Tikka T3 vs T3x

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Been eye balling a Tikka 3 that's been sitting on a self for awhile and was wondering what is the major differences between the two? Is the scope mounting stable and secure on the T3? Is the price difference between the two worth the money? Do the magazines work ok? Share what you know about them. Thanks, Dan.

Stock, recoil pad, and ejector port is better on a T3X. T3 has an aluminum recoil lug vs steel on the T3X. I've noticed my 7-08 T3X feeds better than my 7-08 T3. Get the T3X.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

280Hunter":terarrrd said:
Stock, recoil pad, and ejector port is better on a T3X. T3 has an aluminum recoil lug vs steel on the T3X. I've noticed my 7-08 T3X feeds better than my 7-08 T3. Get the T3X.

Didn't realize the upgrade on the recoil lug, but knew the others.
Did they upgrade the magazines?

The T3x solves non-existent problems. The pad is softer, yes, but it still needs replacement by a Limbsaver. Ejection port is larger, apparently to facilitate easier single top loading. This detracts from the rigidity of the action imo, which could negatively affect accuracy. Metal bolt shroud is a non-issue. Stock looks the same.

Tikka isn’t making more T3 rifles so if you want to buy new you’re stuck with the T3x. I’d look for a used T3 and save a couple hundred bucks. Which is exactly what I do.

If you want more info feel free to PM me, I’ve been a Tikka homer for years.

.223, 7mm-08, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag

P

Pharmseller
Did you ever notice feeding issues with the T3? My T3 will not feed smooth , I usually have to slow cycle and even then a few rounds will get stuck.

I have 4 of the T3X's, 7-08, 22-250, 270 and 6.5 CM. Not a hiccup with feeding or function. Can't speak to the T3's, but my four have all been easy to shoot. The Stocks don't fit me real well, but if they fit you, they are plenty stiff and very serviceable.

280Hunter":oahnprsq said:
Pharmseller
Did you ever notice feeding issues with the T3? My T3 will not feed smooth , I usually have to slow cycle and even then a few rounds will get stuck.

Mine feed like starving baby birds.

That’s a creepy analogy but apt. That’s across 12-14 rifles in my family.

What cartridge are you having problems with?

P

I figured out it wouldn't feed with a M plus magazine, not sure why cause that's what I use in my other Tikka but it's a T3X.

M plus is an extended Medium that's standard with 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, basically for longer bullets.

I purchased additional M plus magazines for longer bullets in my Tikka T3X 7-08 which I also tried in my T3, it feeds but not great in the T3.

Back