Kevin Weaver 7 Mashburn

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gunsmith Kevin Weaver in Peyton, Colorado, finished a new 7 Mashburn just in time for elk season!

I took delivery 28 August 19. Kevin actually went a bit out of his way and dropped it off locally on his way through Cheyenne. Because he's pretty awesome like that.

Rifle details:
Wood from Roger Vardy in Australia
Stock and metal work done by Kevin (I think he sent the bolt out for bolt checkering)
Borden Timberline Magnum action (SS steel)
#2 Krieger, 8-twist (CM steel)
Dakota bottom metal
Nitride coating by H&M (Kevin sent it out for coating)
Talley Signature bases and Screw Lock rings
Leupold 6x42 LRD :eek:

In Wyoming:
n9jfw2G.jpg

In Idaho:
QQxC93m.jpg

In Utah:
Pt5w3YD.jpg

Shoots well, this is a 5-shot group. This is about as well as I ever shoot, the rifle is probably capable of better but I'm not! And looks like I air mailed a flyer at the top. Group was still less than 1 inch for 5 shots, plenty good for me. It's 160-grain Accubonds.
jIFSpy6.jpg

Load data:
P8THLak.jpg

Velocity around 3135 fps. No pressure signs. I could push it more but good accuracy, good velocity, I'm not going to mess with that.

The nitride is pretty terrific. I really like that the two different steels look identical. This is likely not the last rifle I have nitrided by H&M. And Kevin is about to work on fitting an Echols Shrike on my Remington 7 Mashburn, then I'll have a wood and synthetic Mashburn pair.

That is sure a fine looking rifle, Joel. Looks as though it wants to please you with the way it is shooting. You've done well with that one.

Man that things beautiful! Who says you should not hunt with pretty rifles, or that they look too nice to hunt with, not me! Congrats on the elk also.

Back