Mesa 6.5 Creedmoor scope options

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Would like opinions please. I am seriously considering getting one of these for a coyote/deer rifle. I know I can kill elk with it, but it would be a spare to my 300WM. I have a Burris Timberline 4.5x14 AO that has been exceptionally accurate, and clear. But it weighs 15 oz, a foot long. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 that is about same length, but 13oz. I can get a Weaver 2x10 that is only 10.7 ox but over a foot long ( no deal breaker, only 1 inch longer and 1 oz heavier than the SWFA 2x10 Ultralight but only half the price) and/or a similar weight 2.5x8( 11oz) or a fixed 6x (10oz).

Now, like most older guys, I shoot more load workups than hunting anymore. I sure don't want a ultra LWT because (a) I ain't going down into some godawful canyon, nor miles from the road/camp. Neither am I a sheep hunter, no, not even close! ha. I do love to call coyotes, love to deer hunt, but its usually late season does anymore. I just like the handiness of the little Mesa. (B) lighter than 6.5 pds I can't shoot them that well. But I don't call this rifle (6.5 pds) an Ultra lightweight for its caliber. I don't want to overpower its handling capabilities with a monster scope though and I want enough power to see coyotes out around 3-4 hundred yards. What do you think?

I went with a Leupold VX-3 LR 4.5-14x40 with the Varmint Hunter reticle on my Browning X-Bolt LH All Weather 6.5 Creedmoor. Works great out to 500 yards with that reticle. Rifle and scope isn't as light as your rig, but is still nice to carry and shoot, and handles well even when shooting off hand.
Your Timberline weighs the same at 15 oz. and is 1/2" shorter than mine. Would be my recommendation as you will be spending time at the range with it too doing load workups.

The Burris FF II is a proven platform so it would be a top choice. If you like the Burris 4.5x14 scope you have that might be the prefect scope for a gun like that.

Out of curiosity how hard is it to get behind that 4.5x14 Timberline scope? I ask that because a few years ago I tried to use a Timberline 3-9x32 but the eye box was so awful I couldn't use the thing, it just kept blacking out even with slight changes in head position. They did discontinue the 3-9's a long time ago with only the 4.5-14x32 left so maybe it doesn't have the same issues?

Thanks guys. Its an easy scope to shoot, eye box is pretty quick to get behind. I never noticed an issue with it and I'm an old Leupold boy! :)

Blkram- I was just considering the Mesa, but I found a Kimber Hunter Kyptek in 280AI I think I'm going to go with. Depending upon whose literature you read, it weighs from 4.4lbs, 5lbs 10oz, or 6.3 lbs! I think they mean "its pretty light", ha

preacher":jlc946ji said:
Thanks guys. Its an easy scope to shoot, eye box is pretty quick to get behind. I never noticed an issue with it and I'm an old Leupold boy! :)

Thanks, it sounds like a no brainer then. FWIW I would think the Mesa would be a somewhat better choice for what you are wanting to do than the Kimber.

Thanks Pard. I still have to sell off a couple rifles to put me in the "catbird seat", so to speak, ha.

I just can't get the Mesa out of my mind, ha. I feel better, too, about the Creedmoor for coyotes/deer. I have a 300WM and even have a great Hornady 110Vmax load for it, so I have the heavy coyote calibers covered, ha. My Marine SIL was interested in the 280AI/Kimber package, however, he has a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Mag that is same weight, and even better ballistics, for elk. It would be pure redundancy for him. He has already descended into the godawful hole where they hunt and killed a nice 5 pointer with the 7 Mag. Myself, I kind of want a rifle that isn't all boot n bellow when I shoot off the bench or out in the desert toodling around. I'm more into the "walking varminter" stage right now. :)

Sounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor is the option for you, and that Mesa is a pretty neat little rig. With a lighter rifle, a cartridge with less recoil is going to be more pleasurable to shoot a lot.
Was chatting with another person who has one and found it very accurate with the best trigger he has ever used. Saw pics of his 200 yard target with 0.35" 3 shot group. Definitely a shooter!
Been thinking of the Ridgeline as I would like to have a lh rifle with a carbon fiber barrel.
Saw too many Kimber rifles in the years past with accuracy issues; realize they may have fixed them now, but that history is still there.

I have two walking varminters if I use the lighter weight bullets (100-120gr); my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 250AI. Although my 250Ai rifle is not as light (a rebarrelled lh Rem 700 CDL) as my 6.5 CM rifle (a rebarrelled lh Browning X-Bolt All Weather). They areboth very pleasurable to shoot. My wife really likes shooting the 250. Neck the 6.5 CM down to quarterbore and you basically have the 250AI case(or another wildcatter has named it the 2Fity-Hillbilly, when necking down 6.5 CM brass vs blowing out the 250 Savage case).

Sounds like a great gun, we'll watch for how it works for you when you get it. Pretty sure you are going to be very happy with it.

Love the Mesa! Love that Trigger Tech trigger in them also! I can adjust it myself, w/o removing the stock. Has audible "click" for 1 oz of weight! I can shoot it light at targets/varmints and in late season cold, increase the weight so my old sore hands don't muff the shot! ha I did that with a Mod 7 22-250AI with a Kepplinger single set trigger once. I had that coyote dead to rights, only about 100yds away, so my "personal whammy" took over ( ala Jack O'Conner) and I set it (ozs), then proceeded to touch it off w/o even having the scope on it! ha I shot her later with it unset, (2 1/2#)

Blkram, what scopes do you have on your walking varminters you mentioned?

Preacher,

I have the same scope on both rifles now; the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR with Varmint reticle. Originally had the Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50 B&C scope on the 250AI, but changed it for the 40mm scope as I just prefer the smaller objective scope on my hunting rifles. These scopes have 30mm tubes and side paralax adjustment. Like the finer crosshair for target shooting, and the extra dots for 20 mph wind holds.
Liked the VX-L as the cut out allowed for lower mounting over the barrel, but in the end, preferred the 40mm.

When they first came out I used a 4.5-14x40AO on a few rifles, then gave it to my Pastor for his Mod 700 7mm Rem Mag, which I had previously given to him. This was one of the first stainless synthetic ADLs ( early 90s) all I did was have my smith adjust the Mike Walker trigger it had and I gorilla tightened down the receiver screws. No bedding/free floating, just stock. I loaded up some of the then available Barnes 120x with R22. I once shot a 3 round, 300yd group of 1 1/8" with it! anyhow, I had a Sightron 2-10 compact, sent him home to Texas with it. Then later "swapped him" the 4.5x14 for the 2-10. I was with him when he made a good 400yd shot on a Spanish goat/Ibex in Texas with it! Even though later on, I gave him several high dollar rifles...he hunted with that 7mm Mag the most! He is gone now, I sure miss him. Well, I will see him when I get there myself! ( I'm "shooting for 120yrs" myself!) :)

Just picked up my Mesa at the GS! Ooh...sweet! I wish my computer recognized my phone, but it don't, so no pics! Sorry. Its the Black stocked, grey metal one.

preacher":3g38k7yp said:
Just picked up my Mesa at the GS! Ooh...sweet! I wish my computer recognized my phone, but it don't, so no pics! Sorry. Its the Black stocked, grey metal one.

I just bought the same gun last Saturday, the MESA in 6.5 CM. I put a Maven RS3, 5x30, 50mm on it. This is the first “semi-custom” rifle I’ve ever owned, and the first newer caliber too. I loaded 50 rounds of ELDM 140’s today, and I’ll do the barrel break-in tomorrow. Can’t wait to shoot it.

Back