New/old 6mm Remington

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Recently I acquired a mystery gun from a friend. It is a very early, short action Rem 700 ADL with a 24” heavy barrel. “Wilson Custom” was the only thing stamped on said barrel.

Last week it went to my smith, near Bend for a chamber cast with the instructions that he should call me before he stamps the barrel. All kinds of exotic what if situations crossed my mind. When I finally got the call he said, “you’ve got a standard 6mm Remington!” Excited that I wouldn’t be out rechambering or rebarreling the gun I told him “stamp it!”

I got it back today. Have mounted the Leupold scope base and I have rings, am thinking about one of the various 6-18 power variables to mount on top. The plan here is a fun paper puncher with a dial system that may see the occasional deer, antelope and varmint.

I have three boxes of factory ammo (80 and 100 grain) but am anxious to try some of the heavier (105-108) grain bullets in the 1-9” twist with handloads.

I owned a 6mm once before which shot whatever 100 grain deer bullets we could find on top of 4350 or 4831. They shot well enough so didn’t bother playing around with handloading much. Gave my former 6mm to my Dad who loads the 55 grain yote-smokers at 4000 fps!!!

Any slam dunk loads out there? Please share your favorite recipes even if they’re not for heavy bullets!

bb6c79ee09cc921c4319c42c600db30a.jpg
7d919955b015be10b4c0e2b49da71add.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ya, there are a few of us 6mm Rem fans here...

1974, Dad gave me a brand new 6mm 700 BDL. It's still a terrific rifle and my youngest son has hunted with it for quite a while now.

95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (a bullet specifically designed by Nosler's lead bullet guy) over a max load of RL-22. With a 22" barrel we see about 3,000 fps and 5/8" groups at 100 yards.

Game has all died with one shot, nothing has moved after being hit. It's a for-real deer killer, near or far.

Guy

Since they were introduced, the ballistic tip, (Varmint & Hunter), has been my go to projectile for several calibers.
The 95 grain Ballistic is a favorite for Deer and Pronghorn in both my 6MM Rem and my son's .243W.

I purchased a number of Sierra 85 grain Varmenters for .05 each at an estate sale, and developed a wonderful load with H414, Magtec LR primers, in R-P brass. Easily a 1/2 MOA load, and a coyote & sod poodle busting delight.

I have 20 rounds built with Nosler 6mm 80 Grain Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullet
Part# 24080 with the same formula and I expect similar results.

In .243W and 6mmR the 55gr BT and the 95gr BT are THE GO TO bullets for us. IMR powder was my dads favorite because it was useful across most of the calibers be reloaded for, abundant and less expensive. In these 2 it was 3031 and 4350. 4000fps for the 55 and 3000fps for the 95 laid low many a 'yote and whitetail.

100 gr. Nosler Partition in my Ruger 1B using IMR4350 - 43.4 grs. Federal 210 primers. - Winchester brass

90 gr. Nosler E-tip in son's Ruger MKII using H100V - 44.5 grs.

The Nosler 90 gr. AccuBond would be a terrific one to use on everything up to deer, sheep, goats also.

Back in the 1960's I bought a "244Remington" in a Remington rifle. It had a 12" twist and only liked the 100 gr. Hornady RN bullet. Several CO mulies fell to it and didn't know it was a 12" twist bbl.!

Shortly thereafter the .243 Winchester and the 6MM Remington rifles hit the market, both with 10" twist bbls.

Jim

I'd have it glass bedded and the trigger adjusted by a gunsmith or put a Shilen or Timmeny trigger on it. On my dad's exact rifle I did these things and had a thin rubber butt pad put on. It's just a bit nicer than the plastic factory butt plate and it sticks to your shoulder nicer so it doesn't slip around. Nothing needed for recoil in a butt pad as in that heavy rifle the 6mm kicks NOTHING>

Very nice rifle. You will love it!

WE JUST NEED NOSLER TO START MAKING 6MM REMINGTON BRASS NOW! They do a lot more less popular and more oddball cartridges than the 6mm Remington. I sure wish they would hear our cries!!

6mm Remington":2p41s023 said:
WE JUST NEED NOSLER TO START MAKING 6MM REMINGTON BRASS NOW! They do a lot more less popular and more oddball cartridges than the 6mm Remington. I sure wish they would hear our cries!!

On the subject of brass, any favorites one way or another?

filmjunkie4ever":6vbynv26 said:
6mm Remington":6vbynv26 said:

Remington and Winchester for the most part.

As my supply of these wear out, I'm using Hornady.

I keep ammo separated by head stamp, and full length resize for each loading.

All things considered my 6MM is a low volume round, so case availability is not too much an issue

In all honesty, if there is a difference in performance, or longevity from one brand case to another, I can't see it.

filmjunkie4ever":1tea9ssr said:
6mm Remington":1tea9ssr said:

I like and use Rem brass in my 6mm. And pretty much along the lines of what I've found with Rem brass in other cartridges, if I anneal at least a moderate amount of around every 3 loadings I get very good case life across the board. Rem brass is pretty tough and hard brass, you have to be over pressure to begin to stretch primer pockets in my experience.

Not counting quality high dollar brass like Lapua, etc, My favorite standard brass in order is Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal. The Federal brass I've messed with is too soft. I get the same inclinations about some Hornady brass but at least they make brass in cartridges that are sometimes tough to come by.

Very nice rifle in a real sweetheart chambering.

JD338

I bought my first 6MM in 1976 and at the present time I own two of them and have sold two others over the years. The 788 I bought in '76 now is on it's fourth barrel and wears a custom walnut stock. This rifle has always been my favorite. At the present time I also have a Ruger 77MKII 6MM that I am quite fond of.

I have always used Rem Brass and Fed210M primers for my loads.

75HP Sierra, 48.0 or 49.0gr RL19 depending on the rifle.
80SPBT Sierra, 40.5gr IMR4064
85HPBT Sierra 46.5gr IMR4831
100gr Sierra or 100gr Hornady 45.0gr IMR4831 or 45.5gr RL19
These are my favorite loads for my rifles over the years.

FilmJunkie, you asked about good loads in not necessarily heavy bullets. Start below this and work up in your gun as it is right at max load, but I have a lot of confidence in it. 47.5 gr IMR 4831. Rem brass, CCI 200 primers, Sierra 85HPBT. Seated .050 off the lands to start has worked out well for me in this setup. In a 22" barrel, velocity should be at or nipping on the heels of 3100.

In a 18.5" thin barreled Model 7 at 100 yds. Has remained a consistently accurate load when I shoot it, in a otherwise sometimes finicky gun. Haven't messed with the load in this gun beyond this.

And just last week in a 22" M 760 pump gun at 100 yds. Same everything including seating .050 off lands. This gun when it came was shooting factory ammo like it was chunking rocks. A complete disassembly and cleaning including removing some rust and gunk from both the shoulder and neck area of the chamber got the same factory ammo down in the 1.5" area, but this load shrunk it in half from there.

In the 760 after this I tried both 47.4 and 47.7 gr's along with changing the seating depth from .050 off to .035 off. It shot every 3 shot group in the mid to high .6's with all changes I tried. Point of impact was all that moved some as I made changes, so I'm back to 47.5 and .050 off. Fairly wide and forgiving accuracy node up at the top.

Back