New Winchester in the house.

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Never really been a Winchester person. Had a couple, sold them, but just picked up a M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08. Nice rifle with a 2 piece bottom and controlled feed. Came with Way too big a scope, removed that and installed a Leupold 2.5-8. Feels MUCH better.

Took the stock off for cleaning. When putting it back together, what is the correct order for tightening the bolts and to what torque? Front lug is bedded.

Thanks

I would imagine somewhere around 50 inch-pounds. Tighten the 2 outer screws first, then snug the center screw. You don't want it tight or you will spring the action.

I tighten my wood stocked rifles to 30 in lb's on the front and rear screws. The middle screw gets 10 in lbs.

Congrats on that rifle. I has wanted one of them in a 7-08 for awhile. Love those older Classic's.

SJB358":3bp2h39j said:
I tighten my wood stocked rifles to 30 in lb's on the front and rear screws. The middle screw gets 10 in lbs.

Congrats on that rifle. I has wanted one of them in a 7-08 for awhile. Love those older Classic's.

30 is probably more appropriate for a wood stock. All mine are pillars or synthetic.

I've often thought of picking up one that looks just like that. Would make a lovely addition to my collection. You did well.

Back