Remington 750 carbine

George_Grant

Beginner
Dec 30, 2017
Gun jams repeatedly using Remington factory with 250 grn. ammo, but works flawlessly with Hornady 200 grn. ammo
Anybody have an explanation? With the 250 grn. The bolt does not come back enough to eject the empty. I would have thought the extra weight hence recoil, of the 250 round would have been more successful in cycling the action. This 750 is a 35 Whelen.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I never had an issue with mine in any load. It sounds like the 250 load might not be hot enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the same, the Remington factory loads are quite under loaded and are basically at 358 Win speeds. I bet you are only getting around 2300 fps or there about and mild pressures.

One of the guys that occasionally hunts in our group shoots the same rifle and he also found that Remington factory ammunition did not perform well in his rifle. He has since switched over to Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225gr. and has not looked back.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the replies. The under loaded rounds would make sense.
I've got the dies but haven't loaded anything for the Whelen, so hopefully we can develop some good operating ammo.

GG

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Dunno if this will clear anything up før you but here in an excerpt from a letter I wrote to the late gun writer Al Miller.

"I do have some pertinent questions that somehow never seem to be mentioned. First, the factory loads I have chronographed in the .35 Whelen do not in some specs come aywhere near factory specs. I have gotten anywhere from 2250 FPS to 2380 FPS from the 250 gr. bullet. The accuracy from these loads were not that good either. (2 1/2 to 3 in.) Personally, I do not think they are not loaded to their full potential because of the Remington pump gun, Am I right on these points? I have reached 2550 FPS in my reloads with no apparent pressure problems. I quit there as it was 105 degrees that day. No use pushing my luck."

He did answer back and his response was more of a butt chewing than reasonable rebuttal. He informed me "that Remington had sophisticated equipment to test for pressures and that seat of the pants reloaders such as myself should pay heed to published data." Also said that maybe I should learn to shoot.

I apologize for taking it OT but the velocity and accuracy figures I quoted to Mr. Miller are correct. Since then I haven't run any factory ammo over the chronograph. Only my handloads. I'm thinking if the OP reloads, warming up the ammo would help with his problem. I don't know how hard one can push a pump or semi-auto but surely one can beat out wimpy factory loads by enough for reliable functioning.

Oh, and yes velocity did vary by that much from the Remington ammo as it was the only brand available at the time of the test and all shots were from the same box.
Paul B.

Box the POS up and send it my way....when you grow weary of it, seriously, let me know.

Back