Kimber 280 Ack

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
The chance to buy a barely used Kimber 84 stainless Hunter in 280 AI has came my way. It's Kimber's base model that I see retail about $775. It belongs to a friend who's looking to replace it with a 7RM. He doesn't handload so it's an ammo availability/cost issue, mosty. He says it's had less than 2 boxes ammo fired through it. Just enough to zero the scope and a few deer and a bear...It looks and functions perfect. It doesn't have glass, but a set of Talley mounts is included. I'm not real fond of the FDE stock color, but I suppose that can be easily remedied. I'm pretty sure it's about a year old. Anyway he's asking $600, which seems fair considering the condition and round count and the included Talley mounts and a spare mag.....So what say you enablers?

you really cant go wrong with the Kimber rifles, essentially a Model 70 clone. What I do not like is the detachable mag and the molded in trigger guard on the Tupperware stock on that model. The weight does make the configuration attractive though, only 5lbs 12oz

I’d be happy with a Kimber!

If you want a 280AI sounds like a great opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the exact same, but my brother has the Mtn Ascent 280 and it is a nice rifle. Shoots very well after bedding as well. I will say most of the Kimbers require some form of bedding to really come around to their potential. But man, good luck finding a lighter rifle with the sum of components you can buy a Kimber for.

If you find that you do not really like the rifle, because of the stock, as you say, it can be remedied, with a new stock of your choice. And if it the rifle, you can sell it.Kept in good shape, you should get your money back out of it.
Either way, you will get a chance to own and handle the Kimber and experiment with the 280 Ackley. Then you will know what you like (or do not like) about the rifle and/or the cartridge. Experience well gained!

Yeah, nothing wrong with that rifle at that price.

I've had several Kimbers, with one exception they all shot well.

Sure looks like Kimber builds a nice firearm. That being said I have never shot a Kimber rifle. The 280 AI is a sweetheart of a cartridge and it will grab your heart and not let go! Yes cartridges can do that to a person.
David

Thanks guys. It will be mine tomorrow! I'm excited to work with the Ackley. I already like the standard 280 a bunch and looking forward to seeing what the AI version has to offer..It'l probably be after hunting season before I can do any serious work with it, but I'll be sure to post updates.

I haven't gave it a lot of thought yet, but I think I'd like to try the 150AB and 150 Part.

My wife has a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots very well out to 800 yards. We both shoot 280 AI out to 800 yards so I have a fair amount of experience developing loads. Great round capable of taking anything in NA.
Sounds like you have an opportunity to get a nice rifle at a good price. Best of luck to you

JD338

I am getting sub MOA groups with mine using both the 160 AB and the 168 LRAB and full loads of H-1000. Mine will be used for elk. I have not gotten it out to distance, but that is coming very soon.

That is a great deal and I believe you will enjoy loading for the AI I personally load the 150gr. ABLR over top of RL22 :wink:.
I will be looking forward to your range report with photos I hope (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back