Not everyone's cup of tea but a score in my book.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
I had a 6mm Remington in a Model 600 decades ago. Wasn't real impressed with the rifle but I did find the round a ball of fun. Another one I should have kept, lol.

Anyway, I've been watching the classifieds and auctions and this popped up.........at a price that had me slack-jawed for a few seconds, then I hit the BUY NOW button so fast and hard, I jammed my finger.....seriously.

Photos were "not good" in quality. Description....."lightly used"......7 feedbacks from the seller total and none in the last year. I was like EEEEK......red flags were waving but, I had bit the bullet and would follow through.

When it came, I was just flat astounded at the condition. Other than two dings between the bolt and the trigger and one lone inch long finish scratch in the butt.......not a mark, anywhere. Taking the barreled action out to look it all over and oil moving parts.....nothing. Perfect bluing end to end.

Made in March 1972, someone took immaculate care of this rifle so I asked the seller.
It had belonged to his best friend and for decades, when younger, they traveled together shooting varmints. Originally it had a long Unertl 10X on it and the bases were still on the rifle when it came. He said he swapped some services with the owner's son when he passed because the son had no use for it and he had had it "quite some time" but he too was at an age where going and doing was a chore and he felt it deserved to hunt.......once again.

Not to look TOO horrible, I hope, but I bought this shipped, for less than I have seen ANY short action 700 BDL go for in a long, long time. I kinda feel bad but the seller was just tickled it found a home where it would be used and appreciated.

Some old posts show some 6mm Remington fans are on the board so, I thought I would share.

Looking forward to running several load versions through this. Initial testing gave me HIGH hopes with three shots inside a dime at 100 yards out in my barnyard, shot leaning on my truck's hood.

I'm sure it will shoot "minute of deer" just fine.
God Bless
Steve

Photos attached, .......I hope.

Attachments

• 0904191247.jpg
    0904191247.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,920
  • 0904191247a.jpg
    0904191247a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,920
we all know the story of the 6mm and why it almost died and never got its legs under it after the 243 came out but it is the better cartridge in my opinion. We had a 600 6mm as well and I took a few deer with it before a hard winter and the need for horses feed sent it down the road. Later a slick little 788 in 6mm came home with dad one day, loved that little rifle too. 55gr BT at nearly 4000 for yotes and 95gr BTs at 3000 for deer. That little rifle saw a lot of both. Great grab, can't wait for the range report.

A mini-range report for you 26Nosfan, lol

I have a box of OLD 100 grain core-lokt Remingtons. I wondered how they would shoot simply because they do NOT measure .243 but .242. I kind of expected them to be all over, so.....I loaded up a bit stiff of a load with RL-17, made sure the ogive was back off the lands (nothing specific, just OFF) at .281 OAL.

I had re-adjusted the trigger before I went out. The owner had it WAY down, I mean like 6-8 oz but it felt a little "gritty" so, knowing it had not been shot for awhile I thought that it might need a little (very little) oil dropped in the trigger. I oiled it..........and when I closed the bolt it also released the trigger sear! Ahhh!

I adjusted it to "hunting weight" and think I went a bit too heavy. I had to concentrate too much on "squeeze " for my taste. The third shot, the one to the left, is "operator error". I knew when it went off I was to the left a tad.

Once the 700 243 I have listed sells I thought I'd drop in a Timney Elite 2-stage for giggles.

I've got a bushing neck sizer to get yet to go with my body die but I don't think anything I will do will improve much on this. It's still ME pulling the trigger. HA!

Outside to outside span is .621" A bit bigger than the one I shot yesterday with 87 grain Hornady spire points, loaded down a bit.

I'll probably get all the dies I want, put some work into it..........and it won't do a dang thing, LOL!
I don't think that will bother me a lot though.

Not too shabby, if I say so myself, for my old 65 dollar Jap Tasco scope!

Thanks for the replies, gang.
God Bless
Steve

Attachments

• 0904191642.jpg
    0904191642.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 1,887
That is a super nice find and it's going to shoot well by the looks of it. Those old Remington 700's are great rifles and the 6 mm Rem is a round that deserved better than it got.

I have a similar rifle I bought several years ago when I still worked part time at a gun/pawn shop. I went to work one day and there on the rack was a 700 Varmint 6mm that the previous owner had put in a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock. I asked the boss for an out the door price and, after thinking a minute, told me $500. I wasted no time in filling out the 4473 and completing the sale. I haven't shot it a lot but it makes a nice addition to the 308 and 7mm-08 Varmints I own as well.

I think my rifle is a few years newer than yours but I wouldn't have any concerns about your rifle or the way it's shooting so far.

Ron

I bet so, Ron. I had a Varmint 25-06 in 1969. First new rifle I ever bought. I lugged that beast up and down miles of RR tracks blasting groundhogs.
If I were younger and well off I wouldnt mind having the full set. Every one of the 5 or so Ive ever shot were tack drivers.

I wouldnt mind a standard BDL in 6mm to go with this but dang they go high. I'm watching one, newer version than what I prefer, closing on GB in the next two hours. It's already at $670.

Maybe someday. Be nice to have one of eash, IMHO.

Thanks
God Bless
Steve

You did well, Steve. Great cartridge that is definitely ignored by the majority. The rifle will serve you well.

You did very good as yes I am a Big Fan of the 6mm Rem and Remington Rifles. What a excellent rifle to shoot, not only Varmint's but I would carry that for Mule Deer and Antelope as well.

Wow! what fun! Good for you...everyone should have at least one that turns out better than expected. Like the man said, "It has a good home". Enjoy! CL

Great find! Enjoy! Hope you have many great adventures with it!
Always thought I would prefer a 6mm over a 243. Just never did get one.
Now that I have been playing with the 250 Savage, I think this is where I am going to stay.

Great score right there! That’s a beauty.

Don’t overlook a TriggerTech for your new rifle either. Been using them a bunch lately and haven’t been disappointed at all!

6mm Rem, 700 BDL nice! (y)

Dad gave me one back in 1974, and my youngest son still uses it for deer & varmint shooting. It has the sporter-weight 22" barrel.

Looks like yours is a real nice one!

Consider trying the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip - it's an excellent deer bullet. RL-22 is typically my powder choice with the 95-105 gr bullets.

Regards, Guy

Thanks, Guy. Anyone happen to know how much different RL-22 and RL-23 there is? I cant find squat on 23's density or how much different the burn rate is.

Thanks to everyone. I know I'm flat tickled with it, for sure.
God Bless
Steve

Great find Steve. Pretty obvious by my username that I am an unabashed 6mm Remington fan! Gophers to coyotes, antelope, deer, and a couple elk for me!! Out of my rifle I shoot a 100 gr. Nosler Partition. My son uses 90 gr. E-tips in his. IMR4350 has been the powder I've used so far mostly with some H4831SC thrown in on a few loads. I would imagine the 95 or 100 gr. Partition, 90 gr. AccuBond, or 90 gr. E-tip would all work nicely. Looks like she's going to be a shooter, and one that's nice to look at as well!

David

You have a very rare find there, and in great condition!
Congratulations on the acquisition!
I happen to like the 6mm Remington better than the .243. It's got just that much more oomph, and is as accurate.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks, again, to all, for the replies and the load recommendations.
God Bless
Steve

Back