Opinions and ideas welcome for a new gun.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I want to buy/build a 100yd fun target gun. My considerations are low recoil, larger than .224(to better see bullet holes), Inexpensive to load, built on a bolt action. I may use it for plinking and varmints under 300yds. I've been considering 6mmx45, 25-45 Sharps, 6,6.5,7 TCU or maybe 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel.
I really don't want to do a lot of work on the brass. Don't mind necking up/down or fireforming just not extreme case forming. Anybody have ideas?

Scott

I’ve been considering a Howa in 6.5 Grendel. Fun, no recoil, great bullet selection, budget, shoot great. Still capable of big or small varmints.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

I forgot to add that one. I almost pushed the bid button on Howa 1500 mini action. You can pick them up for about 300$.

TackDriver284":35h50akc said:
6.5 Creedmoor
Have a nice one already. Looking more along the lines of what I mentioned - smaller case.
Thanks for your input!

Ever considered a pistol chambering? 327, 357, 44. Plenty big holes to see, low recoil. Would be a challenge to reach out to 300yd but would be fun trying. I have a ruger 77/357 and it is fun to shoot, not necessarily a tack driver yet but fun to shoot

I have to AR uppers in 6.5 Grendel both Black Hole Weaponry. 1-8 twist , one 20” and one 24”. Reasonable to load. Recoil is a bit over 223. I have Bull barrels so negligible actually. Great fun accurate guns, good-close in or at range 600 yds plus.. love them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

300 Blackout would fit the bill. You can run 125 gr BT and pick them up from SPS when they are on sale. Lots of surplus brass options.
44 Rem Mag would be another option. I have shot both my Marlin 1894 and my S&W 629 Classic out to 300 yards.
It's fun lobbing lead that far at the steel gongs and very rewarding when you get a hit!

JD338

6x45 checks all your boxes. I bought a .223 bolt action to put a 6x45 barrel on but there's no flies on a .223 for this either. Get a better scope if you're having trouble seeing bullet holes.

desertcj":eok9ymgo said:
6x45 checks all your boxes. I bought a .223 bolt action to put a 6x45 barrel on but there's no flies on a .223 for this either. Get a better scope if you're having trouble seeing bullet holes.

6x45 seems like the easy button to me!

Now that i looked it up, the 25-45 might be fun to build in a bolt gun... dangit now i want a 223 donor..

Slimfinn":5r2o74r4 said:
Now that i looked it up, the 25-45 might be fun to build in a bolt gun... dangit now i want a 223 donor..

It’s contagious huh? :mrgreen:

SJB358":3d6apis4 said:
Slimfinn":3d6apis4 said:

It’s contagious huh? :mrgreen:

Yup! It would be pretty inexpensive to load, fun plinker

Back