a 7 x 57 mauser to go with your 9.3 x 62. (-:

I have never used a 275 Rigby, but have hunted, a lot, with the 7 x 57 Mauser

Your decision to use the 6 fixed is an excellent decision and the 160 and 175 Woodleighs have worked very well for us, however recently the 156 Norma Oryx has worked for the little stuff ( Nyala ) and large stuff ( Eland ) so you might try that.

This caliber will work well for the little girl in the picture in a few years as the recoil is mild and we see more and more females using this caliber.

If she does become a hunter and uses the rifle, maybe you can but a piece of tape over the 275 Rigby designation and mark it correctly--just a thought

Best Regards

Jamila
Yes Jamila my little girl has already asked if that could be her gun when she got bigger. So far she loves to "work" on gun stuff as she calls it lol. She really enjoys helping reload also, so I'm hoping she keeps an interest in firearms or hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1322
PJGunner wrote:
I could be wrong but didn't Rigby just mark the .275 as 7MM? Seems like I read that somewhere not too long ago. I built a custom Mauser in 7x57 a few years back. Been trying to find a load it and I both agree upon. For some reason it shows high pressure way before my other two 7x57 rifles do.
As an aside. I have a red box by Remington with unprimed brass head stamped RP 7MM. No other markings. I wonder how old those are?
Paul B.
I bet that's a very old box.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:09 pm
Posts: 4613
Location: Western Montana
That sure is a darn fine looking rifle! Ruger builds a really solid well made rifle. I know my son sure likes his Ruger MKII and I have two 1B's that you could not pry out of my hands. I saw some of the Hornady factory ammo here where I live in one of our sporting goods stores that shows it for the 275 Rigby! You need to snag a couple of those boxes of ammo just to display!

Like Jamila I to applaud you on your choice of scope. PERFECT scope for that rifle and an awful lot of others!!

David

_________________
NRA LIFE MEMBER / RMEF / Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
Boone & Crockett Club / Montana Bow Hunters Association


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

This forum is:

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net