Brandy & Gunbroker...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I may have had an after-dinner brandy... Just sitting here in the family room. Fireplace putting off a cheery glow and nice warmth. Mama on the couch reading with the dog curled up next to her. Me puttering around on the computer...

And... I blame it on the brandy.

My resolve to buy no more rifles weakened. Awaiting delivery on a 21 year old Ruger Number 1S, in 7mm Rem mag...

Sigh...

From the photos on Gunbroker it appears to have very plain, straight-grain stocks. That's fine. I'm thinking that the 1S, with the 26" barrel, will be a very nice compliment to my 375 1-H.

Photos when the rifle arrives at my local dealer. I already have a nice older 2-7x Redfield ready for it. Rummaged around and found 100 new brass I'd squirreled away some time ago. Bought a hundred, 160 grain Partitions for it. Picked up a box of Remington factory 140's as well...

Can't find my dies. May have given them away several years ago. It's been quite a while since I had a 7mm rifle.

Price was good, $900. That's more than I've ever spent on a Number One, but... hundreds less than the brand new ones I was looking at on GB and elsewhere. Owner told me that he bought it new in 1998, shot it a few times, cleaned it and put it in the safe. I hope it's in good condition. Appeared to be. He said that it shot well when he used it 20 years ago.

Ah well. Yes, blame the brandy.

Guy

One of the rifles that just has that most class of any rifle out there. Such a classical design and elegant execution. It should make for a nice compliment to your 375.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, the brandy is responsible. However, sounds like you picked up a solid deal. The cartridge is definitely one of the finest working cartridges one could imagine, and the rifle is classic. Sounds as if you did well.

There is an old saying, “En Vino Veritas!” That’s Latin for, “in wine, the truth.” You had denied yourself a new gun for too long my friend. What make of brandy was that again?

Can’t wait to see pictures Guy. I’m sure it will be a fine rifle/cartridge.

I was perusing the internet myself and I was thinking I have lots of rifles lots of calibers but you know maybe for Christmas I’ll pick up a 50 BMG. Just for fun. I showed my wife a pic of one she looks me in the eyes David” no more rifles. I said to myself that was a definite “NO”. So screw it Im going to get some Lehigh Defense .338 254 gr Solid match bullets. G1BC .896. Out of my 338 win Mag with a stout load I should be able to get 2,900 FPS out of my McGowen Precision 1-10 twist barrel. StrelokPro shows with a 300 yd zero 5.5 mills drop at 1,000 yds with a .98 mil drift with a 10 mph crosswind at sea level. At sea level 2,000 yds still at 1,290 FPS. Makes the 338 win Mag a ultra long range rifle, no joke. So enjoy the rifle Guy. I am in a holding pattern here. But I can still buy whatever bullets I want. Just going to keep it between the guard rails here. Enjoy!!!!

I fully understand Guy. My evening sipping whiskey has bought me more rifles and hunting gear that I care to let the wife know about. I've had a pretty good run since she knows very little about rifles but sadly I think she is catching on. I Only hope she doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for them, if so some is going to get a hell of a deal. :mrgreen:

Ok I need to try brandy. I was outbid on a beautiful 257 Roberts 1A last week; thought I had it, then poof. My first effort at buying off gunbroker.
I’ve been procrastinating since I returned from Alaska, been looking at all kinds of rifles, I really like the Ruger #1.

OU812":3kfp65vq said:
I fully understand Guy. My evening sipping whiskey has bought me more rifles and hunting gear that I care to let the wife know about. I've had a pretty good run since she knows very little about rifles but sadly I think she is catching on. I Only hope she doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for them, if so some is going to get a hell of a deal. :mrgreen:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2gdsatke said:
Ok I need to try brandy. I was outbid on a beautiful 257 Roberts 1A last week; thought I had it, then poof. My first effort at buying off gunbroker.
I’ve been procrastinating since I returned from Alaska, been looking at all kinds of rifles, I really like the Ruger #1.

Get enough brandy on board and you won't get out bid. Crown royal apple hasnt let me down yet. Be warned there is a fine line between not getting out bid on 1 rifle and not getting out bid on several rifles. :lol:

I guess being a FFL is a good thing, since I don't get out bid, but it's hard on the wallet. I blame Zanders for all the good deals. :lol: Being sick for the last few days has been expensive. Oh well back to work I go.

It’s a hobby. Learning the nuances of a great gun and cartridge.

Congratulations! 7mm is one of my chronic itches.. as something in a 338 or 35 Whelen is as well..plus I like the WSM’s. I don’t have a full set of those...
I like thankful otters H&H collection, 275, 300, and 375. What a brilliant idea!

Will be nice to see the pictures and some targets when you get a chance to send some down range.
Congratulations Guy nice bidding.

Just checked #1 this morning on gunbroker there are a couple of 300H&H and a .275H&H. I have the .375, what the hell its too early for brandy.

Since I don't drink brandy or whiskey, I have yet to come up with my "excuse"! LOL
Oh, that's it, wrecked my ankle again this week, and have been sitting with my leg up more than usual!

Not to worry about being outbid on GunBroker...I was on a Lipsey's Ruger #1 RSI in 257 ... only to be the successful bidder on another a couple of weeks later, for a better price!
Is it a) "all good things come to those that wait", or b) "things happen for a reason"?

We all work hard for our money, and if we can afford it, why not spend some on the pleasures in our lives? I'm pretty sure we all have spoiled our wives too!
Others travel or collect different items, such as boats or horses; seems to me that rifles and hunting/shooting is just as good a hobby as anyone else's, and it can keep the freezer filled!

I am having fun with the 338 Federal cartridge and rifles, but have been finding that I am going back again and again to look online at the Cooper rifles, and the Model 54 Classic Left Hand. With open sights and French Walnut...(sigh!)
Found a couple of WTB ads online, so here we go...sell the Tikka and Ruger and order the Cooper...will take 6-9 months, cost as much as any of my custom rifles did...
I know it will be worth it, just as it was to wait and get my lh Sako's in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. They are beautiful rifles that shoot very well!!!

Congrats Guy on the new acquisition! I'm sure you will enjoy it and it will bring many new adventures and memories while out hunting with your son!

I've been fooling around with the idea of getting a new rifle for several months. Perhaps I should try brandy!

A #1 in 7 mag would be a nice one to try.

Holy smokes! Congrats on the 7 Rem in the Number 1! I’ve wanted one of those for quite awhile actually. You, David, Fotis and few others are really a bad influence. Add a bit of Jameson and it can get bad pretty quickly.

Hope it’s a great one though Guy! Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

hodgeman":236w9s8g said:
I've been fooling around with the idea of getting a new rifle for several months. Perhaps I should try brandy!

A #1 in 7 mag would be a nice one to try.

Brandy will help make up your mind. Post pictures of your new rifle when you get it. (y)

They have a mighty nice 270 Weatherby Number 1.... Thankfully it’s Sunday...

I don't know.... you've been giving the '06 some good workouts and press....maybe its time to do that with the 7 MAG? :) . You know already there isn't much the big 7 cant do with authority. In a #1? Well that should be a fun one to experiment with. Didn't you have a Winchester "coyote" in 7mag once upon a time? Maybe you need a 7Mag to keep it all in balance. CL

Back