Trying a different route with the 9.3x62.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
So while trying to sight in my 9.3x62 this weekend, I came to an issue with my rings slipping on my bases. After further checking the rear base screw was broken. This mount had to be drilled by the gunsmith because it was originally tapped for the xs ghost ring rear sight. Therefore the rear holes on the mauser 98 bases dont match. With deer season closing quick, and me no longer being able to see iron sights very well. So I decided to try something different. After looking at several double rifle setups with red dots I decided to cut the base down. I cut to to only use the front portion of the base, and mount my red forward of the action. This red dot served me well last year taking a couple deer. I know it looks kinda ridiculous, but it actually aims really fast. So this weekend I'll be resetting zero. Hopefully those two front base screws hold. Next summer I'll have a a new base cut for it hopefully.
77bdd22e05860cfc4997cd48704fc985.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A micro red dot like a RMR or vortex venom might allow for a better cheek weld. I’ve been toying with putting one on a 458 Lott in a forward position like that.

I think it’s fairly common to use red dots in Europe like that.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fine to me and should be deadly accurate at reasonable ranges!

Maybe too much "tactical" time for me with careers in the Marines and in law enforcement?

I know I’ve become a huge fan of RMRs and Leupold Delta Point Pros on pistols and carbines. I wished my shotgun was drilled and tapped. I’d slap a Delta Point on it in a second. Those little red dots are amazing for solid precision on short range sorta firearms.

Thebear_78":tteqvl48 said:
A micro red dot like a RMR or vortex venom might allow for a better cheek weld. I’ve been toying with putting one on a 458 Lott in a forward position like that.

I think it’s fairly common to use red dots in Europe like that.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I've struggled with the cheek weld on the rifle for some time. It had a nice old fajen stock on it. After it was swapped to the 9.3x62 that stock split. The hogue while I feel like it is a good hunting stock leaves some to be desired on the comb height. My setup for this year was the 0 MOA EGW base with warne maxima low rings, and a weaver k4 scope. The rings held the scope fine but would move up and down on the rail. Mayne it was steel rings on aluminum bases or something that caused that issue, I'm not sure. But even with that setup cheek weld was still not quite high enough. Once this season is over I'll try and find someone to drill out some new bases to fit my rear screw spacing. Or I may just put the XS ghost ring back on and wear my glasses lol.

Guy Miner":3g8gqh31 said:
Looks fine to me and should be deadly accurate at reasonable ranges!

Maybe too much "tactical" time for me with careers in the Marines and in law enforcement?
Thanks Guy!

SJB358":3gjk2w5u said:
I know I’ve become a huge fan of RMRs and Leupold Delta Point Pros on pistols and carbines. I wished my shotgun was drilled and tapped. I’d slap a Delta Point on it in a second. Those little red dots are amazing for solid precision on short range sorta firearms.
They are nice my brother asked if I wanted to put his micro dot on there. I spent $300 on this red dot last year, so figured I'd use it.

Be neat to hear your thoughts after your season is over on how you ended up liking it. Thought about one for my BLR 358 Win, or even better on a 357 or 41 magnum lever gun.

gerry":1aaa4i85 said:
Be neat to hear your thoughts after your season is over on how you ended up liking it. Thought about one for my BLR 358 Win, or even better on a 357 or 41 magnum lever gun.
I will report back after a few hinting trips

Last two shots to confirm zero at 100 yards. I think it will hold up fine but will we see once season gets here.
b943888639bbc33dd199949e173eaa45.jpg

Looks really good, I really like the holes Round Nose bullets make on a target :lol: Should work wonders on deer, I would love to see that load used on bear or moose too!

gerry":v9283zu1 said:
Looks really good, I really like the holes Round Nose bullets make on a target [emoji38] Should work wonders on deer, I would love to see that load used on bear or moose too!
I would believe it would make an excellent caliber for those critters. One thing the PPU bullet is not a very hard bullet and I'm pretty sure it is not designed for these speeds. I have taken two deer with the 286 gr hornady spire point at 2400 fps with varget. I thought they performed great until I tried the round nose bullets lol. Those big round nose bullets at 2500 fps were very dramatic on deer last year. Especially since they were all shot at dang near muzzle velocity lol.

I have two of the Delta points and one Venom on our bear guns in Alaska. Killed a porcupine across the river, 225 yards with the venom on a .450 bushmaster. You can reach out there a little with them, but they are perfect for up close work.
The Delta points are indestructible I think. The oldest one I have is ten years old, have not adjusted the zero since I mounted it on a .450 bushmaster.
I digress, I hope that works for you, I’m betting it will.

salmonchaser":1etoqm5m said:
I have two of the Delta points and one Venom on our bear guns in Alaska. Killed a porcupine across the river, 225 yards with the venom on a .450 bushmaster. You can reach out there a little with them, but they are perfect for up close work.
The Delta points are indestructible I think. The oldest one I have is ten years old, have not adjusted the zero since I mounted it on a .450 bushmaster.

Thanks salmonchaser!

salmonchaser":1f9smjbc said:

That’s good info Don! I’ve gotten to like those suckers a bunch.

That target from a couple of days ago looks really good.

And a 286 gr bullet @ 2500 fps is likely to do a mighty fine job on pretty much anything.

Nice work & best of luck this season!

Guy

Guy Miner":m4oerkx2 said:
That target from a couple of days ago looks really good.

And a 286 gr bullet @ 2500 fps is likely to do a mighty fine job on pretty much anything.

Nice work & best of luck this season!

Guy
Thanks Guy! Best of luck to you this season also.

Back