Help with an old rifle please!

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
Howdy Guys,
Life’s been busy and we’ve managed to find our way back to Germany for a second tour. I was fortunate enough to complete the German hunting course and obtain my Jagschein. I purchased a Mannlicher-Schönauer GK in 7x57 and finally had the opportunity to shoot it. To my surprise and delight, it’ll put 3 in a little under an inch and a half with its 4x scope in claw mounts off my backpack, which is surprising considering the bore looks like it was bored with a corn cob (I think it may have had its fair share of corrosive primers during its lifetime). The trouble is that it’s shooting 4inches low and I can’t seem to figure out how to adjust the scope for elevation. It’s a Hubertus 4x36/81, which I found out seems to be made by Schmidt and Bender. For the life of me, I don’t know how to adjust it up and down. I tried removing the screw so that I could twist the turret, but it still wouldn’t budge. Does anyone have any experience with one of these or have any thoughts on how to adjust it? My windage is spot on, I just need it to come up about 6” at 100 yards. I appreciate any insight you guys might offer considering I hunt chamois this weekend and would like to use this rifle instead of someone else’s.
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• 34E6D005-3C7E-4486-BCD2-64E36084F878.jpeg
    34E6D005-3C7E-4486-BCD2-64E36084F878.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,030
  • B1C32568-8C31-4320-8C29-13536501ECA5.jpeg
    B1C32568-8C31-4320-8C29-13536501ECA5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,030
  • 6C985489-3A33-414D-B78C-E8E41F6F467C.jpeg
    6C985489-3A33-414D-B78C-E8E41F6F467C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,030
Can you contact Schmidt and Bender and ask for instructions or help from them? Lucky you on that rifle. I'd love to find one in 7x57. I had one in 6.5x54, the full stock carbine but it got stolen back in 1975.

Paul B.

After looking at your pictures I would think you would pull up on the turret knob and turn it.
I can see a detente ball bearing in the picture of the turret so that is why I would pull up on the knob.
But never having own one of these that is my best guess.
Or you could try and call Schmidt&Bender.

I’m wondering if the spring that pushes the inner tube up is week or broke.

The characteristic is you can’t adjust up. That’s why you tap the mounts to help make sure the spring pushed it backup.

Your scope could be end of life..

Maybe S&B would be willing to replace the scope or spring.(assuming that idea is a possibility)

Beautiful gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys,
Thank you for the help! I took it to a local German gunsmith and he got it squared away for me. He took out his channel locks and twisted the heck out of the turret, breaking it loose. He explained that the grease had solidified making it difficult to turn. I used it in Slovenia to hunt, but wound up using a friend’s rifle in 25-06 with a more modern optic for the longer ranges we were encountering and the smaller size of the chamois.
I appreciate everyone’s help with trying to get this thing afield!
V/R,
Joe

Glad you got it fixed. I should have recognised the issue about the grease. I've actually run into similar problems on some older scopes.

(y) Lovely rifle and a super cartridge/calibre..I'm very envious :mrgreen: .
I have two M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer's, one a Takedown model built in 1922 that I just had re-barrelled with a Krieger match barrel, in the original 6.5x54MSch, the other a 1936 proofed stutzen also M1903 in 6.5x54.

They are super rifles with really slick actions. I'd have thought just looking at the scope adjuster, it should simply turn click by click, no unlocking of anything?
However, I can't imagine you haven't already tried that.
Oooops, sorry, hadn’t read all the posts on the thread!

There is a forum called 'NitroExpress' http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ and there's a specific Mannlicher Schoenauer forum where some very knowledgable folk may be able to help you.
Good luck.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/postlist ... mannlicher

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1044768292377074/

This is awesome info and thank you for sharing it! What a cool website! You’ve got two great rifles of your own it sounds like. I just found a 1.5-6x36 Hensoldt scope in claw mounts with American style crosshairs that I hope to mount on the rifle. The 7x57 is really a peach to shoot and I’ll look forward to handloading for it in the future. It looks like 3000 FPS with 140s should be a snap after reading some of Scotty’s work. I’m having a lot of fun with it just shooting at the range, but I need to get back out in the woods again. Your Blaser sounds like a neat rifle and I recently learned what a great round the 25-06 is for mountain hunting gams when I used my friend’s R8.
V/R,
Joe

Joe, on the nitroexpress mannlicher website, page 2, a chap called RisingBite, Mike Holland, in Brisbane, Australia has a GK 8x68 with a Hensoldt scope...might be worth checking out with him scoping your rifle.
You’ll also find him on the Facebook page as Hike Molland. There are a couple of pics of his GK.
Here in UK we use Recknagel, Ziegler or EAW Apel mounting systems (All German manufacture) for claw, bases and rings.
The tricky bit is the rear QD base and offset leg/ring. I’ll post a pic later of mine when I’m at the desktop to illustrate what I mean.
But when done, the system works a treat. Does need a good gunsmiths attention though.

The Facebook page is called: Mannlicher-Schoenauer Collector and Shooter Group
Just register, answer the question and approval should be through pretty quickly.
Cheers & enjoy.

A007 MSch Zeigler and Recknagle Parts.JPG
MSch Scope Mounts 8.JPG
MSch Scope Mounts 10.JPG
MSch M1903 Rifle & Scope.jpg
MSch Scope Mounts 5.JPG
A008 MSch EAW Scope Parts.jpg

Cool rifle. I have a 1960's vintage Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA, in .30-06, with a Pecar Berlin 4-10x scope. Double set trigger, and that SMOOOTH M-S action. Sweet gun, I need to shoot it more.

bdbrown66":132rjst1 said:
Cool rifle. I have a 1960's vintage Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA, in .30-06, with a Pecar Berlin 4-10x scope. Double set trigger, and that SMOOOTH M-S action. Sweet gun, I need to shoot it more.

Sounds really good & yes, keep putting a few rounds through it (y) these are really great rifles with super slick actions.

Back