Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact 338 RCM

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
This concerns the 20", wood stocked version. Anyone have one of these? I was wondering how it compared to the 338 Federal or .308 on similar size/weight? I read where one fellow said he was having his Mag-Na-Ported to keep it out of his face. Everyone is different, I know, but just curious. If I feel it is nasty, I'll port mine too, I don't care. I've had several ported 45-70 shorties. It even made a difference on a couple, ha. Depended on the load, you understand.

I have the synthetic stocked version. I didn’t think recoil was excessive at all. Very similar to a35 whelen. In shooting 225gr Partition at 2600fps. I imagine the wood stocked version being tad heavier will only be more manageable.

21419ea550e2c407ee01dccd128d1776.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, have not shot one of these 338 RCM's. Would love to find one in a left handed version though.
Not sure if the following will help, but just for comparison...
Have been shooting my 3, 338 Federals (20", 22" and 24" barrels) some with 200-210gr factory loads and am really enjoying them. Factory recoil pads on the Ruger and Tikka, and have a Decelerator pad on my Winchester Model 88.
My 338 Win Mag was a lh Rem 700 BDL with the factory stock and 24" barrel. It kicked pretty hard with its old hard black rubber buttpad and Federal Premium 210gr Nosler Partition ammo. 20 rounds from the bench and my shoulder was well bruised and sore. Changed it out to a LimbSaver recoil pad. What a difference! I was able to shoot 60 rounds off the bench in a session and was not bruised or sore! Been sold on these recoil pads ever since for harder recoiling rifles, such as my 376 Steyr and 416 Taylor. The Steyr is a pussycat off the bench and the 416 is a good, but manageable, shove. Try one of these and you may not have to get your RCM ported!
Had a Magna-Ported 300 Win Mag once; will never have another ported or braked firearm again.

Thanks guys. I like the Limbsaver even better than the Decelerator! I will definitely have one of those put on. I shot my Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelen reamed to the Ackley just fine with a Decelerator on it. I only had a brake put on it when I had my neck fused. Why? Because my surgeon mentioned it to me with my wife in the room!! Arrgh! :)

Back