Recomend a BPCR or muzzle loader to shoot for fun

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Watched a guy on Youtube shoot his H&R 45-70 with some black powder loads. Goodness that looks like fun. Don't think I'd choose to hunt w/ one but if a guy wanted to punch paper and make big clouds of smoke on a real budget what would you recommend? Used is fine, but looking for a > $200 rifle here. Would prefer cartridge but don't even know if that's possible? CL

On a muzzle loader I can recommend the TC Hawken in either .50 or 54 caliber. Lyman makes a .50 caliber plains rifle as well and I believe in .54 as well. I have all the above except the .50 cal. TC Hawken. That one was BTW my first muzzle loader. The usual deal, somebody was willing to pay more than I had into it. The cheapest way would be a kit. One of the projects while I was teaching Hunter Ed was as we were also teaching muzzle loader it would be cool to build one. So, my late wife and I got kits. Mine never got finished and her's never got started. For me, mostly it was I just didn't have the time to put into it.
Short start; when I had my TC .50, I'd just bought it. I was living in Nevada at the time. My hunting buddy and went out that night on our usual run of terrorizing the jack rabbit population and we ran into a couple of kids doing the same. I knew on as he was the son of one of my co-workers. They were curious about the TC and as we stood around a jack rabbit came into the glare of the truck's lights. So, the rifle had been charged so all I had to do was put a cap n the nipple and shot the rabbit, right? Well there was a bright flash, tons of smoke, no rabbit in sight but the sparks from that load started one mean grass fire. That stuff was dry and like gun powder and it took us about an hour to control and finally put the fire out. I always made sure to shoot that thing over bare ground after that. I even cast the balls I shot in them too.
One of the instructor who has now long passed away was a real muzzle loading guy. He built all his own guns and did just about all he hunting with the. He always got his deer and most of the time his elk as well so they are viable to hunt if you wanted to.
Paul B.

Back